• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Show quality

mudmedia

mud, i would like to extend and invite to come see my shop and say hi. same side of the coin, i would love to come see your op. you need anything, please dont hesitate to ask!

Hell I am ready for a beer every day after 6 M-F (Realistically after noon) fellow sign buddies are always invited!

tsgstl

If your unsure of it then don't do it.
If you have to ask one question on here then don't do it.
Sounds like a high maintenance customer.

Btw i'd probably do it and regret it

Jillbeans

Ok back to the topic.
Like Firesprint said, if you want to make a name for yourself doing something like this, go for it.
You'll more than likely have a steady stream of these types of jobs if word gets out that you're that good.
But like tsgstl says, sounds like a high maintenance customer who would nitpick to the nth degree. Breathing down your neck, looking over your shoulder, asking questions, b!tching about your prices.
I myself would rather not deal with that kind of crap.

jhd

I would step away as well - they simply drain the time out of a day.
I have had people stop in for decals or stripe kits for their cars and they want this and that.

I simply state that I'm a business to business shop and that the decals/wrap will never be as good as paint and then I recommend them to a local body shop. Remember this is probably their baby and nothing will ever be good enough.

There is money to be made on projects like this, but you could probably take care of 3 - 4 other projects in time that this one would take to complete.

Just my thoughts - hope this helps

slappy

Okay, maybe my mix of Chantix, no nicotine stress, PMS stress, no time to myself stress, inventory stress, prices increases and adjustment stress and having about 15 vehicles and i'm only one damn person stress, my sons birthday fast approaching and i'm not running out of time to plan anything stress, and guys making smart *** remarks all the time on the board stress have gotten the best of me yesterday.
Believe me, my storm didn’t start here. It actually started at 8:30am at the convenience store getting my coffee, then hit 3 other people before it landed here.

johnnysigns

I enjoy installing the Avery personally.

The 3M to me seems to require more hands to make it go on perfect. Any lift ups all left lines I could not remove from the film with heat afterward which sucks.

I've only dicked around w/ the Oracal w/ small pieces. I've used the 3951 and I'm not a fan of that aggressive initial tack their stuff seems to be built around. If their solid color films were less aggressive I'd try them, but I've been happy w/ the Avery and it's color selection so far. The VW and Audi nerds I mainly deal with have all been happy with it.

johnnysigns

Also if you're not an experienced wrap installer I wouldn't touch a color change this extensive. Not with jambs and crap like that to be dealing with. It's hard enough to cut one of these right on all the seams to make it look like paint let alone piece in all that additional coverage they want.

HulkSmash

Okay, maybe my mix of Chantix, no nicotine stress, PMS stress, no time to myself stress, inventory stress, prices increases and adjustment stress and having about 15 vehicles and i'm only one damn person stress, my sons birthday fast approaching and i'm not running out of time to plan anything stress, and guys making smart *** remarks all the time on the board stress have gotten the best of me yesterday.
Believe me, my storm didn’t start here. It actually started at 8:30am at the convenience store getting my coffee, then hit 3 other people before it landed here.

Sounds like a personal problem. The guy who made this thread asked for help, i suggest a material that would be easy for him to install with, and to not turn down the job, but charge more. You come on and say "LOOKS HARD" shows a video adding absolutely nothing to what he's asking. Yet i'm the one making smart *** remarks. Obviously you're lacking attention and wanted some. Sorry it didn't turn out how you probably hoped. Well... i guess negative is better then none.

sad.

trimitbyrich

I guarantee it will be more than 3 days. The removal of all the hardware, especially if you're doing inside door jambs will take 1 whole day to accomplish and that's just taking it apart. You'll have several parts that were removed that will need to be wrapped as well. Honestly unless you are charging at least $3500 for this I would run like hell. Those kind of clients will NEVER be satisfied. No profit is worth the hell you will endure.

visual800

When in the hell did "show quality" and wrap share the same sentence? A wrap is temp and should not even be thought of as having show quality...it shouldn't exist.

Atomic DNA

When in the hell did "show quality" and wrap share the same sentence? A wrap is temp and should not even be thought of as having show quality...it shouldn't exist.
My thoughts exactly. That's not saying that a wrap can't look good because some do. I think wraps have their place. "Show quality" is generally referred to custom paint.

ProWraps

yes, you will regret every minute of the job.

i wouldnt take it no matter how much it paid.

you are trying to do something that isnt meant to be done with a certain medium. its set up to fail from the start.

natedawg9640

If you are posting a thread like this about it, I'd steer clear. if you aren't already confidant enough about it, that I'm doubting you have the experience enough to make him happy the first time (no offense) and likely this will turn into a headache for you and you will lose money and time. I wouldn't do it cause i am likely in your same boat. I did a color change on my car. well actually i wrapped the entire thing in Di-noc... and i didn't even go inside jambs. If you do decide to go for it, price it so you can screw up each piece 3 times and still be good... cause for a show quality wrap... that is likely to happen. maybe tell him it will be that cost but if it goes smooth, then it'll be less. "show quality" to me means something that will be scrutinized at close distance, not something you see rolling down the road.

pro-wraps. i dont agree with your last statement. look at the superexotic market. most of the crazy looking stuff out there is wrapped cause you cant paint a lease, or noone wants to shell the cash or commitment for a paintjob.

oh and you people who say that a wrap CANT be show quality are just being lazy.

Attachments

• IMG2788-XL.jpg
    IMG2788-XL.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 82
  • McLaren-MP4-12C-and-Lamborghini-Aventador-by-Protective-Film-Solutions.jpg
    McLaren-MP4-12C-and-Lamborghini-Aventador-by-Protective-Film-Solutions.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 84
  • TAM-wrap-728x484.jpg
    TAM-wrap-728x484.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 71
  • aHR0cDovL3d3dy54b3V0cG9zdC5jb20vYXR0YWNobWVudHMvb3RoZXItYm13cy8zNDU0MWQxMjQ2NDI1MTUzLW1hdHRlLWJs.jpg
    aHR0cDovL3d3dy54b3V0cG9zdC5jb20vYXR0YWNobWVudHMvb3RoZXItYm13cy8zNDU0MWQxMjQ2NDI1MTUzLW1hdHRlLWJs.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 83

ProWraps

pro-wraps. i dont agree with your last statement. look at the superexotic market. most of the crazy looking stuff out there is wrapped cause you cant paint a lease, or noone wants to shell the cash or commitment for a paintjob.

oh and you people who say that a wrap CANT be show quality are just being lazy.

yeah we are all lazy. i was lazy when i worked 12 hours today on a saturday. you got me, we are lazy.

nice cars you posted.

sadly none of them show the door jambs etc.

my yardstick comes from owning a highly profitable and successful wrap company. this yardstick measures time vs. profitability and your post makes no sense.

you are telling the guy not to do it, yet you are call us real wrap shops lazy.

pick your battle buddy. i can guarantee i know more about my craft, and work 10x harder at it than you will ever imagine or achieve.

WrapZone

I have done a lot of high end cars including 2 cars participating in the gumball rally, some have asked to have the door jambs done bu I just refuse an when I explain why they always accept it. If I were to do itI would charge as much for the jambs as for the rest of the car but I feel that I can't live up to what the client expects to get when they ask for it so I just say no.

natedawg9640

yeah we are all lazy. i was lazy when i worked 12 hours today on a saturday. you got me, we are lazy.

nice cars you posted.

sadly none of them show the door jambs etc.

my yardstick comes from owning a highly profitable and successful wrap company. this yardstick measures time vs. profitability and your post makes no sense.

you are telling the guy not to do it, yet you are call us real wrap shops lazy.

pick your battle buddy. i can guarantee i know more about my craft, and work 10x harder at it than you will ever imagine or achieve.

I don't doubt that kudos to you. well, I wouldn't limit someone else potential, but I don't doubt your proficiency. The problem I had is when you say it can't be done. It can be and does get done. My whole comment to OP is that if he is posting the question here in the first place... then he obviously isn't ready to tackle the project. That's it.

oh and personally, if I had to do a job like this and door jambs were a necessity, I'd look into plastidip for those areas.

Attachments

• 246642517063145565_Q6KUmfJb_b.jpg
    246642517063145565_Q6KUmfJb_b.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 70