• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RapidTac and Wet Mounting?

Rooster

OK, I'm officially on the rapidtac bandwagon.

Grabbed some Rapidtac II and retried the mount.

Holy moly the stuff works good!

sjm

Aaaaargh!

I've been struggling with some small backlit panels that require a wet reverse mount to 3/8" Lexan as the substrate's been cut to size already.

I've been trying the water and drop of soap method, but it's not going very well for some reason. No matter how much I squeegee the water gets trapped. I've tried just a little water, a lot of water, etc it just seems to get sealed in. Even running it through the laminator afterward will not squeeze the liquid out.

The backlit panels have had the adhesive applied to the front side and because it's a polycarb base to to it it just doesn't flex easily and the adhesive has quite the bite and obviously no air channels.

Does rapidtac make this process easier? Does it have more viscosity to allow it to squeeze through smaller gaps?

Is there another method that might work better? I'm at my wits end with this.

Yah there is a better method, print on an adhesive vinyl with clear adhesive, laminate with a lexan film and mount to 3/8" Clear Plexi.

Or drop me a pm, we can print directly to 3/8" Lexan and you can still enjoy some margin.

chasegraphics

I have been doing double back lit faces for years. Rapid Tac is the best to handle this. Make sure that the Lexan has out-gassed overnight, clean with Rapid Tac, hinge where you like, spray Lexan and the print. I personally like to spread the solution with my hand on the lexan only before I lay the print. I then lay the print/vinyl and before I squeegee anything I spray the masking. It is messy but I always get great results and very little bubbles. This works on a easel or table, I have successfully applied 5'x20' sign faces with this process.

G-Artist

Anyone who makes their own solution really should start with distilled water. It's dirt-cheap and can be found in any supermarket.

Tap water has lots of minerals in it and that composition of minerals changes from area to area. Plus the local supplier puts all kinds of chemicals in it to kill the bacteria and other germs. Most are some sort of chlorine. None of that is good to have incorporated in your adhesion fluid.

Non-distilled water will also leave streaks because of the minerals and added chemicals.

mfatty500

Help I too need advice on applying with Rapid Tac on a mirror, I spray R.T. on mirror and then it does not stick , am using to much or getting in a hurry? What about using a hair dryer/heat gun to help dry it up. Oh I'm using clear R-Tape.

thanks in advance, Mike (yes I'm new)

Jillbeans

Mike-
Clear app tape= dry application, use RT or anything else with it and it's a pain.
Mirror/Glass= always try dry app first especially with small letters.
Rapid Tac 2= for use with wet app on glass or in cold temps.
Mirror/Glass= be REAL careful, I would not advise using a heat gun you could shatter them.

I have used Rapid Tac on translucent stuff, I flood the hell out of it.
I use RT when layering.
I am faster with wet app on big stuff than dry because it's how I got used to vynulling.
But I am getting better at dry app.
I used to make my own home brew, but my water is too hard and to iron-y.
Tried that other stuff and hated it.
RT is worth the $.
Love...Jill
PS
And my Rapid Remover bottle is also heavily marked so I don't grab it by accident.

Joe Diaz

Are you applying the graphics on a horizontal surface? I have found that no mater what application fluid we use, (we used to use rapid tac but after being publicly "confronted" by the owner of the product, on several different occasions, we have started making our own application fluid in house) after we have thoroughly squeegeed the the graphic down, we stand the sign up vertically while it dries. That does the trick for us. Gravity will slowly work any extra application fluid out the bottom.

We figured this out after realizing that vinyl applied wet on a vertical surface never had the same issues that we were having when we applied vinyl wet onto a sign that we was resting horizontally on saw horses. Once we stood those signs up to dry, we noticed a big difference, Even when we were still using rapidtac.

omgsideburns

rapid tac is great.

rapid tac 2 is better for clear stuff it seems, but doesn't smell as nice.

and i like to do what joe said about standing up signs after applying.. maybe it's a superstition.

mfatty500

Hey, thanks for all the tips guy's & (girl), I thought that maybe the tape was the culprit, have noticed when i did use the other tape on metal signs it worked well. Now I know, thanks again!