• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recent HDU projects

synergy_jim

Stop on by Kevin. Its done except for the base. Maniac… that looks cool!

Everyone else, thanks…. here is the final rusted product ready to be mounted on the base.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 128
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 131
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 127

synergy_jim

:rock-n-roll: Looks great! Question is... does it actually spin?

It does spin. We are locking it in place though…. The paint on the pvc pipes doesn't hold up to the friction that well. It does spin rough, since they are square cut gears on a chain. If i had any desire to spin it smoothly, I would have went with more of a round cut tooth on the gears.

synergy_jim

routing was roughly 30 hours total. Finishing and assembly, I'd say the better part of 5 days if I add up all the time. We have worked on it sparingly in our down time, so its rough to get a accurate count.

SignManiac

That's the problem I have with all the routed textures. It's easy to run a router for thirty hours on a project. I have some smaller trees that take eight hours each. I have to wonder what portion of my electric bill is being eaten up on jobs like that.

I can't begin to imagine what Dans electric bill is. His machine must run 18 hours a day with the stuff he produces. If you've got 30 hours of machine time in it at $100 an hour, there's $3k alone, then five days of man hours, that adds up fast. I'd say you have a nice $10k sculpture there :)

synergy_jim

Our electric bill here runs 400 to 500 per month. On a heavy machining month, it will hit 600 max. I don't really figure the electric as a separate cost. Its absorbed in our overhead figure.

By my estimates, I would sell that gear set for around 9-10 thousand with the base. I usually work on projects with customers with their budget in mind. I could have made this set for $5K, but it would be a lot less detail and they would still be happy.

Lucky for me, this set stays here as a sample… We do stuff like this so we can blow peoples minds and make their little things they want look like childs play...

letterman7

Very nice... very nice. Trying to get a sense of scale from the one photo with the gentleman in the back leaning on the bench. How tall is this, about 5' or so?

synergy_jim

Man that thing is awesome!!! Thanks for the step by step pics. :thumb:

If this doesn't make people want to check out one of Dan's workshops....I don't know what would!

Thanks Pat…. I keep telling everyone its worth every penny…. ( I would have paid the $$$ just for the paint and finishing training )

a little disclaimer though… I've been running CNC machines and doing 3D design for 15 years. You learn a ton at Dan's, but it helps to have a good foundation before you go.

BK Vinyl

Just went down a rabbit hole of looking at all the stuff on your website after reading the article. Very nice work you're doing over there.

synergy_jim

not HDU, but some of our faux finishing techniques on everyday end tables….

Attachments

• IMG_3852.jpg
    IMG_3852.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3854.jpg
    IMG_3854.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3855.jpg
    IMG_3855.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 128

synergy_jim

Our latest sign project

monument sign currently under construction. Scuplted concrete, steel and HDU.

Attachments

• IMG_3857.jpg
    IMG_3857.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3851.jpg
    IMG_3851.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 125