• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing screen printed ink from backlit face

buggyjr12

I got a call today from a customer who wants to re-face an existing backlit sign face with a new decal. His idea was to just cover the old one with a new one but since it's backlit we all know how that would turn out.

The first thing I thought of was to remove the image from the sign face (extruded plastic) but it looks like it was screen printed on. If you look closely at where the orange meets the blue you can see that the blue overlaps the orange. That's what makes me think that it was screen printed.

The customer (body shop owner) told me that he's tried to sand these things in the past (which I know isn't a good idea anyway) and had no luck. He said it's almost like the image is "on the inside".

So my question is, does anyone have experience with removing "screen printed" images from lexan / polycarbonate / plastic sign faces and / or what is my best option?

Thanks in advance!

See attached...

Attachments

• 20200723_143418.jpg
    20200723_143418.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 441
We used to strip faces like that a long, long time ago. Laquer thinner and sawdust is what we used if I remember correctly. The sign isn't screen printed, it is painted. There are most likely a lot of cuts into the back of the face from the masking process, you will never get all of the paint out of those cuts.
You'd be a lot better off replacing the faces if you can.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you've never done this before, you will cook the face, taking the old paint off and ruin it. Go to the customer and tell them from a professional standpoint, it is better to just replace the faces. Otherwise, he should look for another sucker to do it the wrong way.

Stripping those things was usually the job of the shop boy (person). It was smelly, horrible and hard on your fingers. So, while it can be done, you hafta be good at doing it or else.......................

d fleming

Sprayed not printed, what everyone else says...new faces. I've used grip flex in the past to remove but only did it once. The time it takes to do it right and then still end up with very stressed face from all the chemical and elbow grease makes new faces cheap.

unclebun

We used to use denatured alcohol to strip the paint off those (it is on the inside). Fill the pan with a double layer of paper towels, like you're making lasagna. Soak with the denatured alcohol and keep it wet. It takes a long time to soften the paint. When the paint softens, use a putty knife to scrape it up. It's about like removing a heavy coat of adhesive, but worse. Keep using lots of the alcohol to successively dilute until there's no paint left. Then you have to respray it white with the right kind of translucent paint, if you're going to put vinyl on the outside. Or you can paint it.

Or you can buy a new white pan face and letter it.

Or you can have a new pan face made and painted according to your design and shipped to you.

Or you can have Admiral Products digitally print and thermoform new faces for you.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Nasty job removing paint from Backlit faces. Done alot of them in the past and it isn't cheap. Quote New Faces

buggyjr12

Thank you for the responses. I'm going to quote him using new panels. Any recommendations on who to contact? A google search only turned up "Wholesale Sign Superstore".

Andy D

Plus one for never try to repurpose a sign face because your customer is cheap.
Something will happen to the face, cracking, scratching, dulled finish, ect. and you will be on the hook for it.
Even flat faces with vinyl get new plastic or they can go somewhere else.

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
Plus one for never try to repurpose a sign face because your customer is cheap.
Something will happen to the face, cracking, scratching, dulled finish, ect. and you will be on the hook for it.
Even flat faces with vinyl get new plastic or they can go somewhere else.

Or in the rare occurrence they feel confident enough to strip and lay their own vinyl- I will cut it for them.. as I shake my head.
Did I tell them about ghosting? Yes. Even if you flip it over? Yes. Do they believe me? No. Can you tell when it's illuminated? Sure can. Do they come back for a new face? -_- Pretty much every time

Andy D

Or in the rare occurrence they feel confident enough to strip and lay their own vinyl- I will cut it for them.. as I shake my head.
Did I tell them about ghosting? Yes. Even if you flip it over? Yes. Do they believe me? No. Can you tell when it's illuminated? Sure can. Do they come back for a new face? -_- Pretty much every time
Good policy! Cheap customers are the 1st ones to pick something apart when you try to help them out... Hand the vinyl to them with the full acknowledgement of no warranty applies.

d fleming

Nail Salon much?lol

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
Good policy! Cheap customers are the 1st ones to pick something apart when you try to help them out... Hand the vinyl to them with the full acknowledgement of no warranty applies.
80/20 Rule all day long over here!

The Sign Bandit

I got a call today from a customer who wants to re-face an existing backlit sign face with a new decal. His idea was to just cover the old one with a new one but since it's backlit we all know how that would turn out.

The first thing I thought of was to remove the image from the sign face (extruded plastic) but it looks like it was screen printed on. If you look closely at where the orange meets the blue you can see that the blue overlaps the orange. That's what makes me think that it was screen printed.

The customer (body shop owner) told me that he's tried to sand these things in the past (which I know isn't a good idea anyway) and had no luck. He said it's almost like the image is "on the inside".

So my question is, does anyone have experience with removing "screen printed" images from lexan / polycarbonate / plastic sign faces and / or what is my best option?

Thanks in advance!

See attached...
Most likely spray painted on the backside, then covered with white lacryl or gripflex, if it's a polycarbonate face try alcohol [in a small safe area] if it's acrylic you can probably use laquer thinner [test first] your testing to make sure you arn't melting the face, just breaking down the paint and wiping off, do not let either liquid sit on the face for any length of time. Test in an area the retainer will hide.