• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rear window perf on pick up truck- laminated or unlaminated, what do you do?

phototec

I see a lot of them really cheap on eBay and Amazon and they don't say laminated.

I attended a Justin Pate vehicle wrap class back in 2010, and Justin recommended laminating window perf so rain droplets don't collect in all the small holes making it hard to see through the window perf material.

Just wondering if you guys are laminating window perf or not?

Thanks for any feedback

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We laminate our window perf w/ Oraguard 290GF.

The only time I've done vehicles without lam was for a temporary event where the rental vans only had graphics for about a month, and even then they complained that the holes filled with water/dirt. (I was trying to save them money)

After that, I won't print perf without lam. Easier to install without it, but looks better in the long run with it, in my opinion.

Reveal1

Does that solve the "rain droplets don't collect in all the small holes making it hard to see through the window perf material."?
I guess it's how much the customer views that as a problem. Back of pickup or van rear visibility during rain is still predominately via mirrors for many drivers. The other 95% of the time (at least here in MO) it's not raining. Personally, I would rather have the clearer visibility from no laminate that 95% of the time. Haven't seen an 'optically clear' film yet that is truly transparent without distortion. But again, personal choice.

MikePro

I sheet-laminate square/flat window perf for storefronts
BUT
I spray-laminate perf graphics for car windows....looks wayyyy better & easier to work with, imho.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

I see a lot of them really cheap on eBay and Amazon and they don't say laminated.

I attended a Justin Pate vehicle wrap class back in 2010, and Justin recommended laminating window perf so rain droplets don't collect in all the small holes making it hard to see through the window perf material.

Thanks for any feedback
We don't laminate it. We did ONCE for side windows because we wanted to protect the graphic. We have it on our back garage window and we can't see through it when it rains. But laminated you can't see through it at all until it does the heat thing to it.

TheQuickerSticker

QuickerStickers

Thanks for any feedback

We use frog juice :) aerosol spray laminate. Works awesome and is about $20/can

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Optically clear laminate for sure. No water in the holes. But yeah, we get a few calls about doing truck perfs and the clients are clearly expecting the amazon prime price, not the laminated price.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The problem with many optically clear lams is they are too soft. While optically clear the softness allows the bridged holes to expand and contract with happens with temperature fluctuations and also from trapping too much air in the holes (you see this a LOT on perf installs) which causes distortion. Some are more rigid and/or thicker than others though which can help maintain the clarity. We do always laminate though as it extends the life, makes removal easier later, and you can still see out some when it is raining.