• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Robert's First Town Hall Meeting

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Fastsigns business model is closer to retail than what most people here seem to want to be. Personally, I don't like it when people respond to reviews unless it is a clarification of some sort. It sounds like a desperate salesman with too much time on their hands. Why go on and reply to every review with something that goes without saying. Of course you appreciate their business and hope they come back.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, your title is Zero Cost Marketing and you want us to figure out the various zero cost methods ??

Your idea of marketing is not my idea at all, based upon your OP.
Your second view is not in my opinion marketing, either.

Marketing is simply getting your product or service out there. You and your team acting as a unified group. You need to understand your customers and their needs and stay on top of it with them as well as cultivate new customers. While marketing can take on other responsibilities, the zero cost methods are nothing more than cheap cop outs..... other than word of mouth.

Pricing has nothing to do with marketing pers se.
Distribution is after you have your product and trade/service figured out.
Branding is for moving forward.

Relationship and social........ I don't see how they fit in at this point ??

Notarealsignguy

Relationship building like joining a trade group, meet and greets, supplier golf outings etc. Social maybe like facebook or linkedin? I hate facebook but it seems to work even for B2B.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Fastsigns business model is closer to retail than what most people here seem to want to be. Personally, I don't like it when people respond to reviews unless it is a clarification of some sort. It sounds like a desperate salesman with too much time on their hands. Why go on and reply to every review with something that goes without saying. Of course you appreciate their business and hope they come back.
Notarealsignguy As mentioned in my OP, relationships matter. One of my clients encourages reviews and responds to each one. And, their business is growing.
On a wider scope, two items of interest to me. First, when I took my Google certification training, they made quite clear that if a company responds to reviews, that company has a better chance at a higher ranking. And then, relationships are so important. If a sign shop is getting reviews from loyal clients, then I would at least suggest that the owner know full well what those clients would expect and appreciate. Add to that, I have been told that prospective clients often will look at reviews. If they see a response from the owner, that is a plus.
Let me share my coaching on responding. Three short sentences. 1) Thank you because....... 2) Use their first name and quote a phrase with a comment about the phrase. 3) A short sentence about how a crew member enjoyed working with them. Or, some insider short story about the business that relates to the review.
I hope all of this makes a little sense. I appreciate your input and feedback.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
So, your title is Zero Cost Marketing and you want us to figure out the various zero cost methods ??

Your idea of marketing is not my idea at all, based upon your OP.
Your second view is not in my opinion marketing, either.

Marketing is simply getting your product or service out there. You and your team acting as a unified group. You need to understand your customers and their needs and stay on top of it with them as well as cultivate new customers. While marketing can take on other responsibilities, the zero cost methods are nothing more than cheap cop outs..... other than word of mouth.

Pricing has nothing to do with marketing pers se.
Distribution is after you have your product and trade/service figured out.
Branding is for moving forward.

Gino Thank you for responding. Your opinion and viewpoints are very much respected and appreciated.
When you first started out and wanted more clients, what did you do?

Notarealsignguy

That all sounds cheesy. Maybe that fluff appeals to susie homemaker but Id bet you that it turns off the business people that you would actually want as a customer. Maybe I am narrow minded but it sure seems to me that most established businesses don't care about where they are in google. It just creates a bunch of busy work from tire kickers and dreamers. If you are growing, you will never be able to convince me that there is anything better than going out and selling. That way, you pick who you do business with and you call on people that would typically have work within your current scope of operations.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
you pick who you do business with
Notarealsignguy Your phrase, "pick who....." is, by far, the approach that resonates with me. Let me ask you to think about this. In your selling, you found some of those "pick who.." clients. Once you have established a solid relationship with them, do you see any value in asking them if they would point you toward some of their like-minded business colleagues? In other words, a quality referral?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Relationship building like joining a trade group, meet and greets, supplier golf outings etc. Social maybe like facebook or linkedin? I hate facebook but it seems to work even for B2B.

That ain't free to do, unless you're a one-time guest.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
If you don't already ask how new clients found you, please consider developing that habit, one tiny step at a time. They may say, "On the Internet." In a short sentence, explain why it is important to you. Maybe ask if it was Google or ??
Why do I see asking "how" is so important? It helps you to be aware of what is going on today. It is information that will help you make quality decisions going forward.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino Thank you for responding. Your opinion and viewpoints are very much respected and appreciated.
When you first started out and wanted more clients, what did you do?

Other than pound the pavements and talk to other sign shops who needed hand painters..... none of this other gobbledigook was around back then. Yellowpages, radio ads, television ads, run specials in the newspaper and go to sign mixers when they started up/ Being around like-minded people was the best thing I ever did.

Your comebacks are aged old old fashioned business tactics.

Like mentioned earlier....... Word-of-mouth is by far the best advertisement you can ever get. Not some made up review on someone's website or googled account. That stuff is usually made up. If not made up, doctored. Fastsigns is a p!sspoor example. Ya know how much money they put into advertising ?? Wa-a-a-a-ay more than you are discussing in this thread.

It is one thing for you to go out and toot your own horn, but it's another thing when Joe Blow says..... Hey, did you see what that shop did for me ?? They're frickin' great. That's networking at it's roots. Not these little frickin' hen parties at chamber meetings and golf outings. That's for the big boys who are bored and wanna get outta the office. They don't wanna do business. They're there to good off.

Now, talking about tooting your own horn and whatnot....... I'm trying real hard here to see what this is all leading up to. So far, I don't see you using any of the mumbo jumbo you're spouting out about ?? Where are you testimonials ?? Where are your customers lists ?? Where are your well-done projects ??​

Can you possibly put your feats of success into words, instead of riddles ??

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert are you that annoying guy who calls me everyday about my Google listing.
Z SIGNS No, I do not do any telemarketing. Z SIGNS if you do have a Google listing, decide for yourself what to do with it. All I am trying to say is make that a quality decision. Plus, feel free to ask me any questions about your listing. I will answer right here.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Other than pound the pavements and talk to other sign shops who needed hand painters..... none of this other gobbledigook was around back then. Yellowpages, radio ads, television ads, run specials in the newspaper and go to sign mixers when they started up/ Being around like-minded people was the best thing I ever did.

Your comebacks are aged old old fashioned business tactics.

Like mentioned earlier....... Word-of-mouth is by far the best advertisement you can ever get. Not some made up review on someone's website or googled account. That stuff is usually made up. If not made up, doctored. Fastsigns is a p!sspoor example. Ya know how much money they put into advertising ?? Wa-a-a-a-ay more than you are discussing in this thread.

It is one thing for you to go out and toot your own horn, but it's another thing when Joe Blow says..... Hey, did you see what that shop did for me ?? They're frickin' great. That's networking at it's roots. Not these little frickin' hen parties at chamber meetings and golf outings. That's for the big boys who are bored and wanna get outta the office. They don't wanna do business. They're there to good off.

Now, talking about tooting your own horn and whatnot....... I'm trying real hard here to see what this is all leading up to. So far, I don't see you using any of the mumbo jumbo you're spouting out about ?? Where are you testimonials ?? Where are your customers lists ?? Where are your well-done projects ??​

Can you possibly put your feats of success into words, instead of riddles ??
Gino As you say, "Word-of-mouth is by far the best advertisement you can ever get." As I see it, a sign maker has two choices: Just hope that word-of-mouth happens, or deliberately develop a well-thought-out plan. Gino Is that approach still "old old fashioned?"

Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Your phrase, "pick who....." is, by far, the approach that resonates with me. Let me ask you to think about this. In your selling, you found some of those "pick who.." clients. Once you have established a solid relationship with them, do you see any value in asking them if they would point you toward some of their like-minded business colleagues? In other words, a quality referral?
I have but it usually sounds better than it is. I don't mean to sound like the big show but if I see someone that I want to do business with, I just go after it. No referrals, no fluff, just start hitting it until you get what you want. I tried the whole so and so said to come see you but half the time they get stand offish with that because every salesman uses that.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I have but it usually sounds better than it is. I don't mean to sound like the big show but if I see someone that I want to do business with, I just go after it. No referrals, no fluff, just start hitting it until you get what you want. I tried the whole so and so said to come see you but half the time they get stand offish with that because every salesman uses that.
Notarealsignguy I wonder. Does that mean that you have no interest in genuine referrals?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Robert, one doesn't just say one day..... I'm gonna be a sign person and then go out and start shouting to the masses how good I am. You don't HOPE for something to happen. Your thought out plan should include training on your desired trade, becoming good at it, then making your work available to/for others.

Many years ago (true story)..... an old good friend of mine, I was lettering his race car (old volvo) in his garage. Bunch of us there talking about all kindsa things and the subject of his son came up. He said, get a load of this. My son's been a gun nut for the last few years, so he said he was gonna go out and start a smith shop. I asked if he needed a sign (networking, ya know) and he said, just wait. He said, he rented a place, put a cardboard sign in the window and waited for business to come to his door. A week later, he got an answering machine. At this time, that was by far the newest thing to have. Faxes weren't even around, yet. So, he said, his kid came to him a while later and said, Dad, I'm gonna quit this gun business sh!t. It just ain't working. I don't have any customers. No one calls while I'm there and NOBODY has left one message on my new machine yet, not one. I don't think the machine is working.

Fundamentals will never go out-of-style.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Late to the show today!

My top 3:
1. Word of Mouth
2. Facebook
3. Google search

I post my favorite jobs on FB 2-3 posts per week. My FB analytics show 1-2pm and 6pm is when my posts are most viewed so that's when I schedule them. It's free and I have a handful of faithful followers that "share" my posts.

I have no idea why anyone looking to grow or looking to make some quick sales such as graduation signs or banners would not utilize FB.

May 2020 - between 2 posts for graduation signs and banners I had 5.1K reaches and almost 1,000 engagements.

I paid $20 for ONE graduation "boost post" - 5.2K reaches, 1.5K engagements, 121 comments

My average posts are between 1-600 reaches, 2-100 engagements. Posts having to do with school or city are always shared multiple times and get the most reaches and engagements. Always tell your customer you plan to plaster them on FB. If it's a new business, I say that! Everyone shares it, good for the new business and good for me!

That's peanuts compared to most of you who have larger companies.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, one doesn't just say one day..... I'm gonna be a sign person and then go out and start shouting to the masses how good I am. You don't HOPE for something to happen. Your thought out plan should include training on your desired trade, becoming good at it, then making your work available to/for others.

Many years ago (true story)..... an old good friend of mine, I was lettering his race car (old volvo) in his garage. Bunch of us there talking about all kindsa things and the subject of his son came up. He said, get a load of this. My son's been a gun nut for the last few years, so he said he was gonna go out and start a smith shop. I asked if he needed a sign (networking, ya know) and he said, just wait. He said, he rented a place, put a cardboard sign in the window and waited for business to come to his door. A week later, he got an answering machine. At this time, that was by far the newest thing to have. Faxes weren't even around, yet. So, he said, his kid came to him a while later and said, Dad, I'm gonna quit this gun business sh!t. It just ain't working. I don't have any customers. No one calls while I'm there and NOBODY has left one message on my new machine yet, not one. I don't think the machine is working.

Fundamentals will never go out-of-style.
Gino Thank you for your story. Very interesting. Let's back up to your phrase, "then making your work available to/for others." As I see it, that is the exact point where a well-planned zero-cost-marketing system can be effective. That exact point is right at the center of my concern. In 2021, what is the best decision for a sign maker in that place?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Late to the show today!

My top 3:
1. Word of Mouth
2. Facebook
3. Google search

I post my favorite jobs on FB 2-3 posts per week. My FB analytics show 1-2pm and 6pm is when my posts are most viewed so that's when I schedule them. It's free and I have a handful of faithful followers that "share" my posts.

I have no idea why anyone looking to grow or looking to make some quick sales such as graduation signs or banners would not utilize FB.

May 2020 - between 2 posts for graduation signs and banners I had 5.1K reaches and almost 1,000 engagements.

I paid $20 for ONE graduation "boost post" - 5.2K reaches, 1.5K engagements, 121 comments

My average posts are between 1-600 reaches, 2-100 engagements. Posts having to do with school or city are always shared multiple times and get the most reaches and engagements. Always tell your customer you plan to plaster them on FB. If it's a new business, I say that! Everyone shares it, good for the new business and good for me!

That's peanuts compared to most of you who have larger companies.
Stacey K So good to hear from you. I really appreciate your input and feedback.

Last edited: