• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stupid Mistake, now what?

CES020

I have a job that I have run repeatedly for a customer over the last 3 years. Not high volume, just a repeat order type thing that comes in about every 6 months with the wording slightly changed.

Just got an order for 20 of the items, opened up the last file I used and it tells me that the font Franklin Gothic Demi Cond Normal isn't present. What? Crap. Apparently when cleaning up my fonts, I uninstalled it, thinking I didn't use it, when, in fact, I had bought it for this one job to match what they brought me.

Sounds simple, just re-install the font, right? I can't find the darn thing and I'm beginning to feel really stupid. Obviously it's the end of the day and my brain is empty because for the life of me, I can't figure out how to find it. I probably have 100 zip files where I have bought fonts, and many of them have cryptic names and I really don't want to have to open them one by one to find the font.

Anyone got any short cuts for finding a lost font? Obviously I have searched "Franklin" with no luck. I suspect it's one that's got ITC as a prefix, but I've searched that too with no luck.

I can just buy the font again, but I hate to drop $30 for something I already bought and am too stupid to be able to locate on my own computer :Big Laugh

:iamwithstupid

gabagoo

Why not determine how long it may take to find and multiply that by your hourly rate.

I think u may be better off rebuying it.:omg:

CES020

Don't try to baffle me with logic at this point!

I know the economical thing to do, but it's become a little bit personal for me know :)

I told you it was stupid :)

SignManiac

No need for you to feel all stupid alone, I've done the same thing myself, even more than once!
As an aside, I keep a Master fonts list folder on the hard drive, a Installed fonts list on the drive and rarely mess with my fonts folder anymore even though theres a bunch I'd like to delete, but sure as hell, delete one and you'll be searching for it next week!

briankb

Premium Subscriber
if you are running XP install google desktop search then install the zip plugin. stop the auto matic indexing after reboot and add your font archive directory specifically for a quick index. it should index the zip files and all contents. you should be able to find which zip file contains your font.

Mainframe

search, fran or demi or gothic or got or goth & on & on be creative on your searches may also you may want to search .zip

gabagoo

Don't try to baffle me with logic at this point!

I know the economical thing to do, but it's become a little bit personal for me know :)

I told you it was stupid :)

I know but we all do stuff like that.
I would probably spend the hours trying to find it just to satisfy some inner satisfaction.

CES020

I think the problem lies in the possibility that the font name isn't anything identifiable. When I look at purchasing it, it says the name is TC071___.TTF. That's what's causing me the problem, it's obviously named something odd. When I search my entire computer for TC071, I get nothing. I didn't buy it from the place I found the file name (not sure which site I bought it from, it's been several years since I bought it), so I'm not sure what they may have named it.

Oh well..... Maybe if I sleep on it.............

(yeah, I seriously doubt it too)

SignosaurusRex

Depending on how the font was purchased and if it came as part of a package, Its possible that the font may have a file name that will look something like tt2064m_.ttf until it is installed. It could also look something like frkgothdc.ttf.

CES020

Depending on how the font was purchased and if it came as part of a package, Its possible that the font may have a file name that will look something like tt2064m_.ttf until it is installed. It could also look something like frkgothdc.ttf.

That's EXACTLY my problem! I'm trying to search for something that I don't know the name of.

I think it's all a conspiracy by the people that sell fonts to sell the same fonts over and over to stupid people like me, just to make up for all those people that run torrent sites and share font files from their Mom's basements.

SignosaurusRex

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but have you searched your zips for font files using your Bitstream Font Navigator in Corel? You can search your zip drives from the "Font Catalog" drop down menu. It should display the font name rather than the cryptic/numeric title.

royster13

Do you have any old CDs of Corel.....Often the old ones came with a lot of fonts not found on newer disks.....

CES020

GOT IT! WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

It turned out to be really simple.

I actually rotated my chair 180 degrees, opened the file on the computer it was created on, and Voila', it was there.

It usually helps when you look for the font on the machine it was actually installed on. The light bulb should have come on that it was a vinyl job and the file was probably created on the computer hooked to the vinyl plotter, but NOOOOOOOOoooooooo, that would have been WAY too simple and I couldn't have wasted the last hour looking for it.

Two words.....

MILLER TIME

:beer:beer:

p.s. Yes, I did the Bitstream thing and looked through Corel's book, it wasn't in there. I did have to buy it for this job several years ago when I first started.

binki

For the time you can't find it next time download google desktop.

Once it indexes your drive it will find anything.