• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S Class 2 T series - Perf Cutting help

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So, we've got a new plotter! While i have been able to do simple kiss cut jobs with it, I am having a heck of a time dialing in the Perf (flex) cut feature. There is this whole testing set-up procedure, I walk through it, make adjustments, everything seems fine. in the full pressure test it cuts all the way through as it should. When I actually go to cut the job, it won't cut all the way through - not even close. Or it will cut all the way through one side of a square shape, but not the other 3 sides. The length of the full vs flex force seems right (10mm and 1.2mm). However, when it's cutting it's not doing a perforated line - just a solid line that still isn't cutting all the way through.
Is there anyone out there familiar enough with this machine that you can tell me what I'm not doing right?

Saturn

Aging Member
Skip the FlexCut if you're just doing "stickers" and just treat it as a deeper regular cut. Here's one of many threads that have covered a lot of different thoughts on it.

I have the same cutter and usually do 2-passes or more depending on the flexibility. The passes need to be right on top of each other immediately after one another, but if your blade is adjusted well you'll get a sheet of stickers where they're just on the verge of popping out with a simple finger pop, but not so loose that they fall out on their own.

Don't give up, it can be done! ;p

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It sounds like you are not actually cutting with flexcut. When it's doing flexcut it's doing a clearly different motion of movement compared to normal kisscutting.

Boudica

It sounds like you are not actually cutting with flexcut. When it's doing flexcut it's doing a clearly different motion of movement compared to normal kisscutting.
It's true, it does not behave or cut like flex cut. However, it' is set up as flex cut - yes the spot color is named and the layer in the artwork is named exactly the same thing. It shows up as a flex cut layer in Cut Server though. So why is the machine not reading it as such?

I'm doing some more testing, and my results are that it either treats both cut paths as a kiss cut, or it cuts all the way through both paths (but not perforated).
I turned on the Flex cut (options are fast, accurate or off). On, it cuts all the way through everything. off, it cuts through nothing. I have the layers in cut server set to tangential for the kiss layer, and perf-cut for the perf layer, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Last edited:

Boudica

Assuming this is all on prints with reg marks, can you get it to flex cut without a registration setup? Might simplify troubleshooting to get it to actually run the perf cut. Sounds like a setting buried somewhere.
I can get it to perf cut in the test - is that what you mean? Yes they are printed, with the registration marks and bar code. it's reading all that just fine. the tests are fine. Something is going wonky from cut server to the machine. I'm sure it's a setting Somewhere... but which one and where.

netsol

I am far from an expert on summa's, but when you say it only cuts properly on 1 side of a square,
That certainly sounds like tramming error. (Cutting head not perpendicular on all axes. Since it is a new cutter, there might be that type of issue, only showing itself on this type of media

Boudica

I am far from an expert on summa's, but when you say it only cuts properly on 1 side of a square,
That certainly sounds like tramming error. (Cutting head not perpendicular on all axes. Since it is a new cutter, there might be that type of issue, only showing itself on this type of media
Well, that was an early issue. After many tests, with different settings, Im frustratingly stumped. Tomorrow is another day, and I'm going to carve out some time to get on the phone with some help.

netsol

Boudica
If that was an early issue, I would assume it hasn't been completely resolved.
I can offer to overnight you a dial indicator, or a tramming tool, but the tramming tool is made for adjusting a Cnc. Honestly I have never touched a summa. My experience is more along the lines of Roland, Epson and gerber. However I think we are in the right neighborhood to find your problem

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's true, it does not behave or cut like flex cut. However, it' is set up as flex cut - yes the spot color is named and the layer in the artwork is named exactly the same thing. It shows up as a flex cut layer in Cut Server though. So why is the machine not reading it as such?

I'm doing some more testing, and my results are that it either treats both cut paths as a kiss cut, or it cuts all the way through both paths (but not perforated).
I turned on the Flex cut (options are fast, accurate or off). On, it cuts all the way through everything. off, it cuts through nothing. I have the layers in cut server set to tangential for the kiss layer, and perf-cut for the perf layer, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
And you also have the tool set correctly as flex cut? The layer has to be spelled exactly the same way as in the settings or otherwise it defaults the tool back to the normal one.
That's your problem I can see that.

Boudica

Onyx 21, Here is a screen shot of what I get in Cut Server, and it looks right. My issue is that the plotter is not perf cutting that flex path, but a solid line, a bit deeper than the kiss cut, but not all the way through.
Mind you, all of tests in setting up pressure and such at the plotter look perfect.
1635523749818.png

Boudica

Well, I think at this point I need to call Summa, and/or Grimco - I've got some other help, who has confirmed there is nothing wrong with my file (they were able to make it work), and I've sent them screen shots showing that all looks good in cut server. The problem seems to be at the plotter.

Note, in this process this morning, I did find some over rides that were checked "on" - I turned those off, but it didn't make any difference. but there is one more that I'm still trying to locate to make sure it's un checked as well.

Boudica

Good news everyone (who cares) I've got it working. who wants to guess what it was?
Nevermind, your busy professionals... it was my length. set at 10mm (default) I changed it to 1.5, and now it's working like it's supposed to.

Thank you all for your input. Except for Notarealsignguy. you get a kick in the ass.

snoopy-peanuts.gif