• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Request advice from sign and display professionals

Techman

Just go get yourself a signa rama and forget about asking people to hand hold you through the opening of your enterprise.

player

The questions you ask don't have cut and dried definitive answers. There is no best printer. There are advantages and disadvantages to them all. There is latex which dries quickly, but uses high heat and can be more difficult at times perhaps. Ecosol style like Roland, requires 24 hours to dry. You need a RIP program for these type of printers. Roland includes their own RIP free. Other printers you have to pay for the rip which can be $thousands$. True solvent is extremely toxic.

You need to get a handle on all these and other pros and cons. Figure out what your end products require. (Wall papers, decals, stickers, labels, canvases and posters). Four colour vs 8 colour etc...

I would recommend a Roland to start. It will print and cut, and comes with a rip. Others would recommend the HP latex. Summa, Graphtec, Mutoh, Roland are all good cutters. Some have fancier readers for accurate cutting.

Just keep searching and reading. You need to really learn about this stuff before you jump in and lose a big chunk of money and time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What you mean by three way package deal???
Printer - cutter - laminator.

They all take up real estate in your bedroom or basement. After they're in, you need worktables, storage areas and paths to walk.

1,000 sf is gonna be mighty tight.

printndisplay

Let's put this into perspective.

You wanna buy a car. Do you go ask a buncha strangers which car is best ??
They'll ask you, do you need an SUV or a van or just a car. Do you need room for kids ?? Do you need 4 wheel drive ?? Do you want gas or diesel ?? Do you do a lotta cross country driving or around the city ?? Will your wife be using this or just you ?? Will it be garage kept ?? What average mileage will you put on a month ?? What can you afford ?? Can you afford the insurance on that kinda car ?? Do you have a license ??

Like mentioned..... if you want help, use the search button in the upper right hand corner for now. Once you have some real questions, then start firing away.

I need to make wall decors, canvas prints, stickers and decals in start, quality of print does matter to me especially for canvas and wall papers, pick which one 4 color, 6 color, 8 color or 12 color for good quality print results.

I have offer for machines as below, will you advise which one to pick, is lamination a must for above products?

Mutoh VJ1324+ Mutoh Value cut - 6 color output with a single four color head
Roland VS-540i - 8 color
Mimaki Print & Cut CJV30-130 - 4/6 color
Mimaki JV33+ cutter - 4/6 color
HP 310 latex + Mimaki Cutter 6+1 color
HP Z3200 44"- 12 color + Mimaki Cutter
HP Z5200 44" - 8 color+ Mimaki Cutter
HP Z5400 44" - 6 color + Mimaki Cutter
HP Z2100 44" - 8 color + Mimaki Cutter
Epson 9890 44" - 9 color + Mimaki Cutter

Or something else??????

Hope to hear from you soon with your suggestion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're good. I didn't catch on right way, but you are good. Yes, you are good. Very good. You're good, alright.

Have fun picking your equipment and creating your business. With your questions and knowledge so far, you will become one of Australia's largest decal companies to date. See ya later.

printndisplay

You're good. I didn't catch on right way, but you are good. Yes, you are good. Very good. You're good, alright.

Have fun picking your equipment and creating your business. With your questions and knowledge so far, you will become one of Australia's largest decal companies to date. See ya later.

Sorry is this a appreciation or ?????

GypsyGraphics

interest and enthusiasm is a start, space is a +, cash ++
if you use that cash and fill that space with a printer, even the finest printer in all the land... and most likely you'll be left with nothing but frustration.

let's assume that you have a good working knowledge of the industry standard software, some design abilities and a clear understanding of how to properly set up files for output (be it vector for cut files or resolution & color for print)..... even then, buying a printer without knowing if you'll have enough business to support such a purchase, is STILL a mistake. the only logical direction to take is outsourcing. let the businesses who run their printers all day long handle your print work until, not only you have a clearer understand of what you need but more importantly... that it becomes a more profitable run your own print jobs than to outsource.

at times i've had the interest, enthusiasm and the cash to purchase a printer.... but no matter how much i wanted one, the type of work i was doing and the direction my business was going, simply didn't justify the purchase. currently digital printing plays such a small part in the kind of work i do.... a printer would be taking up space and collection dust now.

get some experience under your belt, outsource and see where the demand for your services leads you.

player

I have a few questions...

-Do you have any paying work for the printer now?
-Are you financing or buying the equipment outright?
-Is your 1,000 sq.ft. shop a basement or can you bring vehicles in?

Thanks

visual800

for once why dont you start up folks make some intelligent decisions. Instead of you dropping all of this money on this equipment why dont you just get your prints on the web and try your hand there? equipment aint worth a damn after you buy it, resell is shot worse than a car. get your stuff online, mark it up and build yourself you can always buy your own stuff later

as far as what type of printers I have no idea, because I dont own one, at the prices I pay for online printing I can afford to buy one

printndisplay

for once why dont you start up folks make some intelligent decisions. Instead of you dropping all of this money on this equipment why dont you just get your prints on the web and try your hand there? equipment aint worth a damn after you buy it, resell is shot worse than a car. get your stuff online, mark it up and build yourself you can always buy your own stuff later

as far as what type of printers I have no idea, because I dont own one, at the prices I pay for online printing I can afford to buy one

After thinking a lot i decided to make own brand

My advice is to start small unless you have committed contracts.
Contact you local sign suppler and ask there sales person to stop by and talk to you. Do your homework on the subject before, so you do not look like an idiot.
Subscribe or buy some sign making and printing magazines and read signs101.com. Use search function before you will ask any questions.
Oh yeah. If you like me and don't have design experiences find some freelance designer for hire.
I can not advise you on particular brand of equipment but here is what I use.
60" latex HP printer
65" graphtec vinyl cutter for contour cutting prints
30" graphtec vinyl cutter for cutting vinyl.
60" Ledco laminator for a laminating
50" Ledco laminator for mounting graphics.
60" custom build panel saw for cutting flat sheet goods.
100w Epilog laser for cutting small stuff
50"x 100" custom build cnc router for cutting big stuff.
Good luck.

Brink

After thinking a lot i decided to make own brand

I think that is an excellent idea. Rather than starting a printed items business, you should start a printer manufacturing business. 1000 sqft should be plenty of room for that.