• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stained Glass look with vinyl?

landmarkvs

I have a client who is looking to make an existing glass window in his restaurant look like a stained glass window... Vibrant Color AND still allows light in. My initial thought was to simply get a high resolution image of stained glass off shutterstock and print it on clear vinyl... But I think that it will look "washed out" and not really vibrant like a real stained glass window. I could also print on some standard vinyl to get the "full" color, but it wouldn't allow light in. He is not interested in window perf.. Not in the restaurant...

Now, I've already explained to him that replicating that beautiful stained glass look perfectly is not possible, BUT I think we can get close. Anyone ever done a project like this with success? Any product recommendations? Thanks!

scrip

attachment.php

double print on Oracal 3620 transparent mat
applied on a textured glass (from a stained glass supplies store)

Attachments

• 2014-07-05 14.22.27.jpg
    2014-07-05 14.22.27.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 372

Billct2

I've did it for backlit panels. First I did an electric sign face with a stained glass look (see pic). Then I reproduced a bar back panel that was real stained glass (don't have a pic of that). But they were backlit, so it's a different look. To get a stained glass look on regular window I would try transparent vinyl (not translucent). I used duranodic vinyl for the "leading".

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 204

rjssigns

We've printed(1440x1440) on textured window film with great results. IIRC it was a Llumar film.

Printed film was installed on a separate sheet of glass to be installed over the existing window. Existing window had light frost window film applied to diffuse the light.

Looked very nice when finished.

Sorry no pics as we were a sub on the job.

We've printed(1440x1440) on textured window film with great results. IIRC it was a Llumar film.

Printed film was installed on a separate sheet of glass to be installed over the existing window. Existing window had light frost window film applied to diffuse the light.

Looked very nice when finished.

Sorry no pics as we were a sub on the job.

What type of Printer? UV?

nice, and the ink took good? not familiar with LLumar as much IIRC is that a white frost? I'm have worked with the NRM PS2......Ive been wanting to print on a white frost but not sure it would take eco-sol ink

landmarkvs

Some great suggestions guys ... I like the idea of backing the transparent printed vinyl with a textured film. The main objective is to allow the natural light to enrich the colors and appear like authentic stained glass.

Scrip is that texture affect from the vinyl you used or the photo used to print from??

scrip

Scrip is that texture affect from the vinyl you used or the photo used to print from?? [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

The print was applied on a glass with a texture.
This is a kind of glass you can get from a stained glass shop.
thanks