• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remotely running a print shop

Fatboy

Hi there guys. Hope you are all well.

Please can you give me some input if you have a chance.

As some of you may know , I run a wide format printing outlet in Pietermaritzburg South Africa. Like all businesses it is not always easy going but we are expanding all the time. I am purchasing a machine that I have to operate away from my normal business premises. This means that I wont be there all the time cause I will now have to split my time between the two premises.

Have you guys got some tips as to how to manage my staff remotely. Like for instance I saw some time tracking software that will tell you what your staff does on their computers during work time. I really need to focus on my designer here. He seems to be slower and slower and I suspect that he might be on Facebook or whatever half the time.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Fatboy

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

Attachments

• dogcollar.jpg
    dogcollar.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 90

player

At the very least you could have a few web cams set up and use Skype to call the webcams up and see and hear what is going on. I do that with my printer in another room.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think your real solution would be to skip the remote monitoring stuff and see if you could hire a trusted manager.
No matter how carefully you are watching them or their screens they would be more productive with a sup who could keep them focused and take care of issues that effect their work.
Look what happened with Snowden. I'll bet he was highly - remotely watched but it did little good.

wayne k
guam usa

player

I think your real solution would be to skip the remote monitoring stuff and see if you could hire a trusted manager.
No matter how carefully you are watching them or their screens they would be more productive with sup who could keep them focused and take care of issues that effect their work.
Look what happened with Snowden. I'll bet he was highly - remotely watched but it did little good.

wayne k
guam usa

I think it worked out perfectly. Snowden is a hero.

Locals Find!

You could install nanny software on the computer. Block out any unauthorized websites. I did this at my real estate office to block out AOL, and a multitude of other sites they were compromising my network security.

I am sure the same methods could apply to sites you would prefer you employees not be using while working i.e. facebook, twitter, reddit, etc...
That and a good manager like was already mentioned.

You may find it more cost effective and efficient though to simply sit down with your designer and clearly lay out your reasonable expectations and the consequences of what will happen if they are not met.

Fatboy

No matter how carefully you are watching them or their screens they would be more productive with a sup who could keep them focused and take care of issues that effect their work.

wayne k
guam usa

Yip...I think you may have a point

rjssigns

I like the web cam idea and limiting web access.

Years back a local bar owner installed surveillance cameras in his bar. Profits shot up dramatically. Imagine that...

Chriswagner92

or you could log into their computer after they leave and check their history.. Kind of scummy imo but its free, its your business, and everything on the business computers are, theoretically yours.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you have to resort to spying on your own employees, then you are not yet set up to go elsewhere. If you can't leave the nest because of some bad chicks, then you must either teach them better or get rid of them and get some new trustworthy employees.

Fatboy

If you have to resort to spying on your own employees, then you are not yet set up to go elsewhere. If you can't leave the nest because of some bad chicks, then you must either teach them better or get rid of them and get some new trustworthy employees.
See where you coming from and it does put another angle to it. How ever I am not trying to spy on them.They will be aware off all systems that are in place. There is an old saying that says" inspect what you expec"t and I am just wondering what the best way to do this will be?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

wayne k
guam usa

This. If you want a turn key shop you need to be able to have someone that you trust to be you. If not, your shop has to be full of people you then trust to do their own work and not cost you money ... being as how 90% of people who are employees will only do the minimum in if the boss is away ... get a manager.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank you guys. Appreciate all the input.Suppose I also need to trust a bit more

No, you don't.

If you are contemplating cameras and snitches, you already know you can't trust these people, so trusting someone or whomever is not the solution. You either need to send someone else to this satellite location or give it up and train your people better. At this point, your present location evidently can't go without you or you'll lose money is what you've been indicating. You can't instill upon them how necessary it is for you to make money...... so you can pay them and they keep their jobs, so your best bet would be to either hire someone else to go do the other job.... or hire a watchdog like someone said.