• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shipping issues

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I just thought I would share some insight on shipping. I am in Houston and a good friend of mine is an Ocean Carrier employee. She gave me and my friends some insight on what is going on with the shipping supply chain. This is directly from HER, not me so I have zero opinion on the matter:

"More imported volume than ever recorded. Lack of space to carry the volumes no matter how big we keep building the ships, not enough man power or space at the terminals in the ports, not enough truckers to pull the containers off the ports to free up space. People in shipping have been quite overwhelmed since the pandemic started in China before it made it here and it only continues to worsen every day. .. Estimated recover day is now 1st quarter 2023. Every time we get to mid field, they move the goal post. The trucking shortage has always been an issue because no one wants to drive a truck anymore but you add to it that truckers that haul containers make less because they are paid by the load and are sitting in line at the ports 4,6,8 hours to turn in a box they may only turn 2 loads a day...When there is a lack of truckers and people have loads scheduled with a trucker but the ship is delayed three weeks because of congestion this one box loses its place in line and then has to get back in line to be pulled and maybe that's weeks from then. Multiply that by thousands of containers coming off of maybe 15-20 ships a week per port. This started with shut down factories in Asia due to Covid. So many workers infected they had to shut down entire plants. Led to empty shelves. Then once the plants come back online there still aren't enough workers so production is slow at best compiled by shortages of base materials to make finished products. Then a flood of buying which ramped up volumes. We have complete ports that the congestion is so bad we won't even call the port because it would keep the ship there too long. You only have so many slots on a 10,000 teu vessel and due to draft restrictions in ports and canals they weigh out long before you can reach full capacity. You get the ship in to a US port that again is short of workers working numerous ships at a time pulling the containers and stacking them in full ports waiting for a lack of truckers to pull them out the gates, unload them and get the empty brought back in. Every carrier has deployed ever bit of space they have. You cant just keep building bigger ships the ports don't have the infrastructure to handle them. "

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We were struggling to get parts for a long time but it's much more stable now. Hopefully that's a good sign.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We've been getting emails from various suppliers saying the exact same thing, and prices are skyrocketing because of the backlog. For example:

- We ordered a new labeling finisher in June, it just arrived last week. Normally it's a 2 week delivery.
- We order fine art papers from Europe. We ordered rolls of cotton rag in July 2020. They arrived January 2021.
- Pallets of paper from Europe used to get charged at $500, now the same pallets are being shipped for $3500.
- August and September 2020 had paper prices of 26% per month to make up for shipping price increases. We ordered as much as we could afford at the time to avoid any further increases. I'm almost too scared to ask for the current price list.
- Some shipping companies have closed their bookings until 2022. There are no spare containers or ships left to handle the load.

Crazy!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We've been getting emails from various suppliers saying the exact same thing, and prices are skyrocketing because of the backlog. For example:

- We ordered a new labeling finisher in June, it just arrived last week. Normally it's a 2 week delivery.
- We order fine art papers from Europe. We ordered rolls of cotton rag in July 2020. They arrived January 2021.
- Pallets of paper from Europe used to get charged at $500, now the same pallets are being shipped for $3500.
- August and September 2020 had paper prices of 26% per month to make up for shipping price increases. We ordered as much as we could afford at the time to avoid any further increases. I'm almost too scared to ask for the current price list.
- Some shipping companies have closed their bookings until 2022. There are no spare containers or ships left to handle the load.

Crazy!
Holy $hit!

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
UPS just returned us 3 retractable banners that we shipped out in December of 2019. They said the addressee moved. They were shipped 3rd party billing, but I have no doubt UPS charged for the return delivery.

• Hilarious!
Reactions: 2B

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
We encountered our first supply chain issue last week, surprised it didn't happen before, but it seems as though our epoxy supplier is having a hard time getting the raw materials to make their product. Also have noticed shipping has gone up a lot on even the small stuff, things that use to cost us $15 to ship, now cost $20, I know that doesn't sound like much, but when you think of the increase it's crazy.

DPD

I just thought I would share some insight on shipping. I am in Houston and a good friend of mine is an Ocean Carrier employee. She gave me and my friends some insight on what is going on with the shipping supply chain. This is directly from HER, not me so I have zero opinion on the matter:

"More imported volume than ever recorded. Lack of space to carry the volumes no matter how big we keep building the ships, not enough man power or space at the terminals in the ports, not enough truckers to pull the containers off the ports to free up space. People in shipping have been quite overwhelmed since the pandemic started in China before it made it here and it only continues to worsen every day. .. Estimated recover day is now 1st quarter 2023. Every time we get to mid field, they move the goal post. The trucking shortage has always been an issue because no one wants to drive a truck anymore but you add to it that truckers that haul containers make less because they are paid by the load and are sitting in line at the ports 4,6,8 hours to turn in a box they may only turn 2 loads a day...When there is a lack of truckers and people have loads scheduled with a trucker but the ship is delayed three weeks because of congestion this one box loses its place in line and then has to get back in line to be pulled and maybe that's weeks from then. Multiply that by thousands of containers coming off of maybe 15-20 ships a week per port. This started with shut down factories in Asia due to Covid. So many workers infected they had to shut down entire plants. Led to empty shelves. Then once the plants come back online there still aren't enough workers so production is slow at best compiled by shortages of base materials to make finished products. Then a flood of buying which ramped up volumes. We have complete ports that the congestion is so bad we won't even call the port because it would keep the ship there too long. You only have so many slots on a 10,000 teu vessel and due to draft restrictions in ports and canals they weigh out long before you can reach full capacity. You get the ship in to a US port that again is short of workers working numerous ships at a time pulling the containers and stacking them in full ports waiting for a lack of truckers to pull them out the gates, unload them and get the empty brought back in. Every carrier has deployed ever bit of space they have. You cant just keep building bigger ships the ports don't have the infrastructure to handle them. "
Sounds like an opportunity for some enterprising people to open plants in the USA. After all, this doesn't sound like its going to resolve itself anytime soon.

unclebun

Sounds like an opportunity for some enterprising people to open plants in the USA. After all, this doesn't sound like its going to resolve itself anytime soon.
Hmm, yes, I seem to recall a certain government official saying we needed to start doing that a while back, but as I recall he was called racist and xenophobic and small-minded for saying that.

d fleming

Took 5 months to get panela sugar for my distillery out of S America. Between shipping and labor strike it put us at a standstill for a bit.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Hmm, yes, I seem to recall a certain government official saying we needed to start doing that a while back, but as I recall he was called racist and xenophobic and small-minded for saying that.
Really which one because they've all been saying that for years. Truth is, these same politicians, ahem.... Reagan..... set the stage for this, then Bush and Clinton both walked the same path. Not faulting anyone, this is what everyone wanted back then and still are doing. Totally short sighted but it worked out financially for the generation that pushed it. Remember what Perot said? That giant sucking sound and that was well after the sucking had already started.
All the headlines are about a lack of workers so enlighten me on where these factories would get all these workers? Ya know, the ones that actually show up and work not just collect a paycheck, report their employers for getting shorted 1 minute on their break, sue them when they get a paper cut etc etc. Good luck with all that.

JamesLam

Really which one because they've all been saying that for years. Truth is, these same politicians, ahem.... Reagan..... set the stage for this, then Bush and Clinton both walked the same path. Not faulting anyone, this is what everyone wanted back then and still are doing. Totally short sighted but it worked out financially for the generation that pushed it. Remember what Perot said? That giant sucking sound and that was well after the sucking had already started.
All the headlines are about a lack of workers so enlighten me on where these factories would get all these workers? Ya know, the ones that actually show up and work not just collect a paycheck, report their employers for getting shorted 1 minute on their break, sue them when they get a paper cut etc etc. Good luck with all that.
In many situations when a manufacturing plant closed in NA and Europe the state controlled companies out of China would swoop in and buy up the equipment for obscenely low prices. Of course the bank, liquidator and the auction house were happy to move this stuff as quickly as possible. OK, so now that we want to start manufacturing in the USA and Canada again, where are you going to get the equipment? Certainly our govs aren't going to swoop in and buy the stuff back.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, here's a bit of information, kinda related here, but not exactly.

I bought a new vacuum sweeper for the office area this morning. We've gone through 4 machines in about 15 years. They just breakdown...... and they weren't cheap ones. Anyway, the guy at the store I went to this time told me, just about every major vacuum manufactured is done by the chinese. However, not only do they make them, but they OWN them, too. They were all bought out in the last 15 or so years. The one I got is American made and of commercial quality. The chinese own just abut everything and is just waiting for us to collapse from within.

JamesLam

Well, here's a bit of information, kinda related here, but not exactly.

I bought a new vacuum sweeper for the office area this morning. We've gone through 4 machines in about 15 years. They just breakdown...... and they weren't cheap ones. Anyway, the guy at the store I went to this time told me, just about every major vacuum manufactured is done by the chinese. However, not only do they make them, but they OWN them, too. They were all bought out in the last 15 or so years. The one I got is American made and of commercial quality. The chinese own just abut everything and is just waiting for us to collapse from within.
Well, that sucks! Hahahahahahahaha. Oh come on, who didn't want to say that?

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Covid might have done us a favor in realizing how ripe for disruption the supply chain really was/is. Hopefully we are learning a bit from it and bolstering our ability to get what we need as a country.

At the end of the day though, fear mongering about supply chain collapse due to bad actors often ignores the idea that we trade goods and services for money. Sure, someone in china could cut off our supply of shoes, but then someone in Tanzania or Tucson will start making them, because there will be an economic incentive to do so. Might make them more expensive, but making absolutely everything here in the US would do that anyway...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Covid might have done us a favor in realizing how ripe for disruption the supply chain really was/is. Hopefully we are learning a bit from it and bolstering our ability to get what we need as a country.

At the end of the day though, fear mongering about supply chain collapse due to bad actors often ignores the idea that we trade goods and services for money. Sure, someone in china could cut off our supply of shoes, but then someone in Tanzania or Tucson will start making them, because there will be an economic incentive to do so. Might make them more expensive, but making absolutely everything here in the US would do that anyway...
You also have to stop all of the consolidations and start aggressively enforcing antitrust laws again. We point a lot of fingers in different directions but seem to ignore the fact that a few big players dominate damn near every industry now. That is likely a larger factor behind inflation now than anything else.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
There is an endless list of reasons why there is a supposed trucker shortage....

After 20 years over the road, seeing the Gubment implement new rules about when you can eat, where and when you can sleep, or even take a dump, still low pay and an endless list of what it takes to get and do the job, the stress, the inspections, high jackings, and on and on....

No intelligent human wants that kind of job...

Being gone a month at a time, told you can go home at Christmas, and it never happens?

Many think its good money, and it is, but sitting in front of a computer is easier and pays just as good.

Drivers like me, with millions of miles of accident free driving can't get the work because of our age.... sure some can, but most can't... This ain't the old dayz....

The Gubment runs your life, whether you think so or not or like it or not!

I quit because f the ELD!

Been in the Sign Business all my life, and it's still a great job... Took years to cater it to my likings.... but it's getting pretty tough too.