• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

reformating my hard drive question

Techman

boot into DOS.. Fdisk to remove partition. do not reformat.... Load XP disk,, and away you go,, Simple.. Way to simple..

iSign

good call Ian.
Last night before I dealt with the reformatting of my old design computer, I archived about 100 gigs of data from the second half of 2006. I copied it all on to one of my SimpleTech drives & then on to my other SimpleTech. Along with the early 2006 archives, my 2005 files & all the data from about 6 dozen CD's and DVD's from the previous 8 years... I also have a ghost file for each of my current workstations except the new one, & this reformatted one.

After confirming the successful duplicate archiving, I deleted the 3rd instance of 95% of the 2006 data off it's original location on a mapped drive residing on my server (leaving the 5% that represents work in progress or reorder files)

Anyway, I am now almost ready to return my second SimpleTech drive to my house for off-site storage... because I wasn't going to ghost my new computer until it had more to lose... but now that you mention it, I've already done quite a bit of work getting it up and running exactly how I want it... so I'll Ghost that drive, & the older design workstation too... once it's all operational too.

Then my level of security will be in good shape.

mladams7259

Ken,
I have not dealt with any recovery firms myself. Basically I work as an overflow helper, if you will, for the state of Alabama. When the State has too many computers to process themselves they will fedex me 2 or 3 to work on. I love those jobs. I do it as an individual, not as a PD employee, I get to charge the state my rate of $160 an hour. Usually takes 8 to 10 hours on one PC. Im not certified to deal with MACs, they handle those. I only get about 10 or 12 a year, but it keeps my skills up. The correct software is the key, and it isnt cheap. Kinda like Flexi, specialized and expensive. As far as the data you want recovered I would recommend doing a search for those guys that can recover data from a burned up drive, they are awesome. They have tons of cool equipment. You WILL pay a hefty fee for the files, but if its worth it then go for it. Good Luck!