• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suicide - - -

Williams Signs

Take it from someone that has been on the other end of things. I contemplated suicide. I was at my wits end, depression had set in bad. I felt everyone around me would be better off with out me. I was in financial trouble and was about to lose everything I owned. I thought I was worth more dead than alive. It was a long road back to sanity. People will say all the time they would die for this person or that person and as said on hear I would never do anything like that. Until you have been on the other side you don't know how you will handle things. Depression and anxiety is a real problem in the US and no one takes it seriously. It is a very bad and lonely place to be in.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
My wife has attempted suicide twice, in her case, there will be no resolution to her problem and she will die a slow, agonizing death at the hands of another person. Depression can sometimes feel like that too. I don't agree with this woman's actions, but can not fathom the pain that one must turn to that as a solution. Her, her family and her friends are in my thoughts and the gift of her organs show she is giving and was a worthwhile, loving person that had a life worth keeping.

Pinfinity

An empty, hollow feeling inside are the only words I can find to describe the loss of someone so young with so much to live for...I can't even imagine the pain the family is suffering at this moment and always. I'm so sorry!

Deaton Design

Having lost a very close family member to suicide, I know its a very hard thing to deal with and get over, if you ever do. In my case, the person was dealing with cancer and the pain involved with that, but we still cant understand ti.. My sympathies to her family and friends. It is an awful thing to go through.

SAS

I have had a few friends go the way of the rope. One was me cousins boyfriend left a 7 year old behind. One was a high school friend did not see him much after school but his mother found him hanging in the garage of her house. One did it in a small storage building his wife sent there 6 year old son out to get him for dinner, he comes back in and said mama I think daddy needs help. I had one cousin going thought a divorce and her husband shot her and then himself at the court house and left three boys behind 9, 12, and 14.

Bannerday

It's heartbreaking. This must be so hard for her family and friends.

Be extra good to your wife over these next months. Losing your best friend so early is so hard.

I'll keep you all in my thoughts.

Jillbeans

I have a Rachael who is 23.
Her daddy blew his head off when she was 8 years old.
Suicide leaves a huge scar on a family.
The trauma of finding your loved one and forever having that image stamped in your memory, the shame of it, not being able to go through the "normal" grieving process because nobody really knows what to say or do.
I will pray for Rachel's family, and for your wife.
At least some lives will be saved thanks to this senseless act.
I do have pity for the person who feels that they have no choice, because that's a low, sad, hopeless place to be.
But what they leave behind is often just as painful to the people they leave behind.
Love.....Jill

Bigdawg

Just Me
I see both sides...

My husband found his stepdad when he was 16. It made a huge impact on his life... seeing his mom lose it when they found him in the car with blood all over... kicking himself for not being there to stop it.... looking at every little aspect of his interactions with him wondering if there was something - anything - he could have done differently to stop him.

I attempted suicide when I was 15. The desperation, the complete and total hollowness of an empty life - even when you appear to be okay to everyone else - is something no words can describe. I was lucky. I took a bunch of pills and then decided I didn't want to die. I had time to change my mind - many don't get that second chance.

My heart goes out to Rachel's family and friends.

Marlene

it is so sad to see many respond to this thread with stories of their own. there was a time when I worried that my daughter might try to end her depression this way. depression is a horrid nightmare as the person may not even have a reason to look to for the depression which is what my daughter went thru. chemicals in her brain were out of wack and she was able to get relief thru meds. people some times wish they had had the chance to talk to the person to help them thru the problems. sometimes there are no issues to resolve, just the depression itself to deal and that makes it hard.

my heart goes out to Rachel's friends and family and also to all here who have shared their own stories.

CES020

I lost my cousin about 6 months ago. Great guy, family guy, great kids doing great in school. He shot himself in the head while his son was in the house (15 year old son). Many of us had spoke to him days before, and no one saw any hint there was any issue. I learned a lot during that time. He was one of the happiest, kindest guys I have ever known.

I learned that judging someone that does that is not quite the right thing to do. Many people that go that route have issues. They are ill people. I had a long discussion with another friend about it when this happened. I had no idea the friend had the same issues. He told me about being bipolar and a little about what it's like. He told me that I couldn't begin to understand it because my brain worked in a normal, rational way. His did not. For me, what was logical, could become illogical to him at times, especially if he did not take his medication. He also told me when that process starts, it's like a switch is flipped and everything you know is rational goes out the window. You don't think you are hurting your family, you think you are helping them, if you are even able to think about the family part of it.

While it's so difficult to understand for so many of us, I think you have to step back and realize, many of these people do have a disease, and it's not black and white for them. Their logic, during that process, is not the same logic we would use or have.

Another cousin of mine called me about 2 months ago. They found his father hanging. He had told his son to go get his passport so they could go overseas together this spring. The day my cousin's passport arrived in the mail, he got the call. Why you'd make plans to travel with your son and then do this, just shows the logic part goes out the window.

I've made it this far in life without ever knowing anyone that's done it. Now, in less than 6 months, I know 2 people. I hope it's something that ends here.

knucklehead

Two key words in original post. "Suicide", and "Anti-depressants". Have had three friends leave that way in the last 5-10 years. All three were on anti-depressants. Suicide is even stated in the side effects for these drugs. Even on the TV commercials for them. My wife takes them everyday.

I don't understand. One is depressed, so they give you something that may increase the odds of you killing yourself. I don't understand.

Hopefully, she's at peace now, and my prayers go out to her family.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

My father killed himself when I was 24. When this happens, you have no idea of the devastation for the family members left behind. Statistically, as the oldest son of a father who committed suicide, I am 7 times more likely that an average person to do the same. When I got sick with massive internal bleeding that led to the first of my 16 major surgeries, our house was auctioned off on the courthouse steps while I was still in bed unable to lift a gallon of milk for 6 months. I had no income during that time. I felt worth more dead than alive and became very suicidal. Fortunately for me, I was open to discussing it with several people who helped me past the crisis. A few months ago, I had a second cousin who hanged himself in his garage. His ex wife found him in time for the police to cut him down. He survived with minor brain injury. My favorite aunt shot herself in the head years ago after a several year long struggle with chronic anxiety. I can't say with all the surgeries I've had the ideations of killing myself haven't happened. I can say though I now know how much life I would have missed had I done it early on. I believe it to be a cowards way out now.

Colin

So, so sad.

For those who would like to listen to a recent look/discussion at the issue of suicide, click here. It is a very rich and illuminating talk.

(If it won't play, try adjusting the compatability setting).

Last edited:

Deaton Design

I believe it to be a cowards way out now.
Arlo, Ive heard that statement made before, and it really upsets me to hear it. I dont think in any instance would this statement be true. It has nothing to do with being a coward. Many people take this route because of horrible physical pain that none of us understand. Others do it because of problems that take them over, and CHANGE them. They are not themselves. Their minds are not right at the time of the act. In my case, my family member was in pain, eyesight was almost gone, chemo was awful, and pain meds were horrible in themselves. He never left any kind of note or letter, which was completely out of character, and knew how devastating his kids and wife would be should he do something like this. His thinking and reasoning was flawed because of every thing he was going through. No, far from being a coward.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo, Ive heard that statement made before, and it really upsets me to hear it. I dont think in any instance would this statement be true. It has nothing to do with being a coward. Many people take this route because of horrible physical pain that none of us understand. Others do it because of problems that take them over, and CHANGE them. They are not themselves. Their minds are not right at the time of the act. In my case, my family member was in pain, eyesight was almost gone, chemo was awful, and pain meds were horrible in themselves. He never left any kind of note or letter, which was completely out of character, and knew how devastating his kids and wife would be should he do something like this. His thinking and reasoning was flawed because of every thing he was going through. No, far from being a coward.

You're right John... and I take back what I said. In my father's case, he had suffered 4 major strokes during his 42nd year of life which left him an empty shell of his former self. He had no hope of a meaningful recovery. In my case, I've always had the certainty of eventual recovery and it would have been cowardly for me to check out.

Deaton Design

I knew you didnt Arlo. My fathers case was bad too. They think they have no other way out, and wont tell anyone about it. Fathers carry the weight of the world on their shoulders as it is, then their health goes. Its horrible.

Baz

Over the years i have lost two friends to suicide ... An empty, numbing feeling is all that crosses my mind. I think of those guys still and wonder what would they be "enjoying" today if they only had the strenght to keep going.

Thoughts and prayers to all who loved Rachel ....