• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tennis Team Logo

stephenj148

Just a quick design so far. Was looking for a little input on this. Need some strong criticism.

Attachments

• logo.pdf
    63.5 KB · Views: 120

signmeup

It's a little busy and could use more contrast. I'd try fewer balls and a bolder font.

If you post jpegs you'll get more responce. A lot of people here won't open a pdf.

TheSellOut

Try using the white line of the tennis ball as the smile with white eyes, and I would work on the font more too!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Was there any input by the client...

My initial reaction, poor typeface choice and treatment, what's up with all the ballz, and is there a concept?

stephenj148

The customer was looking for streaks coming from the ball, or a sequence to imply that the ball was in flight. I was trying to give it at look as if it were spiked (reason for having the 4 balls) I threw this design together and never really got an opportunity to spend some time on it before class.

The coach of the teams name is "smiles" so That was the reason for the goofy face on the tennis ball. not sure if i'm going to include it. Like I said, it was thrown together.

I'm having trouble now making the tennis balls look realistic in a flying motion. And the font is obviously terrible. Can anyone maybe offer some tips as to how I could improve the look of this logo. I'm fairly new to logo designs and I'm really hoping to make this one look good. It will eventually be applied to T-Shirts, and made into stickers.

signmeup

First off...you need to post a jpeg. Not many people will bother to open a pdf. I did it for you.

Maybe you could add some text like "Team Smiles Tennis Club" or something. People will get that those are tennis balls if they see the word tennis.

Attachments

• Smiles.jpg
    Smiles.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 82

Marlene

it looks like it was designed by a high school student. one ball, nice solid yellow with face, ball in flight not a bad idea and a good strong font for the name.

stephenj148

hmm, interesting way to say it. Guess I'm at the level of a high school student, may as well be. In college and unfortunately haven't been in a lot of design classes yet. Many of them are still basic...

However, I can be mature enough to take it constructively and work to make it better, and myself better...

Can anyone help point me in a direction to make a tennis ball look more realistic? I've tried the 3D revolve tool but not sure if that is the way to go. It makes the line on the ball look flat.

Marlene

hmm, interesting way to say it. Guess I'm at the level of a high school student, may as well be. In college and unfortunately haven't been in a lot of design classes yet. Many of them are still basic...

However, I can be mature enough to take it constructively and work to make it better, and myself better...

the reason I said that is I have dealt with logos from high school teams and they look a lot like that. there usually is a bad choice of font because they think it looks "fancy" and an over use of any special effects. the ball isn't a bad one, it just needs to be re-wroked without all the gradients and as a tennis ball doesn't look like that. just a good, bright yellow tennis ball with the happy face. a couple of swooshes so it looks like it's bouncing and a good font with a good soild color, not yellow and you're there.

when you ask what we think, we tend to tell you. glad that you took it as constructive as that is how you learn. we all did but most of us didn't have the site to post things and get ideas so you all ready are a step ahead.

Marlene

here's a recent high school team logo I had to work with so you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• logo.JPG
    logo.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 75

stephenj148

Any progress????

At this point I'm trying to get the text "Team Smiles" To get warped into the swoosh behind the ball. Not having any luck with the tutorials I found.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 77

signgal

eeep! That one scares me! Most of the design geniuses here will tell you to design in flat black and white, first. If it looks solid, you can add the gradient, etc. My High School son and hubby are on tennis teams and were not crazy about these.

Maybe try the "simple" approach. My 2 cents...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I would play with the ball first...

You can use the line in the ball for the smile then play with the eyes like my example...

"Determined Tennis Ball"

"Goofy Tennis Ball"

2 ways to show motion...

Attachments

• smiley tennis.jpg
    smiley tennis.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 95