• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Install...

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm a bit stumped on this one. Some of you may remember 2 years ago when I made these sign boards. I cut them and dropped them off and the contractor who was doing work there installed them. Well, they recently closed the doors due to no help and the new person who is leasing came in for a new sign.

They put the brick over the top of the sign? I was thinking it might be easiest to just print vinyl and place over the top of this? It's like 32-45 degrees Fahrenheit this week and not getting any warmer. Do I make a little tent with a heater and apply vinyl over the top? Thanks for any help, since they are leasing, there is not an option of removing the brick, I have to work with what is here.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 703

2B

there are plenty of vinyl projects that are installed in MUCH COLDER temps.
vinyl can tear easier when it is cold, so be gentle and take your time

how exact are they expecting the contouring to be to the added stone?
are you planning on printing the new face the same color as the current background?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think I know where he's going. Are you removing all that vinyl and putting new in it's place ?? Not changing the background color ?? Temperature is a little cold, but ya don't need to go to all that trouble, like he said. I'd have a heater going, but only to keep your fingers somewhat nimble and keep the dexterity in them.

Stacey K

I like making signs
there are plenty of vinyl projects that are installed in MUCH COLDER temps.
vinyl can tear easier when it is cold, so be gentle and take your time

how exact are they expecting the contouring to be to the added stone?
are you planning on printing the new face the same color as the current background?
They created their own logo, of course, and they had it on a darker gray background. I'm suggesting we keep the same exact color background and I'll cut it like this...right? I could print the sheet larger and hand cut around all the bricks but if I can use the same color background, I think this will be OK? Do you agree? - Yes, I will kern their letters better, working on talking them into a different font or logo also. But I only have until Saturday when they open.
1669659955411.png

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think I know where he's going. Are you removing all that vinyl and putting new in it's place ?? Not changing the background color ?? Temperature is a little cold, but ya don't need to go to all that trouble, like he said. I'd have a heater going, but only to keep your fingers somewhat nimble and keep the dexterity in them.
I just posted as you posted, yes, I think he was thinking what I posted...

I can bring a heater for my hands, then I could go over it with my heat gun after also.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
They created their own logo, of course, and they had it on a darker gray background. I'm suggesting we keep the same exact color background and I'll cut it like this...right? I could print the sheet larger and hand cut around all the bricks but if I can use the same color background, I think this will be OK? Do you agree? - Yes, I will kern their letters better, working on talking them into a different font or logo also. But I only have until Saturday when they open.
View attachment 162762
I think this is a good solution. I would prefer to mount a new panel like this than to deal with removing/applying vinyl in the cold.

brdesign

I just posted as you posted, yes, I think he was thinking what I posted...

I can bring a heater for my hands, then I could go over it with my heat gun after also.
If you are going to print just an insert to cover the center part I would add a decorative border to the new insert, or make it a completely different color so that the original background becomes a border. That way it would look like an intentional design choice rather than a patch job.

For the cold install use a heatgun or torch to heat the panel a little, and be careful pulling off the transfer tape.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Stacy, I used to do window graphics for Element Mobile stores when they were still around, they changed them every holiday for different sales. I'd be out all over central Wisco in -20 temps hanging perf. It'll stick in our current temps, but might be a little stiff. I used to use a salamander heater, just point it at it from 6-8 feet away, it'll keep everything warm, including you. In these temps you should be able to get by with a heat gun to set it once it's laid. At least you don't have to worry about overheating and shattering glass :oops:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'd use a color change grey for the background and use die-cut for all the rest.

Yes..... and P L E A S E get them to make something legible. People do not read script very well, let alone in circles.o_O
I would get rid of the circle. Move the star thing in the middle to the left, and straighten out the lettering and stack it on the right.

Edit, or... arc the name above the circle thing, and put Mexican restaurant below
1669666958291.png

Last edited:

ikarasu

There are vinyls made for cold installs.

Drytac polar is one that's bubble free and rated for -4f installs. Always good to have a roll on for winter.. and it's a nice high tac air free vinyl, so it's good in the summer when you're putting it on plastics / rubbers.

2B

View attachment 162762

HORRIBLE LOGO AND LAYOUT
definitely need to change and up-sell to a decent layout

Yes, this is what I was getting at, use the same background color so you do NOT have to hand cut to the brick contour layout

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would get rid of the circle. Move the star thing in the middle to the left, and straighten out the lettering and stack it on the right.

Edit, or... arc the name above the circle thing, and put Mexican restaurant below
View attachment 162764
Oh boy! We must think alike...I told them I'm sending some new versions over because it's hard to read the name and this is pretty much exactly what I had LOL

Scotchbrite

No comment
I've found that a majority of the time people will choose the "improved" layout that reads a lot better and still incorporates the original design elements. Their original logo is probably fine for the cover of a menu, but not a sign.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've found that a majority of the time people will choose the "improved" layout that reads a lot better and still incorporates the original design elements. Their original logo is probably fine for the cover of a menu, but not a sign.
Yup. Always give them the option.. that way they can't come back and complain the sign is unreadable I'd they choose to stay with original

unclebun

I'd consider making a new sign to just attach over the old, leaving an inch and a half or two inches of the cream color as a border. The new sign would have a different color background. Then you can just show up with the new sign, screw it on, rivet it on, VHB tape it on, whichever you please, and leave.