• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

k.a.s.

Wow three pages and the 3M rep hasn't chimed in yet. I'm just a small fish, but I think I may be trying out some Oracal.

Kevin

Jesse_gvi

We only use 3951 on boats..

3751ra is easily the best vinyl on the market right now. AND.. It's cost less then anything. Also removes like butter.

Josh -- What's the big difference between 3951RA & 3751RA? We used to use 3751 for cab doors, etc. when we first got our printer, then used 3951RA for doing wraps and 3551RA for cabs, then switched to 3M IJ180Cv3/IJ40C-10.

How does it handle the indents on vans around the wheel wells and where windows would be?

I can say I'm not as happy as I thought I would be with the switch from Oracal, especially moving from 3165RA to IJ35C-10 for intermediate applications. It doesn't seems to stick well to Gatorfoam and the air egress seems to trap air on materials like Dibond. Especially if I hand apply a part first, then run the rest through the laminator. Which kind of defeats the purpose of the whole air release deal.

I still use Oraguard 210 though. I don't like the 3M cal lams at all.

Rickey J

I am on board with a lot of you in switching to a new material. I hate when large companies double dip to show a higher profit. Especially when your hurting the people who got you there. I feel there are a lot of companies out there who can and will provide you with a better product and better pricing and not take out of your back pocket. A lot of people see a logo (3m) and assum it's the best of the best and that is truly not the case. I applaud Colorado in his pursuit in what's right in this matter. I for one will be dropping them from my inventory of suppliers of material. I have had issues with them and got cought in the hipe and thought to my self " it's 3M it cant be an issue of the material it must have been the install." Long story short whats happend is wrong and companies all over, in every industry are doing it and we all should take a stand and take back what's ours and stand up for what right or we will keep getting stepped on. Lets admit it our profit margins are not going to get any bigger with companies like this, our profit margins are not that big to begin with.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with 3M. If any of you guys are willing to try alternative printing media, feel free to try us out. We have a large warehouse located in Chino, CA with a good variety of various printing media at competitive prices. Let us know what type of printing media you are interested in and we can send out a few feet of the blank media for free to test out.

Regards,
Signworld US Inc Team.

ucmj22

I would be really surprised if they made a post on this topic. I would guess they probably have a corporate gag on them pertaining to this subject.

Bly

TBH I always thought their stuff was overpriced and not worth the premium.

There are plenty of other manufacturers out there with great quality product so who cares how much they put their prices up.

401Graphics

I wonder if Fred is gonna be getting an email from 3M to remove this thread, or they will stop paying for advertising on signs101?

HulkSmash

attachment.php

Seriously...

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 139

Scott Reynolds

I mean what would they say? Na na nana na?

Come on, there are other materials out there just as good or better.

Speaking of getting reamed by 3M....... (edit) lol

Last edited:

zmatalucci

I will never use 3m. Oracal has never steered me wrong, and they have a better variety of cost effective vinyl.

Last edited:

Cale Frederick

I never have been a big 3m fan... We used a lot of ij35c and ij40c over the past few years though. Maybe 10-15 rolls a month of the ij35c and 4 rolls a month of ij40c. Customers like it because they are well known, but evyone also knows Avery from all their label products. We used several rolls if 180cv3 when we started wrapping cars mostly dueto that was what everyone recommended. We use Avery now for wraps, and I will be cutting 3m out from our other product lines also. Thinking about starting a petition tomorrow for all the sign and graphic shops in our area to cut them too. None of them are members here and may not know what is going on.

ProWraps

we probably spend 200k or more a year on 3M....our rep is an absentee whack job. oracal here we come.

HulkSmash

I wonder if Fred is gonna be getting an email from 3M to remove this thread, or they will stop paying for advertising on signs101?

That would only push the envelope even more of the fact they can't face this issue. "it'll go away eventually, it has before"

not this time.

No one is saying anything wrong. Just listing complaints, and issue they're having. Who asked them to be greedy, and stick their nose in every angle of our business. Stick to selling and manufacturing. Also i know for a fact 3M is very selective to certain companies selling to them directly allowing them to offer better prices then the smaller shops.

Jack Knight1979

A petition sounds like a great idea. Small wrap and sign shops built this industry and now 3m wants to double dip? Sorry. No more 3m products for me. This will be viral quickly. Hitting up Facebook to report to my other sign shop buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.