• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solar Powered Sign Shop - One year later

SqueeGee

That's not a bad deal but remember that you'll still need to pay for shipping, install, racking and the other things not included in the kit. You'll need to spend well over $20k more. Check out sunelec.com. They have some really good package deals also.

dgtlrob

38K delivered to your door -- all included (2K left for install-- In the South it wouldn't be a problem but in the north the land of organized labor "unions" it could be quite a bit more..) and this system is only 10kw (30%lees output)

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-12KW-VISB-CO...197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5ce396e5

(With a little work I think I could get a full system like above for 38K for 12KW still a little under yours in maxim output but getting very close)

I think in the next two years we will be able to produce a 500w panel -- a game changer and will significantly bring down the cost per watt and raising the efficiencies probably in the 98% at that time... Exciting stuff to come in the very near future!

Kemble

That's Awesome !! Glad to see things are going well for your project.

Are you able to stand on them? Do you have to clear them of debris often (leaves, bird crap, snow)? Just as windows get dirty, do you have to get up there and windex them to free them from natural water spots/dirt?

SqueeGee

Are you able to stand on them? Do you have to clear them of debris often (leaves, bird crap, snow)? Just as windows get dirty, do you have to get up there and windex them to free them from natural water spots/dirt?

You probably could stand on them. I'd probably lay down some plywood first just to be safe.

Fortunately, we don't have any large trees close by so leave are not an issue. I haven't trekked up there when we've had snow. My sense is that there's not much I can do to about that one.

I'll check them out in the next couple of weeks to see how dirty they're looking but yeah, they should probably wiped down periodically to get maximum output.

CES020

dgtlrob

Nope, I just prefer not to buy $38,000 worth of stuff from "hot4u69" on ebay :tongue:

Great -- more stuff for me ..
You mean you have never bought a car trough Ebay Motors (I have bought several - classic as well as current models). I buy all my current model cars 1 year old with low millage -- I don't know of any better way to get an amazing deal for the exact car color/features I want way below market price.

Jon Aston

Seems like a terrific opportunity to get some ink in the local newspaper, and/or get featured on the 6 O'clock news... and/or get a little coverage by local "Green" bloggers. Just sayin'.

SqueeGee

Squeegee what are the results now?

Was it wort while?

What has the saving been electrically?

Everything is still working well. The market price for SREC's plummeted in Pennsylvania(we're in VA can sell in PA) due to oversupply and we were a month too late to stay registered in the DC market before they kicked out "out of staters" so that has impacted our ROI.

Power generation has remained steady. Spring and fall are near 100% solar powered. Summer is 90ish %. Winter is about 50%.

For 8,000 sf of conditioned space, our electricity cost for 2013 was $3,025 which averages out to about $250/month.

The local ABC, CBS and FOX stations did a story on our project which really helped raise our profile in the community which has translated to more sales.

Mosh

Just joking, I am rich! LOL

I think that solar power is a pretty cool thing, I am just waiting for the start-up to come down. I am seriously betting in 10 years the price will half, then I might be in.

omgsideburns

Killer! I thought about getting solar for my home, may have to start thinking about it again since I've finally heard a success story from someone that exists.

rjssigns

Just had a guy do a "solar survey" and map out a system for our home. 2500 watt grid tie would be about $4500(after incentives) and supply about 60%. I'm thinking maybe next year and maybe do a 5-6Kw system to power everything.
BIL's friend claims he can get us off grid for $7000. He is a licensed master electrician so he may have a decent program. Have to wait and see.