• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa d-140 temper mental!!!

gabagoo

Every job today I have attempted to cut using the opus has resulted in pure frustration.

Most days the plotter runs fine, but then there are days like today that no matter what goes in or no matter how long it has been sitting laminated, the SOB just refuses to see the registration marks.

I love when you set it up to the mark and it moves about an inch or so in a completely wrong direction, then sits there searching for what seems an eternity and then ultimatelyy beeps for your assistance at which point you set it back up right over or in front of the mark and then it goes and looks elsewhere again.

I sometimes turn the plotter off and retry 2 or 3 times and then i reboot everything and magically it's brain seems to now understand it's function in life. grrrrrrrrrrr

Now it cant find the marks on a 2ml 3M lam...that never happens...Plotter has alzheimers for sure....

MikeD

Those are really weird symptoms. Does it only happen on laminated prints? If so, you may be able to mask over the marks, lam, and then cut the mask off revealing un-laminated marks. Then opus won't have to deal with reflectivity the lam may be giving off. of course you can't do that for every print, but that could be a temporary work-around for you.
Is your sensor clean?
Call Summa; their techs are always helpful.

Good Luck!

tomence

Is your cutter located next to a window where sun light comes in. Try to close any blinds and turn off your lights and try again. I think that will work, the darker in the room the better the OPOS works because it has its own light where the sensor is under the carriage right.

gabagoo

If it did it all the time I would make a change...but this is a daily thing...it just picks a day to give me trouble.... Monday it will run the same files like normal.

I have now rebooted the computer and the plotter a second time and about to send the cut once again..... Oh what now? The file in the production manager is gone.... I know it was set to hold and I have tried to run it at least 4 times before rebooting. Seems Flexi decided on it's own to delete it.....grrrrr

FatCat

I know exactly what you're talking about gabagoo. My D-140 has done the same thing, but only a handful of times. Typically solved itself by turning everything off, going home and then coming back the next day and it would be fine. Not sure why, and it has been a long while since it's happened. I would call Summa and see if they can be of more help.

jayhawksigns

Have you setup your OPUS sensor for the laminated media? With our S-140T I have different "profiles" for different media that we cut. Have one for regular laminated media and another for reflective for example.

Helps a lot and is more reliable in reading the marks here.

rjssigns

Our Summa does not play well with one of our anti-virus programs running. Sometimes it would be okay other times not. Shut that off and the Summa is happy again.

gabagoo

OK here is a strange one that I have never experienced before..... I have 2 settings in my Summa software for cutting printed graphics. One is used for non laminated and it runs at a high speed with auto load off. The second is the same except I run it slower with more pressure...again auto load is off, because I have found instances where if there is not enough material at the end of a graphic it can jam up in the plotter.

This morning I have 2 files I want to cut of the exact same graphic, except one has 6- 24" x 20" logos and the other has 4. I put the one with 6 logos in first and set it up for cut. I can clearly see in Flexi program manager which file to send for cut and do so. I also turned auto load on again as the Summa rep said it is useful. So the plotter goes and rolls out about 60" to make sure I have enough material and then comes back and finds the first mark, then proceeds to the second mark. At this point it is about half way through finding the marks on one side, when it goes back to the beginning and starts looking for the marks on the far end.

I kill the plotter and resend it 3 more times and even threw in a complete reboot of the computer and it did the same thing all 3 times.
Frustrated I decide to switch to the faster cut mode and set it up and sure as Chit it finds all the marks and cuts perfectly.

I have never seen this in 5 years and now cant figure out what might be going on in my user 2 settings.

Any ideas?

FatCat

Almost sounds like this my be an issue with Flexi settings. Does Flexi have any cut length limits within it's settings? I don't know Flexi, I run Wasatch. However, none of my contour cut issues have been similar to that. It's just when it won't read the crop marks - it won't read them at all.

gabagoo

Almost sounds like this my be an issue with Flexi settings. Does Flexi have any cut length limits within it's settings? I don't know Flexi, I run Wasatch. However, none of my contour cut issues have been similar to that. It's just when it won't read the crop marks - it won't read them at all.

I dont belive it is flexi as when i switched back to my user 1 setting in Summa, all of a sudden it understood. I also took auto load off again

ProColorGraphics

I had what sounds like a similar issue with my D140. I ran mine out of Caldera. I just upgraded mine to a S140T and LOVE it!! Well worth the money!

dclet

opos itself needs calibration...

easy to do...potentiometers bottom of opos

Might want ask here

I'd be more then happy to clue you in.

Bly

We had the same issues with our old D140.
Calibrating helped a lot.

We upgraded to a D160R a while back and haven't had a problem since.