• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

QR Codes in the Sign Biz

iSign

Your site is HUGE on my Motorola Droid, had to zoom way out. Also, Products & Services link gives me an internal error, other links are working with my phone.

it fit my iPhone perfect... but I also got the error, which i guess he knew about...

FatCat

Funny, just had a customer asking me about this the other day. While I've been aware of it wasn't sure if it's just a new fad or something to take seriously. Guess I'll have to start reading up.

Doyle

Your site is HUGE on my Motorola Droid, had to zoom way out. Also, Products & Services link gives me an internal error, other links are working with my phone.

Thank you. Not sure what I am doing wrong. The whole site is just an image map, and when I first launched it, I had the image to scale to 100% of the window, but all of the hot spots on the image did not hold their positions. So then I just set the size to 1000px wide and it seemed to fit in my iphone window automatically and so far the buttons have held their places correctly, but some browsers open the site with the image map at full size like you experienced...

Pat Whatley

We've been sticking them on the back of our signs for a couple of months now and we're actually getting a noticeable response from them. I'm not exactly tech-savvy, I barely use the features on my smart phone, but I find myself scanning them all the time....it's a brilliantly simple way to share information. Yes, it's far easier than writing down

hydo1

We've been sticking them on the back of our signs for a couple of months now and we're actually getting a noticeable response from them. I'm not exactly tech-savvy, I barely use the features on my smart phone, but I find myself scanning them all the time....it's a brilliantly simple way to share information. Yes, it's far easier than writing down

When you put them on your signs, do you put just the code or a code w/ logo, etc?

p3

I started using the microsoft tag.

http://tag.microsoft.com/consumer/index.aspx

You can actually track how many times its scanned, and edit it. so if you want a deal or something to be scanned for so long, you can set active dates on it. Similar to a QR code although you may need the app for it on your phone. I have seen more and more companies use this in their print ads and some banners around town. I think its a pretty cool idea, just will be some time before it becomes as common as the QR code.

Pat Whatley

Okay, I admit we didn't put a whole lot of thought into it when we first did it but it's working for us. We used to use the label in my signature with the addition of the phone number.

Attachments

• qr code.jpg
    qr code.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 60

signswi

Had one on our shop van for a few years. There's still limited data out there that they actually drive traffic but marketing people sure do love them.

VinylLabs.com

so, this code gets a text message of "370z" all cued up to send to a (your?) phone number... what is that for?

it's not my QR code, it was a sample of a stylised one. that one is for a nissan dealership, for the launch of the nissan 370z.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Cool, but now how do I make one? I've found a few code generating sites out there but I'm not sure if they'll take my information and give me a bunch of spam later on.

Since I do stone engraving, I'd like to etch one in jet black granite and put it on display in a local retailer's showroom.

I would prefer a vector format because I will need to invert the image for my photoresist. Any suggestions on a reputable source?

The possibilities seem endless. Thanks for the idea.

Jim

Last edited:

Farmboy

There's one on the back of the hang tag on every shirt that goes out of the shop. We've been approached by a few real estate companies about adding them to their riders.

CheapVehicleWrap

Cool, but now how do I make one? I've found a few code generating sites out there but I'm not sure if they'll take my information and give me a bunch of spam later on.

Since I do stone engraving, I'd like to etch one in jet black granite and put it on display in a local retailer's showroom.

I would prefer a vector format because I will need to invert the image for my photoresist. Any suggestions on a reputable source?

Jim

Jet black? Then reverse is your answer! Spam? create a gmail account? Trust me, an email address that signed up to create QR codes is pretty much valueless. Lighten up, you're missing out on allot if you worry about spam this much.

Custom_Grafx

oh man i just had an idea...

3d lenticular with 2 qr codes...

eg; clothing store - left side mens, right side womens, viewing a wall from respective side of room...

RobbyMac

We've been doing ALOT of them.
Much of our work is race related work. ALot of 'marketing opportunites' with plenty of buzzwords and BS to go around.
As to whether they work or not, I dunno... but certainly it's worth mentioning to clients who might gravitate to such a thing...

Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace icons are all the rage as well.

Custom_Grafx

We've been doing ALOT of them.
Much of our work is race related work. ALot of 'marketing opportunites' with plenty of buzzwords and BS to go around.
As to whether they work or not, I dunno... but certainly it's worth mentioning to clients who might gravitate to such a thing...

Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace icons are all the rage as well.

That raises an interesting question.

Does facebook, twitter or myspace have any issues of people like us in the sign industry to put their logos on stuff like that? Does it violate copyright if you make the sign without their permission?

Is it so different from putting a facebook logo on say your website?

RobbyMac

I assume it is no different than using the logo and ID on a website, to link to your personal profile on the social networking site. I also assume the legalities would prove me wrong. :smile:
But if the customer has permission to use the logo's, and you reproduce them within the usage guidelines (usually associated with the customers account/profile/page) then it shouldn't be an issue?

Doyle

Jim

I posted this link above ----- http://keremerkan.net/qr-code-and-2d-code-generator/

Has an option to generate an .EPS vector code. Works great.

edit: oops, didn't see your second post, you found the same link....