• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300 or VP300

taco

Hello ALL,

I wanted the sp300 but have heard of issues with the heads going bad really quick and they have fixed that issue, however I am just getting into this and thought about just paying the extra and getting the VP300 instead so I will have the new improved plotter....anyone have any do's or don't on either of these??? anything from people that already have the sp300 issues or any insight would be so grateful... thank you for your time.....

:Coffee:

TaCo

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless you absolutely don’t have the room for it… consider the 540 instead. If cost is an issue, it will more than pay for itself within a few months. Every printer/cutter combo we ever purchased….. more than paid itself off within 6 months.

taco

Hello Gino,
It is both really..... and just really getting into it I just cannot see myself getting that much cash right now since I am still in the begining.... but I had thought about that as well....thank you for your comments...

TaCo

Goofball

I have a SP300V.....Love it...Roland is great..never had any problems with it except 1 head strike on some banner material and my pump went out like many others but everything was covered under warranty. Looking at getting the 540.....much more demand for larger stuff. Hope this helps.

Bob

njsigns

I just had to make this decision not too long ago. I am pressed for space so the 540 wasn't even an option, besides, I've been paneling vinyl so why not panel prints?

I ultimately decided to go with the SP over the VP simply for support reasons alone. Roland and their users have figured out all the quirks about the SP and have pretty definitive solutions to the problems you'll encounter. I spoke with the tech that set up my machine and asked if I should have went with the VP - his answer was a resounding NO. He did tell me about some "oddities" about the VP, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were.

The VP seems to have some more useful options over the SP, but I don't regret my decision to go with the SP at all.

My .02...

Gene

high impact

IMO - vp hasn't been out long enough to verify the price difference - yet. We currently have an sp300v but are upgrading to the 540 with-in the next month. No issues with the sp and we've had it for 1 1/2 years.

Color Dude

As many others in this thread,

I to have a SP-300 and have had it for a while with no problems. All of the bugs have been worked out of these machines. If it is possible try attending a Roland certification class so you can learn how to work on them yourself. Will save you alot of time and money in the long run. Just in case something does go wrong like a printhead. You can change it yourself and save a few bucks.

That is not likely to happen, unless you just abuse the machine and dont take care of it. Those machines are pretty solid.

Good Luck

Mason

The only difference between the two machines aside from some cosmetic changes, is print speed. The question is, do you do a high volume of printing which requires a turn around that would warrant paying the extra bucks for being able to print a few feet per minute faster? other wise be even smarter and buy the SP 540V and pay the same amount and get a lot more out of it.

Color Dude

It honestly is not that much faster with the 2 extra heads. I have seen them run and participated on time test with the machines, they are not that much faster.

mediaman

player,

40-50% faster.

Also, the VP uses the XC-540 print technology, which has a different, improved ink delivery system. The VP carries a 2-year warranty as opposed to the 1-year warranty of the SP series.

AllSquare Jason

Differences:

The VP is a faster machine. Twice the print heads. Also twice the warranty (2 year parts/labor).

The printer has new improved spindles (can be ordered now from Roland for those that want them). The onboard cutter is now belt driven vs. cable driven. Added pinch rollers - and a cool new interface.

In my opinion a shop looking for a 30" printer/cutter is not going to need the speed or volume as other sign shops. Go with the SP300 for the price alone. They can both do the same thing.

However, the VP540 is a pretty awesome machine. We've got our demo set up and its considerably faster than the previous SP540V. Plus once you add an additional years warranty to the 540V you are very close to the price of the VP.........I would go VP if you are looking to print 54" and think you may encounter volume - and if you KNOW you are going to need speed then you can get right to it with the Pro III.

All of them are excellent machines in my opinion.

alanzhao

I also want to know if both machines can handle high volume cutting jobs, not just contour cuts but lots of detail cutting. I am planning to sell my 54" Camm1 Pro and buy either SP and VP that handles all jobs (cutting and printing) together.

bmods racing

i just bought a vp300 and i am new to the sticker stuff. i have tried to print on clear vinyl and the print is also clear and can see through it. is there a problem or is this the way it is?

thesignshop.ws

Anytime you print on Clear you will be able to see thru it. Roland did have a machine that had a (white ink) so you could print on clear and the colored inks be opaque. As far as I know you cant do anything about it. We print some things on clear but then they are put on substrates like aluminum for example to give it an effect. But just to print on clear and put on a window or something it wont work. Not sure if you got this little book but here is the link for the pdf. that tells you some tricks.

http://rolanddga.com/color/resources/pdf/Roland_Mystery_Book.pdf

Also, we bought the sp-300 a couple of years ago to get into the printing side figured we didnt need the 54". After about 2 months we were regretting it. Just purchased the vp-540 and been putting it to work too. Both machines sem to be great. No problems yet.

LightHouse

i hate having to hear how much i would need a 540 becasue while i would love a 540... i have zero space for the extra size. sucks, but those that have 300's do they really limit you or do you just have to panel alot of things?

mediaman

Banner production is where you will feel the limitation of 30". Vehicle wraps - add one seam or lay it out horizontally, with a horizontal seam (if molding or body lines allow). If banners will be a significant part of your output, go 54"