• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I charge more than $29 for this sidewalk sign?

HulkSmash

As already mentioned, need more details. (materials/size/hinge/minimums etc etc)

Either way, way too cheap.

Think of how much time is ACTUALLY involved in designing, producing, packing for shipping, invoicing for a $29 item???

Unless someone can do that whole process start to finish consistently at, say, 10 minutes a piece all night long then it's not even worth considering.

I get that you're trying to set the world on fire but I don't see this being the answer, not at that price point.

For that reason, I'm out.

Too much shark Tank Patrick :Big Laugh

HulkSmash

If he has one of these: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/commercial-printers/scitex-presses/10000.html

and one of these: http://www.esko.com/en/products/overview/kongsberg-xp-auto/overview/

Its feasible to say that labor times would be minimal. But the unlikeliness of them having nearly a million dollars worth of equipment and that much available production time is very unlikely.

the 10000 is 1.6 million.. the esko is like 180k.

he would need 1000 signs a day to pay for that.

peavey123

The price is awesome. You should probably sell them in 2's, or bundles of 5 and put coroplast wings on them for when they fly away in the wind. You can tell the customer at least it's good advertising having a flying sign. :covereyes:

TimToad

That's not an issue.
He's already paid for his equipment.
Not from selling stuff at this price though...

Overhead be damned......... I guess stuff like the electricity to run the "paid for" equipment, the rent on the building housing said equipment, labor to run the paid for equipment, etc.. are all covered by magic fairy dust, so why not?

I could see this in some low wage, hellhole, but San Diego? Its only one of the most expensive cities to live and operate a business in, etc. in the country.

Every guy with paid for equipment and too much time on his hands needs a hobby.

So, even if the idea took off and thousands of these pieces found their way into the marketplace, the best outcome this guy can expect is little or no profit, the immediate scorn of other signmakers and eventually a customer base wondering why they don't cost $19.99 per set.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:ROFLMAO:..... wow, has this guy hit some people's soft spot.

When someone writes a thread such as this one and sets in motion controversy over such fundamental thinking, why is it we all go for the jugular..... not on him, but each other ??

There are many variables for which this guy can and might even make a buck doing this, but I highly doubt we'll ever hear the truth, let alone agree with his theories. Therefore, why is everyone beating a dead horse ?? For crying out loud, it's Friday and we should all be talking about the fun things and how we're gonna spend the money we made this week, not b!tching about nonsense. However, I digress. So, back to your normal programming and keep internet fighting alive as someone recently said................... :toasting:

Christian @ 2CT Media

I think its possible and feasible with the right equipment as bulk filler work, but for you to have the right equipment your production schedule is typically maxed out... thus negating the benefit of filler work.

858Graphics

www.858graphics.com
Thank you for the great feedback everyone. I really appreciate it even the negative stuff. I'm really trying to understand the market and see if I can drive a lot of volume for this product. Otherwise it won't be worth it.

A couple notes:

The sign is a direct print made out of coroplast and die cut on an esko router. There is no extra hardware it folds together.

Labor is very minimal, there is one standard size shipping box and everything is web to print. So no pre-press or graphic design on our end.

I run a normal sign shop (15 people total) we have to compete against huge companies like vistaprint and uprinting. Our customers are constantly hammering us for cheaper products, this is one idea I've been exploring.

Shipping is not free (might be a typo on the site, we are still uploading templates and working it)

Prices are not set, it's an experiment. I have all the video templates and am planning to test different points at $29, $39, $49, $59.

TimToad

865graphics,

Aside the overtly obvious durability issues and general inside knowledge that the vast majority of "A" Frame purchasers want a personalized set of graphics for their A Frame signs, I'm not opposed to the idea outright. We're all entitled to try anything we can to keep the moolah rolling in.

I think you'll be surprised at how little interest in the real world there will be for a product that can't stand up to much outdoor abuse in the slightest without suffering fatal injuries to itself or someone else for that matter. All it will take is one or two local examples of them blowing away, or worse blowing away and hitting someone and causing an injury and you'll be cooked. There are towns all over America who have banned regular A Frames because of the risk to mobility impaired passersby and them making sidewalks harder to navigate.

Is your company ready to make sure you aren't putting a product out on the street that you could be even partially legally liable for?

I don't know if the storm from yesterday hit down there yet today, but up here, your A Frames would be miles away the way the wind blew yesterday here.

LeLuni

I love it... good idea, good marketing (particularly the videos). I like the 'poster' value-add described in the videos. I like how you've super-niched down to a single, basic and useful product. I'd eliminate any reference to outdoor signage, though (guy struggling outside in the video).

I have a feeling your customer acquisition cost will be fairly high (google adwords?). You should be charging $49 a piece with free shipping... I think that's entirely reasonable.

John

utmtech

If he has one of these: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/commercial-printers/scitex-presses/10000.html

and one of these: http://www.esko.com/en/products/overview/kongsberg-xp-auto/overview/

Its feasible to say that labor times would be minimal. But the unlikeliness of them having nearly a million dollars worth of equipment and that much available production time is very unlikely.

" # of Printheads: 312 (52 each cyan, magenta, yellow, black, light cyan, light magenta)"
FTFY

brycesteiner

Thank you for the great feedback everyone. I really appreciate it even the negative stuff. I'm really trying to understand the market and see if I can drive a lot of volume for this product. Otherwise it won't be worth it.

A couple notes:

The sign is a direct print made out of coroplast and die cut on an esko router. There is no extra hardware it folds together.

Labor is very minimal, there is one standard size shipping box and everything is web to print. So no pre-press or graphic design on our end.

I run a normal sign shop (15 people total) we have to compete against huge companies like vistaprint and uprinting. Our customers are constantly hammering us for cheaper products, this is one idea I've been exploring.

Shipping is not free (might be a typo on the site, we are still uploading templates and working it)

Prices are not set, it's an experiment. I have all the video templates and am planning to test different points at $29, $39, $49, $59.

How did you build the website? It's very nice and easy to navigate.

858Graphics

www.858graphics.com
Thank you for the kind words, the site was built in wordpress. I've been making signs for over 10+ years so I have lots of practise with photography and design layouts.

I put the animation together in adobe premier and paid a girl I found online to do the voice over. It's been a constant learning curve but with each project I try and make my work a little bit better.

I didn't spend tons of money on camera equipment or hire a huge team. I just spend a lot of timing reading forums like these :)

Just for laughs here is one of the first videos I ever made.
[video=youtube;-CZb_yUV5Es]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CZb_yUV5Es[/video]