• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pulling my hair out

toucan_graphics

A client comes to me with a logo request and from our initial meeting and subsequent emails came up with a tentative logo - nothing wonderful yet but a basic design direction. I've made several changes and modifications and just received an email this morning asking about changing everything. I don't care about changing everything since he is paying for design time, but his newest idea is not something I feel is in his best interests.

The top logo is the one we came up with over the past week or so. The bottom one is what he typed up last night.

Any suggestions? What would you do with this logo? Would you give the customer what he wants and walk away? WOuld you advocate for the original design & continue modifying it or suggest a third option yet to be created?

Thanks in advance.

piedmont-wtf.jpg

fresh

From looking at both designs, I think the client does not want any photoshop gymnastics. Honestly, apart from the unauthorized use of Papyrus, I like the bottom one better.

Perhaps you can show him a few better font choices, and limit the number of buttons that you push :)

Good luck!

TammieH

I think sometimes people will see a font and think it is cool or original, not knowing how over used it is, then they become myopic, they just know they want that font
and no matter what its difficult to get them to see anything else...no advice here, sorry. Accept Papyrus is a bit dated, and doesn't really fit, maybe you can explain that to your customer.

InstantOneMedia

Unfortunately, you'll need to go with the logo they want. It's not worth your time or frustration to try to convince them otherwise. And they may get upset when they see a larger than expected design fee because you tried to change their mind. For the record, I like yours better.

toucan_graphics

From looking at both designs, I think the client does not want any photoshop gymnastics. Honestly, apart from the unauthorized use of Papyrus, I like the bottom one better.

Perhaps you can show him a few better font choices, and limit the number of buttons that you push :)

Good luck!

The original had no effects at all and the gymnastics were at the request of the customer.

I agree about Papyrus... Welcome back to 1983 lol.

I think he is just experimenting with many different styles - hopefully I will land him on a style he likes that doesnt include papyrus.

Ken

squint test...

Have the client stand back, do the squint test . He will easily see your design is superior.
In his design, I do like the IDEA of tucking " Virtual Tours" under the 360. However, it is way too small.
How about with your design, placing Virtual Tours under Piedmont and increasing the size of 360? Just a thought. Cheers! Ken

MtnView

Putting aside the worst font part of the equation it will suit most forms of printing (signs, banners, business cards, screen printing, pad printing) but I hope they don't want to embroider down the road.

Jillbeans

Some part of me will always like Papyrus just the teeniest bit (for Church bulletins only)
Usually when people "discover" that font they simply must have it. If you're doing cut vynull, it's one of those fonts (like the dreaded Mistral) that sucks to cut and weed due to the many nodes.

Anyhoo, Eras, which you are using, is also right there in the 90s and very dated looking. I've always hated its indifferent slantiness. If forced to use it I always bust it up and kern it within an inch of its life.

Here's a quickie suggestion using a distressed "artsy" font and any old number I happened to grab, along with the dreaded Hellvetica. Maybe a little subliminal poking going on there.
Also threw in the only rendition I can find of a logo I did with almost that same symbol.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 360shirt.jpg
    360shirt.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 113

Dan Antonelli

Virtual Tours are more high tech technology, so I don't quite get the use of Piedmont in kind of a dated face, Papyrus or not.

Something like this I would tend to go modern san-serif for all type, and look for a graphic or image that connotes motion, or something circular in nature, maybe with some transparencies.

It's always a fine line giving them what they want versus what they need. We get a ton of inquiries for truck wraps and so many start by saying 'I already have a logo'. Normally, their 'logo' is terrible, and when I see it, I gently explain why it won't work for the medium, and therefore we don't want to be responsible for designing something we know is destined to fail and deliver a poor ROI. What's interesting is we get a lot of work saying 'no'. People tend to really stop and consider it. Oh course, some people think we're crazy, and they go somewhere else with their terrible logo and brand and essentially throw their money away. You just always have to balance the type of company you want to be and what you want to be known for. And you have to balance the economics of what you can turn away, and what you need to do to survive.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The only way to overcome Papyrus is to defeat it.
You have to throw back another "fancy" font that hopefully will appeal to the customer.
Here is 10 minutes worth of work towards what I think they want. The "360" needs some tweaking.

*edit: missed some critical info in the artwork...

Attachments

• junk-piedmont.jpg
    junk-piedmont.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 89