• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scissor Lift in Car Dealership showroom tile breaking

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have to do some vinyl on a wall that is 20'-25' tall. Floor is tile so I'm not getting an extension ladder up there. The area on the wall I have to work on is around 8'x12' so that'd be a lot of moving around.

I thought of a scissor lift but the GM said they used one a few months ago and it broke some of the tiles that were on the floor.

You guys have any ideas of how I can get up there? The GM said they did the letters while they were remodeling so we assume it was before they laid the tile.

Imw5P3DMSTfW7kNXm6M46au6FD7l6F3LOLvBdncbHC-1SbOixpiuSAcEj8e8rDpcMyJR8Ko2NlXEY7xuIi5G64yjHwr7G1oryaoKcBIw-HStszpofwlh3padavIvP3miDXuL23p1Yzg=w1920-h934-no

Dan360

In the arena we do work in, they lay plywood under where the lift is going to spread out the weight and not damage the court.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You can lay down carpet and plywood so it doesn't skid. I would walk away though, hassle can't be worth the price they are willing to pay for vinyl letters.

Billct2

Those floors are usually designed to hold cars driving on them, don't know why they couldn't handle a lift. But the underlayment is a good idea, we've used on outside pavers with bucket trucks. Also using regular scaffolding would work. Install cost is more that the lettering, but that's the way it goes. I have some retail clients with warehouse ceilings, a $50 sign requires a lift to hang from the ceiling.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
How far is the entry door? Maybe you can rent
a lift that has the reach to get to the top of the wall while being parked outside.
Or just go from the top down with one of these and your safety harness.

Tex-drop.jpg

There are also light weight lifts but it would not be fun moving them around to get to the whole install area.

ml3.png

Last edited:

2B

we have used those thick rubber mats as you see in a weight room.
spreads the weight and doesn't slide.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The only way a lift would break any tiles would be if the tires were full of nails and crap. You must tell the place where you are renting it, to make sure the tires are free and clean of all debris and not leaking because it will be used indoors on a tile floor. We've been using scissors lifts on tile floors for years and only had one accident. However, the lift had an oil leak, so we put a diaper on it. You can also get tire muffs too, to prevent any skid or scuff marks.

mfatty500

What about a mini Telescopic material handler, you'd need another person, but they are rubber tired, and you'd have to empty the showroom so you could maneuver around

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, but can you do that over 20' in the air ?? I wouldn't want to. I have several of those aluminum walk planks and 3 sets of those ladders, but I ain't doing it 25' up there. Hmmmm... maybe if I was younger, but not anymore.

AF

The only way a lift would break any tiles would be if the tires were full of nails and crap. You must tell the place where you are renting it, to make sure the tires are free and clean of all debris and not leaking because it will be used indoors on a tile floor. We've been using scissors lifts on tile floors for years and only had one accident. However, the lift had an oil leak, so we put a diaper on it. You can also get tire muffs too, to prevent any skid or scuff marks.

If the tiles were installed with air voids they can deflect and crack. Run into this a lot down this way due to the combination of cheap tiles and poor installs. An off-road scissor lift with pneumatic tires would probably spread the load like a car tire as compared to a standard roller wheel. I would just rent scaffold and not worry about it. You can buy used scaffold for the same cost as renting sometimes so start there.

equippaint

Problem with the tires is they are solid and have a real small contact area for the weight, just like a warehouse forklift. It would have to be something solid like plywood under it to disperse the weight. Not sure what you did to make it skid around, we run ours on plywood. Another thing inside you need to be careful of is the tires, not all are non-marking and using a diaper. Its quite a disaster if they leak on a floor and the oil stains the grout or concrete. Been there, done that. 1 man lift may work but properly installed scaffold with fall protection would be my vote.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Great posts.

Not doing ladder and plant 20' in the air.

I vowed never to use scaffolding again but honestly that sounds like the only way... I duno about his job now....