• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scratch and Kink Free Posters

KeithMan

We have a new client that has started ordering 4 posters every week that are 60" x 96" printed on Briteline Semi-Gloss poster paper that is about 9 mil. Their art is heavy coverage with floods of different colors which really makes defects stick out if the light is right. We are struggling to produce these without kinks or scuffs from the cutter and handling. We use a Keen Cut for trimming and just sliding it through the machine can cause scuffs that affect the sheen. Our cutting table is only 48" x 120" so kinks can occur when the unsupported edge bends the wrong way.

rjssigns

Start by building a support "wing" on the table then use a safety ruler positioned on the waste side and trim with an Olfa knife.
Next step would be a laminate but that may not be in the budget.

unclebun

What kind of printer? We do posters on our Epson S70670 all the time and don't encounter problems like that. But we don't use Briteline poster paper. We use Intellicoat Gloss Photo.

KeithMan

I appreciate the responses. The printer is an Epson 40600. We tried using PSA vinyl once, but the customer left it rolled up in the heat for a while and said that there were issues with the backer coming off when unrolled and complained. Lamination might be the route we take in the future. I will also give Orajet a try.

Keith

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Just be more careful with it. Use a straight edge and put tape on the bottom of it to keep it from scratching. Put some packing paper or packing foam over the poster when you cut it. Vinyl will kink too and ruin it.
We use a hydraulic shear to cut signs and had to put paper all over it to keep it from scratching the signs on the cast steel bed. Same with our brake. You can't be a gorilla with this stuff, I don't understand the issue.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We print to paper all the time but ALL are laminated with either matte or luster. Paper also works best when laminated and applied to 3/4" black foamboard/Gatorboard. Straight vinyl tends to shrink over time.

netsol

We print to paper all the time but ALL are laminated with either matte or luster. Paper also works best when laminated and applied to 3/4" black foamboard/Gatorboard. Straight vinyl tends to shrink over time.
but isn't the sheet of gator adding $100 to your cost (as well as the laminate.)

as one of our client's said the other day "but i asked you to print on a sheet of f**king paper!"

he did have a point

netsol

This is the way. By tape he likely means the 3m ptfe tape. Don't waste it putting it on squeegee's though, it get's knicks in it very quickly and starts to unthread. But for the bottom of the ruler its great.
Also the 5' table or adding a wing sounds like a must, at least if you're doing posters 5' wide and not wanting them to kink.
What are you paying for a roll of paper? If you have enough in the posters, you might consider going up to synthetic paper. https://nekoosa.com/products/synaps-xm
we have (4) 48" x 96" tables, on hd casters, so you can position them 2 wide (or at least you could until the space got too tight!)

netsol

This is the way. By tape he likely means the 3m ptfe tape. Don't waste it putting it on squeegee's though, it get's knicks in it very quickly and starts to unthread. But for the bottom of the ruler its great.
Also the 5' table or adding a wing sounds like a must, at least if you're doing posters 5' wide and not wanting them to kink.
What are you paying for a roll of paper? If you have enough in the posters, you might consider going up to synthetic paper. https://nekoosa.com/products/synaps-xm
we have wuite a few of the home depot 48" aluminum straight edges.
the come wrapped in heat shrink plastic, snd we use them without removing the plastic

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I just use yellow masking tape? It doesn't slip and slide around. On the shear and brake, I tape old liner paper to it. Substance has nice thick backer that holds up for a long time.

Superior_Adam

I love printing posters on our HP Latex. Does not scratch and prints great. with eco solvent you may need to laminate to resolve the scratching issue.

ikarasu

Look for synthetic paper. We use it all the time - the stuff we buy it from Spicer's... But I'm sure someone else makes it too.

It's more of a plastic than a paper, so it doesn't crinkle or get damaged as easy... On-top of being waterproof it allows it to work outside.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Look for synthetic paper. We use it all the time - the stuff we buy it from Spicer's... But I'm sure someone else makes it too.

It's more of a plastic than a paper, so it doesn't crinkle or get damaged as easy... On-top of being waterproof it allows it to work outside.
Do you have a brand name for this? I need a waterproof poster paper or PET material for eco-sal that won't curl & wrinkle up when the sun tries to melt them. We do vinyl backed with 2mm coro and the customer is fine with them, but I'd like something better looking and not have to mount the prints.

ikarasu

Well... now thats tricky! It was Rite media from All graphics supplies. Then Spicers bought AGS, and rebranded it.

https://allgraphicsuppliescaribbean.com/products/rite-media-paper-9-mil - I'm pretty sure its some cheap chinese stuff... but it works.

https://nekoosa.com/products/synaps-om Nekoosa Makes Synaps - It only lists latex, but it could be worth a try.

Call your supplier and ask them to track down a solvent printable Synthetic paper - Theyre getting pretty popular. We've done everything from hang tags, to screen printed don't leave your food out or the bears will eat you papers for our provinces camp sites. You cant tear it with your hands, its water proof, obviously it'll crinkle if you roll it into a ball or something, but its way, way more durable than paper... it's great stuff!