• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question sandwiching mdo with aluminum faces

netsol

we are replacing a 48" x 76 MDO double sided sign (UV printed about 7 years ago, the whites are rapidly turning brown)
it is 3/4" mdo,my intention is to take a sheet of 5/8" mdo, paint & seal the edges, then have WYLD GFI print it on for me on .040 aluminum, spray the mdo with something
like a 3m spray adhesive, place the aluminum sheet, then run the whole thing through one of my Daige laminators. flip and repeat the process for the other side

any reason this is not a good idea?

netsol

sign is currently mounted between 2 posts, sign board is sandwiched between 2 pieces of 1-1/2" angle iron, with (3) 1/4" through bolts retaining it in place [(5) 1/4" through bolts going through the angle iron to the posts

John Miller

Build a SignComp series 2 frame. Have your printer print the faces on .063 aluminum. VHB tape the faces to the frame. You'll have no issues like the ones that may arise with .040 aluminum attached to MDO with "some kind of spray adhesive" Make all signs in a way that exposes you to the least
possibility of future material failures. Jerry-rigged construction solutions can eventually come back to bite you in the butt and the client will have forgotten about the money you saved them, you're just on the hook to make it right.

unmateria

I dont know if i understand ok (my english is somewhat limited), but i would use polyester putty, sand, polish, paint and varnish (like in car repairs). That thing stick like soldered to nearly anything and its ultrahard. Sounds like a lot of work but its really fast. Buy a japanese "spatulas" and a good polisher, good spray painting (ask in a car repair shop what works good there in your zone) and a compatible varnish if you want to make it perfect

unmateria

Ah, and about mdo i dont use it anymore for outsides... It always finally fail for me, no matter the treatments i try. Sometimes works for 3 years and some times for a week... And well... Customers want they signs forever even when u say the cheaper option is going to last 2 years. I dont do "cheapies" anymore... If you want something that last ok, if u only want price, look for other sign shop... There are ultracheap ones lol

ikarasu

Why not just print on .081 aluminum? It'd probably be cheaper than .041 and a piece of mdo... And last forever.

Your sign is only as strong as the weakest link... Which would be the spray on glue. Gluing wood to aluminum isn't always the easiest.

If you want to go that route.... Sand / scuff up the back of the aluminum, and use a really strong adhesive like lords glue. I wouldn't use spray on stuff... Then it should work. But honestly it's much less work to just use .081, if you want it super sturdy move up to 1/8" aluminum... It all depends on how it's mounted.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Got a pic?
The MDO has to be still good if only 7 years right? Why not buy 2 sheets of ACM and attach them over the old sign?