• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Race Trailer Wrap. Give me your thoughts

JandPVinyl

Thanks for the feedback and constructive criticism. The customer has decided on this final work. The main focal point and focus of the car is the mad scientist (not the stripes) therefore that is what the design was created around. Again thanks for all the input!

Attachments

• Cannoy Racing.pdf
    446.7 KB · Views: 146
Thanks for the feedback and constructive criticism. The customer has decided on this final work. The main focal point and focus of the car is the mad scientist (not the stripes) therefore that is what the design was created around. Again thanks for all the input!

You can see the shadow of a lightpole on the car. I would take the car off if that's your only version and make everything else bigger. It will look much cleaner.

Billct2

It's like 3 pieces of clipart on an indistinguishable background, just really boring. The designs Rick suggested ( especially the top left one) had a dynamic look that reflects the sport. If you showed anything like those to the client and this is what they insist on, fine, their money is green and it will be good practice for installing a wrap

JandPVinyl

I actually didn't even want to go into ricks designs. I did show those designs to my customer and he thought they were boring. His question to me was "how does that attract attention to my trailer?" my client is looking for something that makes the Mad Scientist part stick out. by just choosing and creating a generic color scheme does not help my customer brand his racecar. Again thanks for the input and the constructive criticism.

Johnny Best

Nice, I like it.

Your design looks like a Mad Scientist designed it. The other layouts shown you look like all the other race car artwork that have been around for years.
Have always been a big John Force fan.

JandPVinyl

Exactly! If it were a professional sponsor that is looking for a billboard his layouts were perfect! My customer is looking for an attention grabber!

DigitalWoodGFX

Seems like I missed most of the action during lunch, but some general advice:

Before you start your design, settle on a palette of 2 or 3 colors that complement each other and stick to them. Your entire design will look more cohesive. Same goes for font choices, you'll want to stick to 1 or 2 different fonts at most. It can also be helpful to divide your canvas using a grid to help you place elements if you're not doing that already.

The guys were right about the pattern in the background, you'd want it to be a bit more subtle, lowering the opacity and sticking to your color palette. This pattern shouldn't be a focal point, but should rather fade into the background. This also prevents you from having to do things like strokes, drop shadows, or outer glows on your text (which 90% of the time will look amateurish). I would also try to recolor the twitter logo to match everything else, either white or green in this case.

Don't get discouraged, I can see the concept behind your design, but the execution needs work.

edit: As far as finding good design to draw inspiration from, here are a few of my personal favorites:
Behance.net has some amazing stuff from many artists across different disciplines.
The Legend Himself - Saul Bass
Aaron Draplin
Justin Maller
Pete Harrison

neato

See Ricks comment above on developing taste. I think that's where you're at right now.

And remember, YOU are the professional. A big part of this business is learning to play that part and guide your customers in the right direction. Once you develop your taste and eye for good design, you will be better prepared to tell your customers when they're wrong. Remember, it may be your customers trailer, but your name and reputation is attached to it.

I think 2 years from now your going to look at this one and have regrets. It wasn't a bad start, but like was pointed out, there is no flow to this design. It's 3 separate elements slapped onto a background. Keep working at it, you're off to a better start than most.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
let my people goooooooo....

Everytime a thread ends up like this, I go back and look at other "designers" work I've commented on and see how they have progressed...

I think I'll have a donut...

Attachments

• 12342349_921573001256244_4004642082766461321_n.jpg
    12342349_921573001256244_4004642082766461321_n.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 110

JandPVinyl

Well at least you agree that your design isn't professional

LOL I would probably be the first to tell you my design Isint professional, that is my 1st and I do meant 1st time ever messing with Photoshop and designing a print graphic. Like I said I am new and actually so new my printer hasn't even been delivered yet. So again thanks for the constructive criticism I have actually learned a lot just messing with this one design. Again thanks for the input and criticism it had challenged me and I enjoy that! Thanks

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
LOL I would probably be the first to tell you my design Isint professional, that is my 1st and I do meant 1st time ever messing with Photoshop and designing a print graphic. Like I said I am new and actually so new my printer hasn't even been delivered yet. So again thanks for the constructive criticism I have actually learned a lot just messing with this one design. Again thanks for the input and criticism it had challenged me and I enjoy that! Thanks

But you still didn't listen to the seasoned vets here. You made some minor changes to your original monstrosity and balked at anyone that said the final design still isn't up to snuff. And it's not. Frankly, the designs that Rick put out there are more eye-catching than any of the options you've shown. This isn't about having used Photoshop before or not. It's about having a basic design education and knowing what works, what doesn't, how to tell the difference between the two and SHOW your client the best possible option for them. Not what they've told you they want.

Billct2

Ouch.....
No ouch, someone made an assumption that this was a logo we designed. Not that I have a problem with the symbol, it's nothing special,
but it's not bad. It's a sign we made, so I can take the blame for the design but at least it's not an eye catcher.
And by the way I'm glad someone actually looked at our website, it was never finished and after I looked at it I realized I should get around to giving
the web designer some of the content he's been requesting.

AKwrapguy

What about making the trailer design look more like the vehicle? Using the elements/colors from the vehicle rather than the vehicle itself might help with the poor car image issue.

SignManiac

Forty one years full time designer of signs, and the greatest pleasure I get these days is firing clients who think they know better than me...