• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

QR Codes in the Sign Biz

Doyle

Not sure if anyone else has been playing with QR codes or not, they seem to be catching on pretty quickly in my area. I know the technology has been around for years, but with the smartphone age upon us, they are becoming more and more useful. Our local chamber of commerce is starting to use them in a weekly coupon program, and I have shown mine to a few customers who are just astonished with how it works.

The attached image is a QR Code for my mobile optimized website (which is still a work in progress). I am starting to incorporate the code on my marketing materials, business cards etc. Even if only a small percentage of people know what they are, it is still so cool that I can't help but be excited for how my customers might use them once they are more mainstream.

If you have a barcode scanner on your phone, check out my site, let me know if it displays properly. I am checking it on my iphone and everything looks good, but not sure about other phones. Thanks!

Attachments

• mobilesiteQR.jpg
    mobilesiteQR.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 95

iSign

great!!

the maps, email and phone links work... but you know that already now..
nice talking to you...

p3

I started using the microsoft tag.

http://tag.microsoft.com/consumer/index.aspx

You can actually track how many times its scanned, and edit it. so if you want a deal or something to be scanned for so long, you can set active dates on it. Similar to a QR code although you may need the app for it on your phone. I have seen more and more companies use this in their print ads and some banners around town. I think its a pretty cool idea, just will be some time before it becomes as common as the QR code.

iSign

you can get tracking data on QR codes too...

by the way, I didn't mention that I have also printed these on my latest forms, and business cards, as well as a lot of decals for a promotional talk I did, discussing new trends in visual marketing.

I'd like to note that while I try to be up to the cutting edge in my technology awareness... working with Jon Aston as a marketing consultant always pushes me further & faster onto that cutting edge... and he gets credit for my QR code awareness being where it is

joeshaul

Done em for a few programmer friends and geeks, since that was my former career, I've been aware of them for some time. I've also noticed them finally starting to catch on too though, seeing them on people's shirts and other various places. I'm seeing it as a trend, but it could evolve into something bigger, who knows.

VinylLabs.com

I've been using QR codes for a few years now. the one on my business card pulls my vcard to their phone.

my next iteration of my business card is going to have a styalised QR code, just to make it look different, I just dont know if people will understand that it's a qr code however :(

something like this:

Attachments

• 370z_qrbiz1.jpg
    370z_qrbiz1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 74

CheapVehicleWrap

I'd stay away from the MS tags...even QR aren't going to be scanned as often as you like. Although you can make them look pretty, you can also make them not even look like a code. Besides when/if if it catches on, it will no longer be a free service.

Thanks for the comment. Wherever there's a need for a cheap wrap, we'll foil it.

Doyle

I don't think we have even realized the potential yet. For now, they seem a little gimmicky, possibly a fad. But think about visiting a museum that had a QR code next to some/all exhibits that linked to an audio commentary. Or possibly for a band to include a code on all of their flyers, so people can scan it and be instantly taken to a youtube video or mp3 file to preview their music.

A good list of possible applications:
http://goo.gl/pPVd

iSign

I've been using QR codes for a few years now. the one on my business card pulls my vcard to their phone.

my next iteration of my business card is going to have a styalised QR code, just to make it look different, I just dont know if people will understand that it's a qr code however :(

something like this:

so, this code gets a text message of "370z" all cued up to send to a (your?) phone number... what is that for?

Gene@mpls

I put my 1st one on last Monday on a parts delivery van and did one
of these vans every day till Thursday (ie four vans) and by Friday they
had such a reaction to them that they decided to develop a separate website just for the QRs. When they came in they didn't know what a
QR code was- just wanted a Facebook and Tweet logo- they are pretty
happy with us now.

Doyle

Just an FYI, if you want to include some quick instructions for people that see your codes but don't have a barcode scanner, you can get the Scanlife App (not my favorite but works) on all the major platforms by texting "SCAN" to 43588.

OR for iphone and android, just go to redlaser.com from the browser. Redlaser is my fav barcode scanner on iphone

SignManiac

Damn, this thing actually works! Still not sure how my business would benefit from it though?

Attachments

• SW QR Code.jpg
    SW QR Code.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 71

hydo1

I'm glad to see a discussion on QR Codes pop-up. Last fall a local FastSigns had a seminar at the Chamber of Commerce to promote QR codes. And they have a giant QR code A-Frame in front of their shop so I think the FastSigns franchise is definitely going that direction.

iSign

Damn, this thing actually works! Still not sure how my business would benefit from it though?
in 3 seconds, I found my way to your website... after 10 years of knowing you & never going there...

that might not be worth much from me... but from the other people who see that code on your truck or cards... can't see how it wouldn't have some value eventually... like gene's clients discovered...

mikey-Oh

Your site is HUGE on my Motorola Droid, had to zoom way out. Also, Products & Services link gives me an internal error, other links are working with my phone.

SignManiac

It has a cryptic cool factor I must admit. Maybe it's time for me to get my first tattoo :)

My site isn't really optimized for mobile devices. Front page has flash and that wont work on an iPhone. ehhh, they find me anyway.