• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rolls roller or CWT table?

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Ok... now that I've watched the videos on this thing... Wow! What is the typical price for the CWT 1847B (13ft. 12in. x 5ft 8in)?

TrustMoore_TN

No it doesn't physically attach to the table, it has a really grippy pad (and I do mean grippy) that works very well with their clear cutting mat. The linear cutter alone is a very nice tool and once that has already seen lots of use in our shop cutting down vinyl, banner and magnets so far this week. I don't feel it's clunky at all - really much nicer to use than a straight edge and olga, but it takes some getting used to for all of us as we've been doing it the old fashioned way for years.

FatCat- How do you like that clear cutting mat? Would you recommend it over the traditional self healing mats for regular work tables?

FS-Keith

I think I have it narrowed down to the rolls roller RX400/175. the rx is the latest version it does not have the bar above the rollers and has up down buttons instead of the toggle. It has adjustable table hight with the touch of a button. They built it to compete with the cwt. the table I am getting is 65x143" usable. my main gripe with the cwt is the roller is only 60" wide it should have been 62" to easily handle 5' wide materials and that they are being sued and might not make it. Its a 4-6 week lead time on the RR so that kinda stinks.

TrustMoore_TN

I think I have it narrowed down to the rolls roller RX400/175. the rx is the latest version it does not have the bar above the rollers and has up down buttons instead of the toggle. It has adjustable table hight with the touch of a button. They built it to compete with the cwt. the table I am getting is 65x143" usable. my main gripe with the cwt is the roller is only 60" wide it should have been 62" to easily handle 5' wide materials and that they are being sued and might not make it. Its a 4-6 week lead time on the RR so that kinda stinks.

Great point about the 60" wide roller on the CWT. That would only apply about to 5% of the work we do, but for shops doing alot of 60" wide substrates would definitely be better served with a 62" roller.

Split76

I bought my first rolls roller at 2009, last year i sold it and bought bigger 4500x1800mm (177x70 inch) CWT. CWT is nicer because there is no upper beam i think. But rollsroller has just released https://www.facebook.com/Roll-X-Flatbed-Applicator-905591046204855/ .. If I heard right, it's rollsrollers but released with another brand. If that's not true, I've had too many beers. :loveya:
Only difference between my first roller and much bigger CWT is that rollsrollers table was flat (and much smaller), but CWT's table is little bit like V shape. If I place a ruler across it, it's 3-5mm elevated at the center. The roll presses it down and flattens it. That's not a problem unless you cut something across it with a ruler. It's not nice when ruler rocks when cutting.
I don't know about bigger rollsrollers tables, are they V shaped too or not.

FatCat

FatCat- How do you like that clear cutting mat? Would you recommend it over the traditional self healing mats for regular work tables?

I believe they ar specifically clear because its a lighted table and the glass on the table already has a white diffuser behind it. I will say for now it's "OK" - although if you do deep cuts it shows up as light blue lines in the matte - almost like someone drew a line with a blue ballpoint pen. So, we've learned to be a little easier on cutting on this table vs our traditional mats we get from Speedpress. Light cuts don't show, so films, banner, etc we cut on this - anything requiring heavy pressure (PVC, coro, etc.) we do on our regular work tables.

DustinD

Merchant Member
I can get a rolls roller for the same price as a cwt so its really not about that. the cwt table im looking at is 60"x140" and the rolls roller is 64x 122". my main question is does the cross bar on the rolls roller get in the way? the cwt table does not have it. rolls roller claims this is a flaw but i do not see it that way, longevity is yet to be seen. CWT also claims they can do 60" wide applications with their 60" roller. if they cant or its a pIA then thats out of consideration. anyone here with a cwt that can comment on that? Also can both of these apply prints to foamcore? not gatorboard, foamcore

It does not get in the way. I actually like to use it as it gives you many options for positioning your hands to move the beam.

Rolls roller now has a new version called the Rolls X that does not have the top beam, at a more affordable price. My preference would be to go with a top cross beam. It makes using the machine easier.

FS-Keith

It does not get in the way. I actually like to use it as it gives you many options for positioning your hands to move the beam.

Rolls roller now has a new version called the Rolls X that does not have the top beam, at a more affordable price. My preference would be to go with a top cross beam. It makes using the machine easier.

i have used both and personally like the one without the beam on top. I ordered the 65x141" rolls X 2 weeks ago. it has a 6 week lead time

SqueeGee

i have used both and personally like the one without the beam on top. I ordered the 65x141" rolls X 2 weeks ago. it has a 6 week lead time

Seems like you're probably right at the 6 week point, have you gotten it, yet?

We built our own a few years ago and it works well but mine has a gantry over the bed(like some of the others that are for sale). I really like the idea of not having that and am interested to hear your experience once you get it.

FS-Keith

Seems like you're probably right at the 6 week point, have you gotten it, yet?

We built our own a few years ago and it works well but mine has a gantry over the bed(like some of the others that are for sale). I really like the idea of not having that and am interested to hear your experience once you get it.

It just landed in canada im told and will be installed sometime next week. i will keep this thread updated after i recieve it

Karen Souza

I bought a rollsroller last September....LOVE IT!
the beam is not problematic for me, the way I look at it,
the roller has an overhead "stiffner" to help keep everything
aligned. The quality is superb, its built like a tank, and the distributor
is only an hour away for me. Thats important, you never know what can go wrong
with any of the equipment we purchase. I dont want to deal with someone
from China if there's a problem, no matter the cheap price!

MikePro

patent infringements don't affect the end-user. RR&CWT are hardly the only two companies producing laminator tables, but they are definitely the best of the bunch.

that being said, we just bought the CWT 1647 and LOVE IT! Already got highschool kids with zero experience applying 4x8 panels like a Pro.

Save the $$$, and install it yourself. Easy youtube instructional video to follow, and had it up n' running in under a day.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

We have had our CWT for 1 year and 4 months now. It still performs as new. We also bought the linear cutting. It still functions perfect.

I am glad we paid CWT to install it. My back is not what is once was.

Quoting someone but I do not know who..... "I am not as good as I once was, but I am as good once as I ever was." ... or something like that.

FatCat

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. OK, let me give a brief follow up on our purchase and my opinion on the table...

1. The table has worked flawlessly and is used every day by each of my 3 employees. Couldn't be happier with the purchase - it was quite a bit more expensive than I would have liked, but the increase of production, accuracy and reduction of waste and do-overs has definitely helped offset some of the cost and as time goes by will continue to pay dividends. I feel the biggest benefit is in laminating. Being able to do small jobs with little bits of laminates vs. threading up the big laminator saves both time and money.

2. For several months we ran the table with the wheels/casters because we were waiting on other equipment to be moved/sold and I can say once you get that thing set up on its feet and leveled it really makes a big difference.

3. My only complaints is that its a little tall for shorter people - I'm 6' 4 with long arms, so no issues here, lol. Also, the clear cutting matte tends to wear quickly if you're cutting a lot on it. We flipped ours over about 6 months ago and just now really need to order a new one as the numerous little cuts tend to make laminating tough without silvering/little bubbles.

Best advice is keep the roller clean, don't risk cutting your roller by leaving Xactos or Olfas lying around and make sure you're using an air compressor you can stand the noise of...if I had to, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

*LASTLY - I thought I saw a thread on here that had some places listed where you could buy the clear cutting mats. Would anyone be kind enough to post that up again here?