• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting a print business

bthcc

Hi,
I manage a Business Center in a convention center. We outsource our poster printing orders to a Print shop. We are researching the feasibility of printing the posters in house. The poster orders we receive are normally 48"x48", semi-gloss. I am hoping this forum can answer some of my questions as I have no knowledge or experience in this field.
What would the cost be to purchase the equipment needed to print posters (48"x48") at a quality equal to or better than a commercial print shop?
How big are these printers?
What type of consumable are needed?
What software is required?
How many staff are needed and what type of skillset or experience are required to operate a successful poster printing operation?
I'd appreciate it if you can answer these questions and any advice that I should be aware of.
Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Aloha.

No offense, but you really don't belong here. Nobody here really wants to help you to stop using your local sign shops. That's cutting our own throats. I know 3 signs shops in Hawaii. All but one had to go out of business because of people doing what you're doing. The one was a very successful shop for years. I'm sure that's not your intent, but it is what you're doing, by taking food off their table(s).

If you can't negotiate better prices with your vendors, how do you expect to run a sideline business ?? Getting materials over there from the mainland can become expensive. Also getting the supplies to run your machines, too.

Good luck..............:toasting:

bthcc

Aloha.

No offense, but you really don't belong here. Nobody here really wants to help you to stop using your local sign shops. That's cutting our own throats. I know 3 signs shops in Hawaii. All but one had to go out of business because of people doing what you're doing. The one was a very successful shop for years. I'm sure that's not your intent, but it is what you're doing, by taking food off their table(s).

If you can't negotiate better prices with your vendors, how do you expect to run a sideline business ?? Getting materials over there from the mainland can become expensive. Also getting the supplies to run your machines, too.

Good luck..............:toasting:
Gino, thanks for your reply. I believe my research will prove that it isn't feasible to do it in-house. I just need the numbers to back it up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are no specific numbers for you. You'll hafta learn on your own and research what machines will do what you need or want. We can't decide that for you, even if youn were a legit sign company. You need to take files to the distributors and have them rip and print your files, not their provided files. Til you get all that's needed to do it properly... you'll have a bundle invested and a huge learning curve til you learn to use it.

You have your homework laid out ahead of you.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I tend to agree with Gino. This is a sign forum filled with folks that do a lot more than posters.
That said... The membership to this forum are loose, so you never know, there might be more peeps like you out there, and may have some advice.
But... Even then, there are real crackpots here... So take any advice with a grain of salt. Be ware of the hobby crew...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't think it will pencil out if all you're going to do is bring poster printing in house. They are so cheap to print that it really doesn't make sense

Sindex Printing

Hi,
I manage a Business Center in a convention center. We outsource our poster printing orders to a Print shop. We are researching the feasibility of printing the posters in house. The poster orders we receive are normally 48"x48", semi-gloss. I am hoping this forum can answer some of my questions as I have no knowledge or experience in this field.
What would the cost be to purchase the equipment needed to print posters (48"x48") at a quality equal to or better than a commercial print shop?
How big are these printers?
What type of consumable are needed?
What software is required?
How many staff are needed and what type of skillset or experience are required to operate a successful poster printing operation?
I'd appreciate it if you can answer these questions and any advice that I should be aware of.
Thanks!
Equipment cost is hard to pin point. You can go with used and get into a printer cheap and have the problems of when you need service is finding a good and trustworthy tech if you can't fix it. Or you can go new and get an initial training with the purchase. I started in the large format and signage with a 12k investment almost 10 years ago with a Canon ipf8400 and extra rolls of material. I was a very good solution for me at the time and a very low risk financially when it was financed over 5 years.

Quality to a commercial shop depends on a lot of factors. Material quality, printer maintenance, skill set of user, quality of supplied files, and experience if you are trying to compete with people that print high quality and high volumes with little to no errors every day.

The size of the printers are not the only issue to consider. One is the room required behind and in front of the printer. Then an area for finishing.

Consumables would be extra ink on hand a common replacement parts. This will vary depending on equipment.

Software would be depending on the printer you choose and if it comes with software.

For a good operator plan on paying on the higher end of the local scale and consider the added cost involved with an employee.

We all have had to start somewhere and at some point. Every business has an expiration date on it no matter what anyone says. To run a successful operation you have to be willing to have plans of growth and plans if your original plan don't work.

I would figure as a minimum of 20k going cheap and doing a lot of research on everything plus the cost of an employee.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
So first off, we can print stuff like this for you:

But if I am reading your post correctly, doesn't sound like you need a UV, Latex or Solvent printer like we use in the sign business. You might be able to get away with an aqueous printer for indoor posters. These are much less expensive and easier to run. Outsource the outdoor work, and run quick one off posters inhouse.

JamesLam

It sounds liker you already have relationships in place, so why not try to expand on those? Could be a win-win.

rjssigns

OP is already asking the wrong questions. It is not how much this or that costs or how big something is.
Gotta start with basic stuff:
Does anybody in the organization have any design experience?
Can they run Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop?
Do you even have the software? Are you willing to spend the subscription costs?
Are they familiar with RIP programs?
Do they know or are willing to learn how to run and maintain a printer? It ain't point and shoot like the dealers will tell you.
Are they familiar with finishing operations like trimming or laminating?

Don't laugh at the trimming part. You can give some folks the best tools in the world and the print will look like a beaver with one tooth got after it.

To the point: Can your organization shoulder the expense of a full time person to do nothing but create posters and tend to the printing, finishing and mounting?

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi, I sent you a pm. I’m local (assuming you’re in Honolulu) and might be able to at least point you in the right direction. You could take a look at our printers and see what you’d need size wise. As others mentioned this forum is more for sign businesses versus customers and you’re kind of in the middle so it’s tough. If the only thing you’re doing is the 4x4 posters it might make sense but it would likely still take years to break even and if you like your outsourcing partner that route is just so much easier. Large printers also do not like to sit idle. The less they print the more problems you tend to have so if you’re only printing once a week or something opening your own equipment might not make sense

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
I offer consulting, repair and maintenance on a wide variety of print industry machines. I travel all over thr works providing my services to folks. I have a trip to Pearl Harbor coming up in a few weeks. I’d be happy to stop by

Medina Signs

Old Member
Some points that come to mind -

The associated expenses that come with printing ie. - maintenance, medias with use by dates and other consumables. The cost to maintain software, employees...
A commercial business can spread those cost over all of his jobs, in other words, keeping the ship moving daily, weekly, monthly, yearly... you get the idea. It all averages out to hopefully a profitable scenario.

Going "in house" may appear to save you money at first, but over an annual period of time, you may see your department losing money unless you start jobbing for a multitude of other departments or customers. With that, you will experience deadlines and if you can't make the deadlines, your rep will be bad and your shop will sit idle.

Think it out, you already have a full time job. It would seem to me that the pressure you would be setting up for yourself would be overwhelming.

Just because your supplier may make it look easy doesn't make it so.

JamesLam

Ya know, the more I think about this the more irked I become. There are few things worse then working your tail off and then somebody starts asking a bunch of questions so they can basically run you out of town. This has happened to me a few times but in the end the fellows & dames who thought I would just roll up the carpet and bugger off end up sitting with a lot of used equipment going for fire-sale prices.. I'm sure it's happened to many of the posters in this thread as well. As upfront as it may seem to be somewhat transparent, at the end of the day someone is going to lose out. Do not get me wrong, competition is good in so many ways. But this fellow does not seem to be bringing anything to the table.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Ya know, the more I think about this the more irked I become. There are few things worse then working your tail off and then somebody starts asking a bunch of questions so they can basically run you out of town. This has happened to me a few times but in the end the fellows & dames who thought I would just roll up the carpet and bugger off end up sitting with a lot of used equipment going for fire-sale prices.. I'm sure it's happened to many of the posters in this thread as well. As upfront as it may seem to be somewhat transparent, at the end of the day someone is going to lose out. Do not get me wrong, competition is good in so many ways. But this fellow does not seem to be bringing anything to the table.
and they muddy up many relationships that you worked hard to build with over promising and under charging, often times making you look like a jackass. Sure it works itself out but it still dents your door.

brycesteiner

Anyone can do it. You just need a lot of dedication and willingness to learn. The first thing to do is apprentice in a real shop for about 5 years. Find out if it's for you. Then you can figure out if you not only like the work but also can manage a business with working 80 hours per week. Then if you decide you need people to help out - can you train them, will they even show up?
Anyhow, you can do it but the people who are experienced have put their life into it and really aren't charging enough for the skills they have earned through their education, sweat and paper cuts in their hands.