• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs 101 Meet

What format would you like to see for signs 101 meet?

• Very informal-Just a general BS session away from all signs

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • ]Semi Informal- Maybe at someones shop with collaborative projects

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • Somewhat Formal-Definetly at a shop with structured training and possibly product demos

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Formal-we could rent a classroom at a local high school and all go to detention afterwards

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MVIP

Through another thread some members expressed interest in getting together. The date would be late summer. Now lets decide on a format.

Merchant members please contact me if you would at all be interested in product demos or sending products to be demonstrated or possibly sold.

-Matt

Replicator

Matt your regional meets are a great idea, I'd like to set one up out here in the

Pacific Northwest as well . . . As far as the formalities, I feel that the shows like

ISA, SGIA, etc give us enough training, education and product demos,

Therefore, that is why I voted Very Informal / General BS, It justs gives folks a chance to meet

and greet and if they want to discuss sign stuff great, but if they don't they won't

feel pressured to do so !

Great idea . . . Keep 'em coming !

cartoad

Great idea, voted for some product demos, as always good to get some new ideas from the vendors, but sure don't want the whole day on products.
Some place neutral like .... Vantage, lol,
Hal

OldPaint

you could also get a few who wish to learn a bit about brushwork.......invite a few of the"old school people" to give some infomal instruction.....to those who have an interest.

Richard Flint

you could also get a few who wish to learn a bit about brushwork.......invite a few of the"old school people" to give some infomal instruction.....to those who have an interest.

We all know that vinyl rules the industry.....but that's a good idea!

Checkers

vinyl rules the industry
Hahaha, vinyl may be the most prevalent, but it doesn't rule :)

Anyway, I would like to see more informal gathering, but it comes down to what will I get in return for my investment of time and/or money. Call me selfish, but what's in it for me? I won't attend an event where there's no purpose or goal.

Is it going to be a morning, afternoon, full day event or a all weekend?

How much is it going to cost - free, $20, $50?

Do we want to get back to basics, like material selection and basic vinyl installation techniques? Or, do we want to address more advanced issues, like pricing and/or wrap installations. Maybe we want to do something totally different, like screen printing and embroidery?

The next thing is how do we plan to support these "classes"? Will we need supplies and/or equipment?

From the responses to the original post, I would estimate that maybe 10 to 20 people will attend if we limit it to just signs101 participants. If we open it to all shops and invite others, that number can get much larger.

So, I suggest that we pick a date, time and location and outline some of what you expect to achieve and go for it. From there we can set a budget, perhaps line up some sponsors/vendors and get to the bottom line.

Maybe Jill will chime in and share some of her experience with running a meet and tell us what we need to do - Jill are you listening?

Checkers

Jillbeans

I've already PMd Matt.
I would suggest a one-day gathering an a central locale (as we all know, PA is a BIG state)
I think that everyone who plans to attend should formally register, so the host knows how many weenies and burgers to purchase. I think the meet should be free, but a hat passed to help buy the meat and bottled water/pop/paper products. It should be BYOB if folks want a few frosty beverages. People might need to bring their own lawn chairs as well.
Also, everyone attending could bring a bag of chips, a dessert, or a covered dish.
The host could supply the meat and the grill.
Ideally, at a meet, there should be assigned cooks/cleanup people so that everyone can enjoy the gathering, including the host.
Most of my meets I spent cooking or organizing things, but I did that because I wanted everyone to be well-fed and enjoying themselves.
If merchants want to donate door prize items, that is always great.
I don't really foresee anyone having a panel jam, but I could bring some panels. Ronan is a good paint contact, but again, maybe nobody is interested in this.
A vinyl lesson might not go so well outdoors if it is too hot or buggy or rainy...so I think informal BS and fellowship would be great.
And Checkers, I think that would make it "worth it".
:)
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

yes it would be great to have more meets like... signs 101 meets.. then just letterhead meets or ISA or USSC rarely do I get to go cause of cost n transportion at the time so another way to meet super .........at present I'm sitting on about 5 acres of blank land ... if there was way to host here a meet I'm game....... anyway where ever there is sign industry ppl meeting it's great fun and a learning experance for all etc. etc.
thank you n enjoy life

DRPSignsNGrafix

I agree with jill and depending on where it is, i'd even drive down to PA if it was on a weekend. I might even be down in PA on the weekend of the 21st and thought about looking up a few shops in that area and stopping in. I'll be in Carlise (spelling)

Checkers

Well, I'm (south) centrally located and would be willing to volunteer my place and a few weekends to help organize such an event. I've hosted a small "social" in the past, but my home/shop is not really equipped to do much more than that.
The one good thing about my location and area is that there is a lot for non-signmakers to do. So, if you want to bring your spouse or significant other(s) that have no interest in signs, there's plenty to keep them occupied. They can head downtown and tour our state capital, head out to Hershey Park, go shopping, or even catch a movie right around the corner.

Checkers

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I’m for informal. Even if it is at someone’s shop, some small ‘hands on’ things can be going on so others can see what ‘Back to the Basics’ really means. I think having some vendors there would be nice…. they always bring lots of ‘Freebies’. I like ‘Freebies’.
Rather than passing the hat, I believe the money should be collected ahead of time for those that don’t show up at the last minute. There’s a reason everyone else does that. Also, as much as I hate to say this…. I don’t think we should have any alcohol, whatsoever… on the premises wherever it is… for safety and legal reasons. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for someone I just met and have to read about it the following Monday here at :signs101:. Even I can go a day without the stuff.

Ha Checkers…. sending some wives and kids to Hershey Park would be a whole week’s pay for some. It’s a great place, but expensive.

Sounding better and better. I still vote for a Saturday.

Holeshotrob

Matt your regional meets are a great idea, I'd like to set one up out here in the Pacific Northwest as well...

Rep... I'm in!

Some place neutral like .... Vantage, lol,
Hal

Hal, that's a good one! Are there any covered buildings in Vantage besides barns? lol.

3dsignco

I have been debating on a meet here in the Middle Coast. (Well we do have a river). My place would be open for that. Late summer early fall with around 20,000 sqft of space.
If we put one on here it would be a open for all with a little more emphasis on Techno side. Including 3d Carving and Routing, all aspects of Vinyl, Hand Lettering (If someone will come do that as I don't hand letter) and my favorite/specialty Mold making and resin.