• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 300v - bad contour cuts

njsigns

Hey folks,

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

bad_contour_cut1.jpg

bad_contour_cut2.jpg

My Roland has pretty much worked like this right out of the box. I have consistent bad aligning contour cuts. The first job I ran through my machine was a huge order of Convex material, all laminated then reloaded and contour cut. After much frustration I tried waiting until the heaters were cool to the touch and it seemed to help a little bit, but I still ended up cutting 50% of those decals by hand. All in all I ended up wasting more material than I sold.

I've done environmental matches, print cut alignment, huge bleed areas and nothing is helping. I use CorelDraw X3 for design, and zoom in to "max zoom" to make sure the contour cut line is spot on in placement for an accurate cut.

I mainly use Oracal 3551 and matching Oracal lam, nothing tricky about that...

I need to get this problem fixed, does anyone have a suggestion as to why my cutlines are so far off? I'm approaching what already proves to be my busiest season to date and these results are unacceptable. I'm tired of losing money and praying to the Digital Gods that things will work out ok, because evidentally, they aren't listening...

Thanks guys!
Gene

Left Coast

hey gene,

mind if i have a look at that corel file on my comp... to me im thinking the design may be the prob... but would need to see the fiel to be sure of my hunch. I run a 540V and never have those kind of probs. lemme know, may be able to help, may not...

cheers

woolly

there are two different adjustments for the cut alignment.
1/ print then cut is the one thats adjusted in the normal menu.
2/ cut to registration marks is in the service menu.

a quick but not sure fire way is to use the auto setup best to print the scale from the menu and set the distance manually.

when cutting pressure gets above 150 the material can distort whilst being cut, so use all the pinch rollers.

woolly

njsigns

there are two different adjustments for the cut alignment.
1/ print then cut is the one thats adjusted in the normal menu.
2/ cut to registration marks is in the service menu.

a quick but not sure fire way is to use the auto setup best to print the scale from the menu and set the distance manually.

when cutting pressure gets above 150 the material can distort whilst being cut, so use all the pinch rollers.

woolly

When I print and cut all without unloading the media things seem ok. Once I unload and laminate, reload and contour cut, is when I have the problems. Since nothing leaves my shop unlaminated - I've never had "perfect" results.

This machine only has 2 pinch rollers... Could I possibly add more somehow?

Gene

woolly

with a clean waist bit of vinyl print with reg marks a 1 in sq the auto align to marks and cut the box.

it should cut down the edge of the print else calibrate the cut to reg marks.

woolly

Sign Works

By looking at those pics I'd have to agree with Rage, looks like your'e cut path in your file is whacked. My print/lam/cut process on my Versacamm is dead on every time.

WOODBS

i have the same problem with my 30"...it sucks, don't know the remedy yet?? still doing some hand trimming as well

woolly

i have the same problem with my 30"...it sucks, don't know the remedy yet?? still doing some hand trimming as well

the roland system is one of the best, if you cant do the adjustments then have a engineer do it. don't say it sucks fix it.

read my earlier post about 2 adjustments

sorry if a bit short its late here

woolly

WOODBS

not early here, but the techs were out a month ago and no fixy..so sorry for the offense, but it does suck

pindesign

Are you using Corel as well?? If so then mabe we can suspect something in the software to hardware flow?

I have never had a dodgy cut on print/lam/cut - once i needed to perform a manual calibration with one media combination we had, otherwise it usually just works great!

(Illustrator / Versaworks / All types of media / cold press sandtex lam / cold press gloss )

woolly

gentlemen, print and cut is not new i have been doing it for 12 years
the last 5 years with a sc540ex, to test the full system from design to finish.

in your favorite drawing package create a 1 inch square with the outline as a cutpath fill black. this rules out a poorly placed cut path
send to your rip
with all media feed compensation adjustments set to 0 both in the rip and machine.
rip then print and cut, the cut should be down the edge of the black square,
else the print to cut is out of calibration.
adjust with the print to cut adjustment. in the user menu

now print only with the machines realignment marks. reset up the machine, then do a auto alignment to the marks.
send the cut it should also cut down the sides of the black box, else the cut to registration marks is out of alignment.
this adjustment used to be in the service mode menu some new models its in the user menu.

if this test works fine but large areas are misplaced then its probably media movement blunt knife or excessive pressure causing the media to buckle slightly resulting in a out of position cut.

with out doing a test similar to this you will never know whats causing you problem.
with respect to you all

woolly