• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Something I wanted to share. Dan Antonelli and ProWraps project.

Dan Antonelli

I appreciate that Dan, and I'm not trying to start a political argument on this thread, nor do I think you are either. And my family also has a long history of military service all the way back before world war two. My background and education is specifically in marketing as well and I can say, from my perspective- which may or may not be not be worth a lick, is that using patriotism as a marketing tool works for a certain demographic, but not necessarily the widest range that you could reach with other strategies. That is not why I don't like it however, it's just that strategy always quickly turns me off of companies that use it. As does using fear or keeping up with the Jones' as selling tools. They all may work with the general public, but I see advertising in the way that most people don't. But the post was about the design, and so again; great design. But look who I'm telling that to.

Great feedback, and thanks for sharing that perspective! The client definitely wanted to veer away from their old logo (viewable on their site), and didn't want to appear to be 'wrapped in the flag' so to speak as their prior brand was. We researched a lot of some of the branding from the 50s, as the creative brief and client direction dictated a retro theme. The name was already there, so it's hard to not have some type of Americana theme with a name 'All American'. The tagline was my idea, because I thought it tied to the graphic, and also played tribute to their service. They really do not make it a point to talk about their service on their current site, but it will be something we will discuss as we are redesigning as well rewriting their current site, and thus your feedback is great to hear.

My new book talks a lot about brand promise, and what a small business can do with their brand to evoke either a negative, neutral or positive brand promise. Most small business have either a neutral or negative brand promise. I think the presentation of the brand here still evokes a positive brand promise, but I understand that it may be interpreted in different ways depending on your vantage point. As advertising professionals, we are inclined to view all advertising from a different perspective. For these particular demographics, I exclude myself generally, and try to frame a client like this in the context of answering this basic question 'What would Mrs. Smith, aged 40-65, perceive the brand promise to be of this company, if she knew nothing else about them other than either seeing their truck, or being handed their business card.'

With the prevalence of such bad small business brands, most people have such low expectations of a perceived deliverable, that anything even remotely professional will generally be much better than most.

Thanks again for your insight!

Dan Antonelli

Looks nice. Neat and clean. I don't get the waving flag comments. I don't see any ??

Also, can I ask a personal question ?? Why would you design a patriotic design and use red stars ?? Couldn't you figure a way to make them white, light blue or anything, just not red, somehow ??​

Gino-

I'm pretty sure on a white background the star is blue. I'll have to check. It could have gone process blue here I suppose - I didn't specifically consider a red star to be unpatriotic, but point taken!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Originally...... there was no point, but I guess there is one afterall.

Perhaps you are too young, as many of the members of this site, but a red star instantly makes most people think of the Soviet Union and communism. It's kinda negative in most eyes and at least for me, does not do anything for color combinations when using a red star. I'm sure most people want to forgot about that kinda subliminal messaging, but it still hits home when seen, especailly in this kinda theme.

As for not knowing what color it is or it's intended coloring, how'd that happen ?? You're the designer......... :rolleyes:

Besides the stars in the paint band are also a dark red or maroon, so either somebody changed things around on ya, or the Outer Limits is setting in at an early age. :wink:

Dan Antonelli

Originally...... there was no point, but I guess there is one afterall.

Perhaps you are too young, as many of the members of this site, but a red star instantly makes most people think of the Soviet Union and communism. It's kinda negative in most eyes and at least for me, does not do anything for color combinations when using a red star. I'm sure most people want to forgot about that kinda subliminal messaging, but it still hits home when seen, especailly in this kinda theme.

As for not knowing what color it is or it's intended coloring, how'd that happen ?? You're the designer......... :rolleyes:

Besides the stars in the paint band are also a dark red or maroon, so either somebody changed things around on ya, or the Outer Limits is setting in at an early age. :wink:

I wasn't sure when on a white background, what color the star is. I didn't have the file accessible here, and besides me, there's 4 other designers involved in the project, so I wasn't certain. I checked and on a white background, it is also a red star. I don't agree that most people think Soviet Union immediately when seeing a red star in this context, but I see your point. The stars in the red stripe are blue.

Joe Diaz

You know I think I'm going to start using red stars in more of my designs now. Not so much to show support for Mother Russia but as a declaration of it's independence amongst the other hues of stars.... To win back the color red's freedom from one nation.... To show the masses that it's not the color of the star that matters but the character of that star. :smile:

omgsideburns

Looks great!!

I'm curious what the other side looks (how it was executed) because of the apparent asymmetry of some of the elements. More pics please!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't sure when on a white background, what color the star is. I didn't have the file accessible here, and besides me, there's 4 other designers involved in the project, so I wasn't certain. I checked and on a white background, it is also a red star. I don't agree that most people think Soviet Union immediately when seeing a red star in this context, but I see your point. The stars in the red stripe are blue.

Again Dan, I was not making fun or demeaning your work. It's an observation of which many still believe or think about when seeing such things. This, I think is truly a consideration of an agreement to disagree. It's not a debate or ridicule of your/or your employees creativity.

I would venture to say most people 50 or older will see the resemblance..... and of those, not all will say it's bad, but will still see the Communist red star without any hitches.

All's good and copacetic. As I said earlier, just a question on my part, cause that's what I still see. :peace!: