• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Retirement?

Latigo

Anyone else here retired? I retired three or four years ago, but I still wake up at 3am every morning, shower and head for town. I'm still at the studio helping Lat with artwork and layouts, negotiating bids and writing my Chronicles. He's there by 5am and the girls come in around 8 or so. When Lyn comes to town with me we get there a lot later, like around 5:30. Seems like when you reach a certain age you get a built in alarm clock and can't seem to break the cycle.

So what would I do otherwise? Spend all day in the armoury? Watch Bo and Hope all day? (Don NOT ask how I know them!) Walk the acreage? I can't do it, so I do what I've done for 35 years. Go to town and help the kids. I don't get paid anymore, but it makes me feel like I'm still needed.

I've been learning to have more patience with my long-awaited Grandchildren. Lat's knowledge of programs, software and hardware is so far beyond me that I don't even consider trying to learn any of it at all. Maybe I'm tired, worn out a bit, but I can't bring myself to simply stop working. It makes me feel good to see the kids win a great bid and kick into high gear. Anyone else retired and still active in the industry?

SignManiac

I feel somewhat like you do now. Not sure where the next few years will be taking me, but whatever it ends up, I won't be sitting around on my ass watching soap operas.

Just be glad your family doesn't mind having you around:)

skyhigh

The sign business is something I really enjoy. Its like being on vacation every day.....so who wants to retire?

SignManiac

The sign business is something I really enjoy. Its like being on vacation every day.....so who wants to retire?

I'll check back with you in another thirty years. Passion rarely last forever. Besides, there is so much more to life than making signs. It's a fun gig while it last, but life can be so much better if you take chances and drive fast!

Latigo

True, SM.... ane there comes a time to step aside so that your kids can make a future for themselves.

skyhigh

I'll check back with you in another thirty years. Passion rarely last forever. Besides, there is so much more to life than making signs. It's a fun gig while it last, but life can be so much better if you take chances and drive fast!

Don't rain on my parade Bob.....:Big Laugh

Care to share where you're driving fast to? Now you have me curious.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I've heard those stories about guys who retire from a company...and then drop dead six weeks later. My motto: don't quit...keep at it till they slam the lid shut.

SignManiac

Oh I would never just quit :) I plan to golf, skydive, and surf my way around the country and world! Not working doesn't mean fun is off the table!!!

GypsyGraphics

i just got here on a slow boat... i'm not ready to hop in a car and drive fast somewhere else. but maybe that's because i haven't had a chance to peek over the hill yet... what's over there bob?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'll retire when you pull the mouse, pencil or brush from my cold, dead hands.....

Last edited:

Stevo

Hey my buddy Pierre is here! Good to hear from you, and glad you are doing well.
VERY glad you are retired. Stay retired! :rolleyes:

Stevo

Si Allen

Hey you old Coot ... count me in too!

I am officially retired ... but still do some work ... when my old customers need me because the "noobs" don't know how to do it.

The rest of the time I am at my reloading bench or out shooting ... at least 3 days every week!

:thumb:

OldPaint

my clock never worked, and after 65............i really dont care))))))))))))))))
i took social security at 62, and turned 65 last may. in another post i have NEW DIRECTION OF WORK, i got a deal on 3 pottery wheels and 2 kilns!!!!!! so iam gona start a pottery AT 65!!!!!!!! retired? dont understand the concept. you gota keep doin.............or ya will die.

Latigo

Old Paint! Good to see your name again.......... and Si an a lot of others I'm just recognizing.
OP, it's just a word for me. My hours are the same, but the imagined freedom is there. :Big Laugh

P

Patrick46

SOME DAY...I may get to retire...

but I'll NEVER stop working. I've got too many projects swimming around inside my mellon, and if God decided to give us all a double long life span...I'd still never find the time to complete everything I wanna design/build/create/manufacture/conjure/fabricate/paint/craft/carve.......well, you get the idea. :thumb:

oh yea...travel. I adore traveling!

SO if God ever decided to give us a..............

Craig Sjoquist

When I started and really knew that sign painting was for me, I also knew would be done working and enjoying life long after I'm gone and have faded away.