• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quality Check

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, if your car mechanic messed up putting new brakes on your car, do you get a discount ?? If your dentist drilled out your tooth and messed it up a bit, do you get a discount ?? Think I'd opt for option #2. Do it right, buster. Discount ?? I don't need no stinkin' discount

msenjur

damn... this job IS NOT well done!!! those bubbles in red wont dissapear. They come from overheating the vinyl, but viny will pop-out in a few months anyway. bubles are the least they should worry about. and those small wrinkles also wont go away. it is a dammaged vinyl... Belive me, im talking from personal experience. We were all begginers. Only bubbles in letters will disapear, that is normal. And that panneling - unusuall location to seam vinyl...

Tell your customer to get writen guarrantie from shop, that this fails will go away in 6 months. Lets see what that shop will have to say about it.

CanuckSigns

damn... this job IS NOT well done!!! those bubbles in red wont dissapear. They come from overheating the vinyl, but viny will pop-out in a few months anyway. bubles are the least they should worry about. and those small wrinkles also wont go away. it is a dammaged vinyl... Belive me, im talking from personal experience. We were all begginers. Only bubbles in letters will disapear, that is normal. And that panneling - unusuall location to seam vinyl...

Tell your customer to get writen guarrantie from shop, that this fails will go away in 6 months. Lets see what that shop will have to say about it.

I agree the work is sub par, however it's a bad idea to tell the client that and get in between them, just refer them back to the original shop. The client could have gotten 3 quotes and picked the lowest,if thats the case then this quality of work can be expected. Wrapping cars takes a certain set of skills that most standard sign shops don't have, you need to be wrapping cars on a regular basis to get good at it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree the work is sub par, however it's a bad idea to tell the client that and get in between them, just refer them back to the original shop. The client could have gotten 3 quotes and picked the lowest,if thats the case then this quality of work can be expected. Wrapping cars takes a certain set of skills that most standard sign shops don't have, you need to be wrapping cars on a regular basis to get good at it.

This is a very good point. Not every shop, applicator does the same quality of work. If ya buy Kia or Hyundai, don't expect Cadillac quality. Ya get what ya pay for.

Good luck at the dentist............... :covereyes:

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
mm in that seam photo, is the vinyl overstretched into the corner? Looks like it's fading a bit but I can't tell in the photo.

It's not a nice job. Bubbles are whatever, but the wrinkles are pretty bad. But as mentioned earlier, we're also careful not to crap on other local shops. It's one of those "mm, if you're uncomfortable with it, you should go talk to them..." situations

Stacey K

I like making signs
I totally agree with this. You bring up a good point. Does the OP know which shop did the wrap? Do they do a lot of wraps and are they reputable? If they are then I would definitely tell the customer to go back, I'm sure they will fix it. If it's a shop that doesn't do many wraps then they probably didn't pay for the quality and experience.

I don't do wraps but I only refer my customers to one shop in my area because I know they do great work, but they are expensive. But - they do great work.

Just looked closer at these. So, this is a seam? yikes...that doesn't look too good and in a bad spot. The other circled part, is that a reflection or does the vinyl cut short? yikes, that doesn't look good either. When you blow the pic up you see more wrinkles.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

msenjur

yes, absolutelly he should not get between them.

this is just a chat between us...

anyway, even if he was the cheapes one, you cant say job like that is ok and normal.

usually im the cheapest one, but i do it almost perfect. i can save money on material, my hours, but not on quality. such mistakes are not allowed. maybe some smaller mistakes, that customer wont even notice...

CanuckSigns

yes, absolutelly he should not get between them.

this is just a chat between us...

anyway, even if he was the cheapes one, you cant say job like that is ok and normal.

usually im the cheapest one, but i do it almost perfect. i can save money on material, my hours, but not on quality. such mistakes are not allowed. maybe some smaller mistakes, that customer wont even notice...

The photos you posted are far from being the worst I've seen. No its not correct or perfect, it looks like an inexperienced installer and a job that was quoted too low where they didn't have enough profit in it to reprint the panels that needed to be, not saying its correct but it happens.

If this happened in my shop the client would get 2 options
1- I reprint and redo to sections with wrinkles, bubbles will be popped and will disappear.
2- I offer them a discount, some clients are perfectly happy with a few hundred bucks knocked off, they feel like they walked away the winner.

At the end of the day its a work truck, not a show car, if the wrap looks good from 8 feet away its mostly fine.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
What I'd like to know is why this guy felt he could ask a sign shop he's never been to if his wrap is good. Why isn't he going back to the place that did it and asking questions? Why does/would/should he trust you more than them?

Personally, I'd tell the guy to piss off, in the nicest way possible. I do not comment on work done by other shops.

CanuckSigns

What I'd like to know is why this guy felt he could ask a sign shop he's never been to if his wrap is good. Why isn't he going back to the place that did it and asking questions? Why does/would/should he trust you more than them?

Personally, I'd tell the guy to **** off, in the nicest way possible. I do not comment on work done by other shops.

So he can go back to them and say " John over at XYZ signs said you did a crappy job" he thinks this will carry more weight