• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Surface Textures?

The Hobbyist

I am obviously new and green at this, but what is available to put a texture into a surface so it is not absolutely flat? The big orange store pointed me to the wall and ceiling textures, but that seems like a horror story waiting to happen.

If I shoot a surface with paint, is there something, or some technique (or tool) that I could use to add texture to the paint, or perhaps apply a texture to a surface BEFORE painting it? I am thinking of a texture similar to 60 Grit sandpaper, not wood grain or anything specifically defined. I know there is a sandy grit that you can put down on a floor, added to the paint while it is still wet, to eliminate a slippery surface.

Are surface textures more commonly ADDED to a surface, or does the industry use sand/bead blasting to roughen an existing surface?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Smalts or sand.

If you use the paint called textured paint, remember, it's for a ceiling inside a house, which will never get any wear & tear, whatsoever.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hit the surface in question with a drywall texture gun then paint it. You can deliver most any texture from slight to heavy and, if you want, you can knock down the sprayed on texture with a trowel for a whole new spectrum of textures.

J Hill Designs

Hit the surface in question with a drywall texture gun then paint it. You can deliver most any texture from slight to heavy and, if you want, you can knock down the sprayed on texture with a trowel for a whole new spectrum of textures.
this.

or if you want it REALLY textured, use an acrylic stucco sprayed through the same gun

johnwon

Certain Sherwin Williams stores sell exterior paint with sand in it for spraying with a hopper gun. They can tint it to most colors, except your really dark colors and black. It's a bit messy to apply, because the sand does bounce off of the background so don't spray near vehicles and wear old clothes, but is soap and water cleanup and pretty easy to spray for a beginner. Go with multiple lighter coats and let dry in between coats to avoid too much. Make sure you spray it square on and don't bend your wrist to get an even coat over the entire sign. You can also choose the grit sand that they add. It comes in a 5 gallon bucket and costs us less than one gallon of paint.

artbot

if it's interior. get some polyisocynaturate board and tear off the aluminum facing. it has a great lunar texture and mills on a cnc beautifully. i'm milling some right now for a project. you can take (non-shrink!) spackling and fill the texture slightly to your taste if you want to adjust the finish.