• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing a very old and cracked sign... hmmm

texas33

What is the most efficient way to remove a sign that's 10+ years old, cracked everywhere and the residue behind it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230111_151221.jpg
    Screenshot_20230111_151221.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 425

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That looks like a magnetic sign which no one ever removed and it's become part of the door. Yeah, I wouldn't repaint it...... replace the whole frickin' door.

Just make the replacement sign larger to hide all the imperfections.

texas33

That looks like a magnetic sign which no one ever removed and it's become part of the door. Yeah, I wouldn't repaint it...... replace the whole frickin' door.

Just make the replacement sign larger to hide all the imperfections.
No sir, it wasn't a Magnetic Sign. I actually worked at this Oil Company when that sign was put up, 10+ years ago.

Good idea, most logical and easiest route I'm sure... thanks!

Stacey K

I like making signs
OK, sounds like they own the building so you have some options now! Replace the door, remove and repaint or cover up with new sign. I guess it's a cost thing now. If it's a visable door and often accessed by the public then I would push for a new door or new paint job. If it's in the back alley and only crack heads see it then just cover it up LOL

texas33

OK, sounds like they own the building so you have some options now! Replace the door, remove and repaint or cover up with new sign. I guess it's a cost thing now. If it's a visable door and often accessed by the public then I would push for a new door or new paint job. If it's in the back alley and only crack heads see it then just cover it up LOL
Yup, exactly what we're going to do. It's the Shipping Dock entrance in the back so only employees will see it.

texas33

Personally I'd do an ACM panel and screw it to the door. The paint is probably going to give you fits as far as anything new staying down. That cream color even appears to be failing and looks like the door was originally blue?
Great idea but unfortunately, the company won't go for that. My wife tells me their new CFO is extremely tight on all company expenses so of they can get away for less, that's the play... SMH

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Great idea but unfortunately, the company won't go for that. My wife tells me their new CFO is extremely tight on all company expenses so of they can get away for less, that's the play... SMH
Tell them you have an hourly rate for cleaning the door off, which will take a lot of time and end up costing more than an ACM sign.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It would cost more removing that decal than slapping ACM up there. Tell them you can remove it and replace for $400... no guarantee on how it's going to look...... or you can slap some ACM up there for $200.

You need to take control of the customer. Just because it's your wife's whatever doesn't mean you can't control how you do your work. You keep coming up with excuses on why all these suggestions won't work. Why even post if you know they will say no to everything? You asked, got 10 answers, some that are much easier than the way you want to go about it, and you poo poo everything. Burton shits fonts. Grow a pair of balls or ovaries and take charge.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you gonna be responsible for the packing taped on sign, too ??

I'm afraid tex is right. You're a sign person, not a remodeler. Anything someone wants out of your realm of doing things is either on them to repair or go to someone else. If they brought a truck to you in p!ss poor shape..... are you gonna sand it down, paint it and than clear it so you can letter it ??