• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Self-taught or tutored in PhotoShop?

Former member

Baz is right about this program, the learning never stops, simply because the combinations of filters, effects and plugins is infinite. It is even more mind blowing when you start combining with other software like Illustrator, and InDesign, and Flexi, and Corel, and Maya, and Bryce and etc. etc. etc.

I have taken a photoshop class before and I think it served me well for understanding the basics, of file setup, color management, etc. So I do recommend taking a class if your totally green.

The photoshop bible served me very well as reference tool.
I have found the internet to be the ultimate tool, If I get stuck on how to do something there is usually a tutorial somwhere online that explains just what I was looking to do.

I have also found that trips to barnes & nobles magazine section to be inspiring....check out the print/art/ graphic design & computer sections.

threeputt

Wow, lot of people chiming in. I like Rob's idea. Guess I'll check and see what's shakin' at LCC. It's all of two blocks away.

I do have PhotoShop for dummies, and the Video Professor's VCD's.

Thanks all, for sharing.

MAB SIGNS

If only you could plug in to them like NEO did on the Matrix movie. I'm still learning Flexi and Illustrator, hopefully those lend a hand to photoshop learning. I've used it to create a few proofs for clients back when I was a salesman, sounds like I have alot ahead of me. Thanks for all the great links and book references guys.

Geary

I have been to a seminar by Scott Kelby, Great Help! He was at MAC world a few years back! But I still like Burt Monroy the best! That dude is awsome!

Hey Derf. I used to work for Greyhound Expo as a local 510'er... who did that show at Moscone. I helped do booth signs and stuff at MacWorld when they introduced Illustrator88.

Back then they only charged 3 bucks to get in. All the seminars were free.....just walk up and sit down. However, as a union man and show installer sometimes...I got in for free plus bags full of peripherals and deals on Mac. I bought an SE that year before they hit the market for below cost. hehe.....

~Gear

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Photoshop Bible is GREAT at explaining all the whys & wherefores of all the extremities of the sliders in the assorted options you'll come across.
Photoshop Wow! is great to whet your appetite on what can be achieved, though for a beginner I felt some things were not explained clearly (in version 5 anyway).

Inside Adobe Photoshop I found was the best beginner's how-to book I could find at the time.
The Channels book, and all the rest with tutorials or exercises are great- Studio Secrets, Scott kelby's books, Bert Monroy's website or occasional articles- all will help you learn- but you need your own hands-on exercises to begin with. Later you'll realise how you can improve on your own work, and aspire to higher standards.

There are heaps of online tutorials- but you really need your own project to begin with.

I like the books as you can read them in bed!!!

(Oh, self-taught through the school of hard knocks!)

Techman

though for a beginner I felt some things were not explained clearly

ITs still the same with too many tutorial type systems. To many GAPS within too many online tutors. To many gaps in some books too.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
HI Curtis- I agree- but as I got better at using the program, I didn't mind some of the gaps- some things are understood that you know them, at a certain level.
That's why a range of books is good. I have my favourites, but if introducing the program to a friend, I won't head for those but different ones.

Maybe it would be clearer id it specified the tutorial was for an absolute newbie, or for someone moderately competent, or an expert- though a lot do classify themselves a bit like that.

I guess also it depends on who wrote it- a book has some consistency, but online tutorials can have a score or more of authors, each with his own quirks or understood omissions.

Some books & tutorials will specify the menu & the command & the options, others just use the keyboard shortcuts- both systems have their merits, depending on your own status.

niksagkram

Self taught

Being in the middle of rural Alberta, there are not a lot of opportunities for Photoshop classes (read ZERO!) so self taught is the only way here. Books and Internet have been my saviours, especially forums like this one. Where else can you ask a question at 7am, and receive an answer or a tip before 8, and all the way from Australia or the UK, and many places in between!!

Thanks everyone. :U Rock: :thankyou:

Mark