• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Right/Wrong Ethical/Unethical

Would you wait for the required material to arrive or just use something similar and in stock?

• Wait

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Use something else

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I received a government job, a set of window perf print and installs for the Air Force. Required materials are a specific 3M 60/40 perf and 3M laminate. I've already priced it for these products however, I was told the 60/40 material is not in stock and probably won't be until the end of October, which means maybe November or December. I'm not crazy about applying window graphics under 30 degrees and it just seems ridiculous that I can't just use similar materials.

Should I wait for the correct material or just go ahead with a different product?

CanuckSigns

I would substitute for a product of similar quality, as long as you stand behind it if it fails I don't see an issue.

visual800

I never do the "required materials" they ask for I just comparable or the product Im used to doing they dont know the difference

Bengt Backhaus

Every time i've done work where they specified 3M (or anything else),
i asked if had to be the specified material.
The answer has always been: "Use something similar, as long as the result is good"

victor bogdanov

they wont know the difference...
Capture.JPG

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, from a post looking for help to a political post in 5 posts, I wish I could say that was a record but I doubt it is.

It must be boring having your entire personality revolve around 1 thing.

If the shoe fits..... you know what to do.

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We've done a number of projects for the air force. out at the base, and for the recruiters office. They have never told us that we have to use a specific material. They leave that up us.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would use something similar. People don't know the difference, and they aren't going to care as long as it holds up.

I was installing some Oracal 631 yesterday at a new business. The husband was there putting together IKEA tables, wearing brand new fancy work gloves with velcro and rubber fingers, using all brand new tools, all laid out and perfectly organized. He starts asking me if I'm using 3M and telling me how it's the best...I told him no because they don't make this type of vinyl with the colors available and everyone uses Oracal 631 for this type of install. He sat and watched me for about 5 minutes with his arms crossed. Then I asked if he works in a sign shop that he uses 3M vinyl. Nope. He works in a factory and he puts stickers on generators and they say 3M on the back. He dry appies and hardly ever gets a bubble...he's really good.

A few minutes later he broke a fitting for the table and had to ask his wife if she thought it would still be sturdy enough. It was a comical installation, a good laugh for the end of the day!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We've done contracts for the Air Force for printers before and they might ask for a Roland but we spec a Mimaki that has similar features and they never bat an eye.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Since 3M stopped making perf for the rest of this year (from what I'm told) they are spec'ing "unobtainium". Get the best quality 60/40 you can buy, and it'll be a comparable warranty to 3Ms vinyl and roll with it.

Last edited:

netsol

Premium Subscriber
For any regular customer there is no question that I'd substitute it with an equal product. The federal government, I dunno. It wouldn't hurt to verbally ask someone.
the problem there, as they say, you can't verbally modify a written contract

i realize the feds are known for bending over backwards to be reasonable, but...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
the problem there, as they say, you can't verbally modify a written contract

i realize the feds are known for bending over backwards to be reasonable, but...
I agree. I only said that because you can really use whatever you want without consequence. Sometimes putting it in writing really complicates things. A phone call is a professional to make it a you know and I know thing without opening a can of worms.