• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

QR Codes in the Sign Biz

Doyle

How about a tech savvy realtor that does a video walk-through of each of their homes for sale. They could post it on youtube, and make the QR code point to the video. So you see a house for sale that you are interested in, walk up to the sign and scan the code and instantly you are looking inside the house with an audio commentary from the listing agent....

EVERYONE should be using these...

Doyle

What about size of code that needs to be printed? Is it distance effected? so many questions.

Doug

That is where your job starts... trial and error, see what works best, know from experience that way you can better help your customers.

Custom_Grafx

What does everyone using iPhone use to read?

I just downloaded something called "Bakodo". It was free and seems to work well. Are there any others worth looking at?

J

john1

I thought of using a QR on the back of my cards or something but idk just seems like abuncha gibberish to me. I know what it does but if they already have your card why put your card info on a business card? Not everyone has a smartphone and just because someone doesn't does not mean they aren't a good client to have.

Custom_Grafx

I thought of using a QR on the back of my cards or something but idk just seems like abuncha gibberish to me. I know what it does but if they already have your card why put your card info on a business card? Not everyone has a smartphone and just because someone doesn't does not mean they aren't a good client to have.

Might be an idea to put both? Person with a smartphone can then figure out what it is, and instead of manually having to enter your details in the phone, they can just scan it.

I'll be thinking about this over the next few weeks and come up with something handy.

Doyle

What does everyone using iPhone use to read?

I just downloaded something called "Bakodo". It was free and seems to work well. Are there any others worth looking at?

The app called "redlaser" works great, and is free.

I am in the process of designing graphics for a bar top at a local Chicago Cubs bar. I showed the owner my idea of placing QR codes in the graphics next to photos etc. that link to Wikipedia articles and Youtube videos. He loved it.

For example, any cubs fan knows the Steve Bartman 2003 incident, I have placed a QR code next to a picture on the bar so when patrons scan the code, they actually get to see the famous incident in a video. I have also placed a QR code next to Harry Caray's photo that links to a youtube video of him singing "take me out to the ballgame" in a game from the 90's.

Custom_Grafx

The app called "redlaser" works great, and is free.

I am in the process of designing graphics for a bar top at a local Chicago Cubs bar. I showed the owner my idea of placing QR codes in the graphics next to photos etc. that link to Wikipedia articles and Youtube videos. He loved it.

For example, any cubs fan knows the Steve Bartman 2003 incident, I have placed a QR code next to a picture on the bar so when patrons scan the code, they actually get to see the famous incident in a video. I have also placed a QR code next to Harry Caray's photo that links to a youtube video of him singing "take me out to the ballgame" in a game from the 90's.

Very cool! Sounds like the best way so far to interface between physical visual advertising and smartphone mediums.

Art galleries should have these next to each painting.

Jon Aston

I know I'm a broken record on this subject, but any sign company that can demonstrate the results they're helping customers achieve has a substantial advantage over those who can't. And most can't. Most frankly can't be bothered. And - to be fair - measuring results isn't easy. QR codes present an excellent opportunity to make it easier.

I would suggest experimenting with a campaign of your own first... and - especially in this case - there really is no time like the present.

Hopefully food for thought.

GB2

Old Member
I'm working on a huge QR program but I'm looking for good reliable tracking services. Does anyone have any good recommendations for tracking of QR codes?

Jon Aston

I'm working on a huge QR program but I'm looking for good reliable tracking services. Does anyone have any good recommendations for tracking of QR codes?

It all depends on what, specifically, you want to be able to track...

You can use something as simple as http://bit.ly, or get as sophisticated as generating/tracking personalized QR codes for (for example) variable data direct marketing campaigns... which requires a more integrated solution, such as http://www.mindfireinc.com.

There are many commercial services available, but many are lacking. If your client has a decent budget to work with, you might even want to consider hiring a developer to build to spec. A good developer can do it in 1-2 billable days.

GB2

Old Member
Thank you Jon, I will look into those suggestions. One of these days soon I'm going to give you a call too. Judging from all the helpful advice and suggestions that you constantly offer for free and the glowing reccomendations of others, I can only imagine the benefits you have to offer to your regular clients.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Our company started using QR codes some time ago.

Some people can dismiss QR codes as a fad, but I think they're here to stay in terms of uses like data on business cards. It's just super convenient to have one's full contact info digitized into a QR code. Someone with an Android phone, iPhone or Blackberry can scan it and instantly save all that contact info without having to manually key in the data. Nice!

I think the QR codes are a fun way to stick funny, tasteless or stupid messages on random objects around town. Anyone who sees a QR code stuck on a lamp post is going to be curious as to what data is held in it.

The only thing I fear with QR codes is scumbag criminals embedding viruses in them.