• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suicide - - -

Fanaticus

It's amazing how fast life can put things into perspective and make you appreciate what you have... large and small.

One of my wifes best friends attempted suicide last night, now is on life support for organ donation, and will be removed from life support tomorrow at noon.

I personally never saw any signs. I knew she took meds for depression, but always seems happy and had an outgoing, very friendly, personality. She was struggling with finding 'love', but was one of the few that cared more about other people than herself.

Last night she hanged herself. I don't know all the details, but I believe her mother found her. She is in a deep coma and life support is all that keeps her alive. She was an organ donor so they are keeping her organs going until they can be collected.

She was 23.

Please say a prayer for her, her name is Rachel.

SignManiac

Happens all to often. I've lost several friends over the years to suicide. I also understand what goes through a persons mind that is suicidal. Life can be very hard for some people. She's at peace now.

OldPaint

my 1st wife went that way, 10 years after we divorced. my sister in law now, divorced her last husband, he did the deed. one niece of my now wife, she divorced her 1st husband, he did it to. all to close. in my worst time, i really was gona do it.........glad i didnt.
girl friend i knew, put it in to a context anyone can grasp:
"commuting suicide............is like walkin out of a really good movie, you never know how it ends."

skyhigh

I will say a prayer for Rachel....2 for your wife....and 3 for this girls mother who had to find her.

It is a sad situation for all.

Last edited:

ova

This so sad for the Mother. I can not say how she feels, but I can relate.

We own a car wash and some storage buildings. One Sunday morning about six years ago, I was at the car wash changing light bulbs from a ladder. On the lot pulls a pick-up truck with one guy in it.

He pulls to the back side of the storage buildings where there is an embankment going down to the river. I thought he was going to throw some trash over the bank and went to check on what he was doing.

I made it to the back bumber of his truck. When he saw me in the rear veiw mirror, he instantly pulls a pistol off the seat and shoots himself in the head.

I'm 59 yrs. old and have never wittnessed anything so horrible in my life. I didn't know the guy from Adam and still don't know his name to this day.

I still own the car wash and have to go there every day. And every day, even though the truck is no longer there, I can still see it .

Like I said, I can't exactly say how the Mother feels, but I can relate.

Sorry, just had to say this.

Dave

Steve C.

I'll apologize up front for what I'm about to say....

I find it hard to feel sorry for someone that is so selfish, as to put their loved ones thru the incredible grief & feelings of "what did I miss?", or How could I have prevented this from happening?

Just the thoughts of putting a loved one thru the trama of being the one to "find" you. Its hard to comprehend the horror this poor woman (the mother), must have felt, being the one to find her daughter dangling from a rope. Was her pain so great that she couldn't look beyond her own problems?

I have known a few people that have chose this road. The last was the husband of my wife's good friend. He elected to blow his brains out, leaving his 18 year old daughter to find him. His selfish act has not only ended his life, but has scarred his daughter beyond belief, and sent his poor mother to an early grave.

I know I should feel sorry for someone that feels so desperate to commit suicide, instead I feel sorry for the ones left behind. The pain I've seen inflicted on the families, usually dosen't leave too much compassion for the one that took their life.

+1

MikePro

I have to strongly agree that there are plenty of better things to do than just call it quits, but i'm terribly sorry for what your wife and your family are going through as a result.

luckily, but not fortunately, my only close experiences to suicides have been those suffering from terminal cancer. Which at least gives a bit of closure but is still saddening nonetheless.

Custom_Grafx

I'll apologize up front for what I'm about to say....

I find it hard to feel sorry for someone that is so selfish, as to put their loved ones thru the incredible grief & feelings of "what did I miss?", or How could I have prevented this from happening?

Just the thoughts of putting a loved one thru the trama of being the one to "find" you. Its hard to comprehend the horror this poor woman (the mother), must have felt, being the one to find her daughter dangling from a rope. Was her pain so great that she couldn't look beyond her own problems?

I have known a few people that have chose this road. The last was the husband of my wife's good friend. He elected to blow his brains out, leaving his 18 year old daughter to find him. His selfish act has not only ended his life, but has scarred his daughter beyond belief, and sent his poor mother to an early grave.

I know I should feel sorry for someone that feels so desperate to commit suicide, instead I feel sorry for the ones left behind. The pain I've seen inflicted on the families, usually dosen't leave too much compassion for the one that took their life.

Although I understand where you are coming from, and what you say makes sense (especially to people not suffering from depression), people in this state of mind have enough trouble figuring out what the hell is going on inside their own head, let alone what's inside other peoples' heads, or giving a hell about how they feel. It's the least of their worries. They are in a constant state of torture and pain.

I don't want to get into an argument - especially since I know what you are trying to say - but if I can help you to gain compassion or empathy for these people who decide to take their own life, think of it this way... it's a bit like telling a patient who just lost his leg in a hit and run in the emergency ward to shut up and stop screaming because he's causing noise pollution and waking up babies or something. It's not about being selfish. It is a sickness, a disease, the result and consequence of something terribly bad that has happened or is going on inside their head.

Peace be with all who have endeavoured such desperation and experienced the loss of a loved one.

jiarby

My Dad did it when I was 16... and, more recently, and poker playing buddy lost his business, wife left him, he started drinking more and more... then just shot himself.

We knew he was having a hard time but he was always the joking prankster... he kept all the trouble inside.

You wish that you could go back and tell them that it will all work out... but they are tired of trying or do not believe that they can do it.

skyhigh

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound uncompassionate. Perhaps I've been a little too close to the topic at hand to be very objective.

One thing I can say for sure.....No matter how much pain & torture that may be afflicting my mind or body, I would never put my loved ones thru the same pain of finding me.

Prayers to Rachel, and especially to those that loved her.

Border

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound uncompassionate. Perhaps I've been a little too close to the topic at hand to be very objective.

One thing I can say for sure.....No matter how much pain & torture that may be afflicting my mind or body, I would never put my loved ones thru the same pain of finding me.

Prayers to Rachel, and especially to those that loved her.

I'm with ya on that one.

jiarby

I agree with skyhigh...

I have empathy for the struggles that people wrestle with but not sympathy...
In fact, anger is the right emotion... because the REAL victims of a suicide is everyone that is left to clean up the mess (physical, emotional, financial, etc..) They one that gets off easiest is the dead guy. They gave up and quit and push their burdens on everyone else.

My thoughts would be for the family and their recovery... not the suicide "perpetrator".