• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ripping on a MAC - what software you using?

speedmedia

I know this has been brought up but I couldn't find much in a search. Anyone ripping on a MAC and if so which RIP software have you had the most luck with? We are finally getting rid of our last tow PC's left in the shop and moving our rip stations over to Apple as well. Just sick of all of the problems.

I have heard Wasatch is good but just wondered of any others people are having luck with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kurt

FatCat

I think Wasatch is a great RIP, but didn't realize they made a version for the Mac. I quickly looked at their system requirements and while it does list Mac, they may be referring to the Mac's ability to also run Windows through Bootcamp or VMware Fusion. (You may want to double-check just in case.)

I'm also a mac user, but I have one dedicated Dell PC setup just for my Wasatch RIP. It is not tied into our network just a straight path to and from the printer only. Wasatch has fantastic output quality and color accuracy. It is very easy to use and has several built-in tools that may help your workflow.

Wish I could be of more help in suggesting a Mac RIP. I found it simpler to just use a standalone PC for my RIP and design on my Mac.

bbeens

Wasatch does not run natively on a Mac. We do allow for Mac clients to send jobs via ethernet to hotfolders. But you must have a PC running for Softrip to rip your files.

Bryan

speedmedia

Colorburst is what I've used in the past.

Colorburst is what I was thinking.... Sorry about the confusion. I am downloading a trial of Shiraz right now as well, heard that is ok to use.

I would stick with the PC just for ripping but everything else we have is APPLE and it just is a pain to have to upgrade all of the different software and such on each platform. If we just run one platform then I don't have to buy the Adobe suites and upgrades everytime. Just trying to streamline the process over here.

Thanks,
Kurt

John Butto

Shiraz

This is the RIP on my MacBook Pro 10.5 which is used just for the printer and it does a great job on colors from banners to photo paper.

Bill Modzel

I started using PosterJet about 8 years ago for my HP5000. It was a genuine Mac RIP and worked well on my Powerbook believe it or not. It was very fast and printed anything I threw at it.

I had to "upgrade" when I bought my HP9000s and the Mac version of PJ wasn't finished yet. I bought a MacPro dual core and set it up with Parallels and the Window's version of PJ with the promise that the Mac version would be ready within the year. Fast forward 4 years and I'm still running it in Parallels. I check in every 6 months or so and ask when it will be Mac again and it's always 6 months or so. It's a great RIP and I'm hoping it will be Mac native again.

I must say that the RIP runs fine but if you loose the USB connection you may be in for a bunch of restarts of the app and/or XP and/or the HP.

I talked with a rep at Xrite last week and she said that EFI eXpress RIP would run on the Mac. I haven't looked into this yet but I am interested. Caldera is the Unix/MAc RIP usually recommended.

Isn't Colorburst Epson only?

WildWestDesigns

If you use software like Parrells, you should be able run any windows RIP software on your MAC. You just also have to get the PC OS for the virtual drive that is created on the MAC.

I will mention that I have heard through the grapevine that the latest MAC OS is supposedly to come out with support for Windows programs without the need of separate programs. Don't know the validity of that happening or not, but there are ways around the issue.

2972renfro

If you use software like Parrells, you should be able run any windows RIP software on your MAC. You just also have to get the PC OS for the virtual drive that is created on the MAC.

I will mention that I have heard through the grapevine that the latest MAC OS is supposedly to come out with support for Windows programs without the need of separate programs. Don't know the validity of that happening or not, but there are ways around the issue.

Doubtful. You need a valid Windows license to run Windows programs. That should not change. Anything else would circumvent some EULA

It certainly won't happen on Mac OSx Lion

Darwine project is what you are thinking of. Not produced by apple but rather some other developer

speedmedia

So I installed Parallels on my computer hoping to install either Onyx or RasterLink on it but it doesn't support Firewire. Of course it supports everything else but this damn JV3 I have is Firewire, which is the cause of much of my problems anyways.

Anyone know a way to get around the Firewire issue in Parallels?

Thanks,
Kurt

WildWestDesigns

Darwine project is what you are thinking of. Not produced by apple but rather some other developer

Gotcha. I didn't know the validity of it, just what I had heard. I personally like the Parallels program, but I haven't had an issue with it either, so I haven't had to see the other side of it which is customer support. Which on some things have soured their overall appeal to me.

cgsigns_jamie

Make sure you map the Firewire Device (the printer) in Parallels.

I switched from Parallels to Fusion so I don't have the ability to walk you through it at the moment.

Basically you need to open up the preferences for the virtual machine. Then go to devices, select Firewire, and make sure the printer is mapped to the virtual machine and not the Mac.

speedmedia

Make sure you map the Firewire Device (the printer) in Parallels.

I switched from Parallels to Fusion so I don't have the ability to walk you through it at the moment.

Basically you need to open up the preferences for the virtual machine. Then go to devices, select Firewire, and make sure the printer is mapped to the virtual machine and not the Mac.

Does Fusion support Firewire? I am not married to Parallels I just tried that as an option.

Otherwise in Parallels I am trying to do what you suggested but there is no option for Firewire. I was told Parallels doesn't support firewire. Is this the workaround for this?

Any more info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kurt