• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reversed Gold Leaf Vinyl..........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to find gold leaf vinyl.... other than 'Sign Gold' which is double-sided for decorating a front window. If I wait til I can do it outside, it will be too long for this customer. They want to put something up..... now. :rolleyes:

I've called a few distributors and they all tell me the same thing..... it ain't possible. Yet, I know it can be done and it ain't 'Sign Gold'.

Any ideas, please advise.

:thankyou: Gino

J Hill Designs

if you want 'patent' (gold chrome look) - avery double-gold

as for engine turn, flourentine, etc, I have no idea...the ones I have seen are silver on the adhesive side

Biker Scout

Optically Clear Double Sided Mounting Film. Just lam the adhesive of the engine turn so it's not sticky. Mount the mounting film to the face of the engine turn, then plot cut everything. Viola!

Kottwitz-Graphics

Out of curiosity, why do you say no to sign gold? Is there something about sign gold I don't know?

I just flipped through the copy of sign craft I have beside me, and saw an ad for Real sign gold...is that any better?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity, why do you say no to sign gold? Is there something about sign gold I don't know?

I just flipped through the copy of sign craft I have beside me, and saw an ad for Real sign gold...is that any better?

Other than cost, nothing. However, they no longer make a two-sided kind anymore, either.
Besides mirrored gold, I can't find any flourentine double-sided gold. :Oops:

Kottwitz-Graphics

Other than cost, nothing. However, they no longer make a two-sided kind anymore, either.
Besides mirrored gold, I can't find any flourentine double-sided gold. :Oops:

Ohhhh, I see.

Yeah, I don't think there is anything else that will work.

The only thing else positive I can think of is it's supposed to warm up this weekend, at least for us, and we are not that much further south that you, so maybe you will get some of that warmer air, and you can knock it out.

If we could only figure out how to box up some of Dougs (ISign) weather and have him send it to us.

Vinylman

Possible solution?

Gino;Would your client consider you doing the gold leaf on a new piece of glass in the traditional way? Then mounting the new sign INSIDE the door or window with some type of stand off system that would mount to the second surface of the door or window?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope.

I was originally pricing for doing it on the outside, then she mentioned about having it done by a certain date, which will still be in the cold weather months. So, the other option would obviously be to letter in reverse..... inside. My problem is, I thought someone made this flourentined sh!t double-sided. I hate waiting to do a window for a fair-weathered day. Ya do that.... and something comes along and stops ya in your tracks, like rain or wind.

Good thing is, I didn't tell her it would be with a pattern, I just don't like mirrored gold leaf vinyl, especially for a front window. Looks too gaudy for me.

ps.. I did put a call into Grimco and waiting for them to call me back. Again, I'm not too keen about engine turn on a front window. :rolleyes:

SignManiac

Did you offer her real 23k gilding for the inside, two tone with matte centers and three color split drop shading? Maybe upsell her with mother of pearl inlays? She would have a nice windos!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:ROFLMAO: mon, yew be too funnee...........

This is a lawyers office and her Dad was one of the areas leading criminal defense attorneys of all times in our area, but she's still too cheap to do it up right.

SignManiac

My very first gilded window job was for an attorney. He called and said he wanted his name on the window in real gold and could I do it for him? I said yes of course!
As soon as I got off the phone, I called and ordered the book Gold Leaf Techniques by Raymond J. Leblanc. Read it, did a sample piece on some glass and then went and did his window. Took a long time but it came out good. Sold a dozen or more jobs over the years but it finally fell out of fashion. Sure does look good though.

Drip Dry

Why can't you do it on the outside ?

As long as the weather is above 40deg , it can be done.
According to the weather channel, looks like in your area, Mon is 50, Tues is 49...

Seems to me your creating a problem for yourself... and alot of unnecessary stress