• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Profit Sign Shop Episode / Precise Graphix

GypsyGraphics

I love the show The Profit, and just watch last nights episode, which was with a sign shop in PA called Precise Graphix.

Usually Marcus is all about the process and I'm wondering why he, or anyone else in the shop, didn't feel like their designer was responsible for too many things, considering the insane three week time frame. Shouldn't their have been a production designer or production manager. Someone determining the materials and availability, so they wouldn't have to piece things together trying to get the job done in short order.

Just seems to me everything fell on the designer's plate, design, material, fabrication, timelines, installation engineering as well as overseeing the install and being held responsible for not completing every aspect of the install on time.

Also, I sure would have like to seen the second project be something totally different from the first, rather than another yellow & blue color scheme, circular hanging display and car section. Although, I'm guessing the reason was at least partly due to another ridiculously short timely, so he went the formulaic route.

Lastly... floppy disks.... REALLY????

Here's where you can catch the full episode:
http://www.cnbc.com/live-tv/the-profit/full-episode/precise-graphix/474106947698

In a somewhat unrelated field, but a great episode to see a marketing train wreck. Everything from Fuel Food's owner, to logo, to marketing strategy, to financial partners... simply everything, a total disaster. :covereyes:
http://www.cnbc.com/live-tv/the-profit/full-episode/fuelfood/465777731963

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You would think a guy that talks about process would take the time learn about the sign process from design to build to install.
Maybe these guys didn't know or had not put a/the process into place. He starts out with a computer, plotter and sign software and 130k and they build it up to 3-4 million a year in 11 years is impressive, but at some point, they should have figured out that they needed someone in-between to manage the production design and engineering end of it and free him up to just design and keep an eye on the details.

Marcus also treats it like a commodity... and it is (to him)... but just because he can get someone do it in a month does not mean it's going to be any good, or good enough. 3 weeks was a ridiculous request. Maybe he should have designed to that short time frame, maybe simplify the design... or asked for another week or make the argument that another week or 2 would give him a superior design and finish.

The thing that the design guy did not say was that he needed help... a faster computer will never cut it... they need another designer. You really don't want to rely on one designer, especially that old and porky cranking out work that fast... he's good, imagine if he got sick... it would be hard to replace him. I've worked on store design... it can take weeks, sometimes months for the design, let alone fab and install, once the concept is done, it's a matter of moving things around and resizing.

The kind of help he needed is not that easy to find so I probably would have gone through the exercises, taken advice and see what could be tightened up... then give it some serious thought if I want to go a mile a minute for the rest of my career... at this point in my life, anyone thinking that my work is a commodity could never be my partner.

I watched it too :) I like that show. Must see TV on Tuesdays with Shark Tank and The Profit.

@GypsyGraphics - Marcus put the brother in charge of execution. So, the other guy could design everything out.

Also, 3 weeks is cutting it close but usually what takes so long is the back and forth with indecisive customers. In this case, it (seemed) like Marcus gave him complete creative control. Since he has a lot of experience, he could hammer out the design in probably a few days and then straight to fabrication/ install. Also, that was a test to see if they could go full bore with everything and deliver. Sometimes if you want the job, you gotta go for it short time-frame or not.

GypsyGraphics

@GypsyGraphics - Marcus put the brother in charge of execution. So, the other guy could design everything out.

If that's the case, the designer brother sure got thrown under the bus. He took the heat for all the poor execution and unfinished work.

As for the deadline.... if I was on The Profit, asking Marcus to save my business, I'd make it happen in 3 weeks, but otherwise it's totally unrealistic. I've designed business interiors, it's not a week long process.

Agreed, I think it was Marcus going 'How bad do you want this Deal'... Put in 14-18 hour days and make it happen. Reminds me of when I helped a friend who owns a display house a few years back. We worked setting up the booth from 10am to 4am. 18 hours total... ugh...

:Sleeping:

visual800

Im actually watching this on youtube now. And it appears to be another BS TV show. If your shop is doing that damn good why are you out on the hwy pimpin yourself like a pizza clown with a spinning sign? I also see that he fabricates all himself which is shocking for someone that small. All logos including his were horrible. Showroom was terrible.

im sorry when it comes to tv everything is stages and everything is built for entertainment.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The whole thing is staged. You really want me to believe these two brothers gave up the farm to help this Marcus guy out ?? You want me to think this Marcus guy is that stoopid, he hired a sinking ship to do his RV shop, give them an ultimatum, they failed miserably and then give them a second chance on another of his businesses ?? What happened to all of their other projects/orders while they hadda step up the pace for Marcus's job?? A good busineperson would work out the immediate details, before going head over heels into a phony project. Like mentioned, it's entertainment and because we all know this one a little too well, we sympathize with the helpless. These guys just got TV exposure and perhaps some new accounts from it all, but they never needed him. They just needed someone to slap those two brothers around and grow up.

Threw him under the bus.......... get real, he said that for pity. Yeah right. The script was written to get you to like him. His second attempt looked just like the first. He has the design sense of a parrakeet. Yellow and blue all around. He walks in like an interior decorator and says, I can see this and we'll do this over there. Who does that with absolutely no feel for anything, but a boost in the arse from a television show director ?? And the other brother...... what did he do, besides contribute $160,000 some years ago. He overstayed his welcome, too.

Yep, back to your regular broadcasting and to your work. Anyone see Marcus coming down the street ?? I hope not.

GypsyGraphics

Threw him under the bus.......... get real, he said that for pity. Yeah right. The script was written to get you to like him. His second attempt looked just like the first. He has the design sense of a parrakeet. Yellow and blue all around. He walks in like an interior decorator and says, I can see this and we'll do this over there. Who does that with absolutely no feel for anything, but a boost in the arse from a television show director ?? And the other brother...... what did he do, besides contribute $160,000 some years ago. He overstayed his welcome, too.

i didn't feel pity for anyone. i didn't say "threw him under the bus" because that phrase what used on the show. "thrown under the bus" or "scape goat" ... either way, Marcus and both brother where just as responsible for the failures.

as for the design.... i thought it was awful. the place looked like walmart beginning to end!
second chance... rinse & repeat.
(although i did like the office each having a name based on a classic car)

GypsyGraphics

The whole thing is staged.

WHAT??? Reality TV is all bullpucky?

if the whole thing was staged, they should have done a much better job of making Marcus look better.

i can't speak to this episode specifically, as to how much is stage and how much is reality... but i can say for a fact... one episode was based on a past client, who i fired for the exact behavior displayed on the show. if i hadn't witness it myself, i would have believe it was scripted or editied for shock value. it wasn't.

that second show i posted a link to (Fuel Food)... my client was equally as crazy, worse actually! i'm sure some business ARE chosen just because they make for good tv. that they go in knowing full well the business is a bust. they're counting on the fact that most people can't look away from a train wreck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
i didn't feel pity for anyone. i didn't say "threw him under the bus" because that phrase what used on the show. "thrown under the bus" or "scape goat" ... either way, Marcus and both brother where just as responsible for the failures.

as for the design.... i thought it was awful. the place looked like walmart beginning to end!
second chance... rinse & repeat.
(although i did like the office each having a name based on a classic car)

I was not quoting or insinuating you, at all. Like you said, it was used on the show. That and all the other episodes of that show and any of the many other shows just like it...... suck the big one. It's entertainment for the mindless masses. I've seen two of them. Both of them posted here because they were about sign shops, so I watched.

There is about 1% reality and the rest is completely rehearsed. Ya think anyone is gonna sink millions into a television show and not know the outcome weeks before it's ever aired ?? This guy will run for president in 2020, you watch. The 'Donald' did it, and so will this guy and his running mate will be Oprah. :banghead:

GypsyGraphics

That and all the other episodes of that show and any of the many other shows just like it...... suck the big one. It's entertainment for the mindless masses. I've seen two of them. Both of them posted here because they were about sign shops, so I watched.

There is about 1% reality and the rest is completely rehearsed.

"That and all the other episodes of that show" ... that's quite an assessment based on having watched 2 shows.

Like the show or not, believe it or not.... i can personally vouch for the fact that at least one show, as unbelievable as it was... was just as you saw on tv. Maybe it was a fluke, that it was a case of reality being better than fiction.

I'm not making a sweeping generalization either way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
"That and all the other episodes of that show" ... that's quite an assessment based on having watched 2 shows.

Like the show or not, believe it or not.... i can personally vouch for the fact that at least one show, as unbelievable as it was... was just as you saw on tv. Maybe it was a fluke, that it was a case of reality being better than fiction.

I'm not making a sweeping generalization either way.

C'mon, now don't get silly. I've seen two of this 'Profit' show and little tidbits of this and that.... and over the course of years saw parts of the other shows just like this. I've been watching television since the mid 50's Anyway, none of them..... are Marcus and his crew just march in and do their thing and presto..... the sh!t hit's the fan and ya either pass or fail. They know going in, what they'll be dealing with both personality-wise and business-wise. Their goal is to make it look candid. They're all actors and trying to sell a show. They probably knew before they taped the show exactly how your client was going to work on and off camera. Those people cannot sway from the script, or the whole show will be cancelled. I mean, do you believe in the Jerry Springer show or Dr Phil ?? Do you believe in all these people who don't have a life, until a camera is shoved in their face ?? You don't think they take second or third takes of the same scene to get the 'FEEL' they need or want to make it believable ?? How is it, the camera is watching Marcus and the one brother talk behind his back and suddenly, a camera out of nowhere, spots the other brother sneaking out the back door. Then they whisper, in case he's around the corner, listening. Some of the shots of the employees crying and heart felt trembling of losing the jobs is spot on, as the cameras use the deer-in-the-headlight approach and catch them off guard, then they capitalize on that. Those are the only real moments in the entire show. Other than that...... it's all a farce with real people being the characters.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here's to ya.............. :beer :beer Heck, I didn't even think you were born yet in the 60's. Coulda fooled me.

Anyway..... have a great holiday weekend and don't get into any television shows, cause ya just never know who's watching...........

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 147

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Some really funny comebacks here...

Hey Gigi, I thought you had a client on "The Profit"... pretty wild show too, and spot on... doesn't your son work production on several reality TV shows? Hmmm...
Also you would think they have more than one camera working the show to catch the crap.

Yeah, ummm, it's entertainment AND reality... don't know the percentage, don't know how to figure that out, but I do know, you put "real" people front of the camera, they tend to be "real"
How do I know?... a reality show with 2 former vendors i worked with, yeah there was drama embellished - well, one guy dies, maybe they made that up too, and the 2 guys were actually how they are in the show...

Gosh, I can't count Hobo Kelly, Bozo the Clown and Wonderama as my reality TV watching experience? Hobo Kelly did say hi to me with her magic glasses!!! Did she lie to me!!! What about Tom Jones... they weren't throwing panties at him.... my whole childhood was based on the idea that girls would throw their chonies at me! Still waiting....

Many sign shops have problems...
Like many here, I'm actually in the sign business and deal with companies like that. I'm thinking my sign experience trumps my tv watching. Worked for a few shops too. From farting lady, a shop of 15 where only a few could speak english, worked at shops with ancient equipment, and had super lazy employees that were there for many many years.
You take a self-taught company, add phenomenal growth, add a partner, you get that drama...
Most sign shops, no matter what stage they are in have similar issues. I have a job because many sign shops are like this place.

I think the thing to take from this is... how is your process? how is your growth? are your employees working to their full potential? do they have the tools to do it, do you rely too much on one or 2 people, do they like working for you?
I don't think much was changed on their process... seems they were just thrown a lot of work and some upgraded equipment and Marcus gets his work done, makes a profit on himself while getting free advertisement for 3 of his businesses while sponsors pony up for part of it.
Compared to other shows, I think Marcus missed the mark... I think somebody else did too.

GypsyGraphics

Here's to ya.............. :beer :beer Heck, I didn't even think you were born yet in the 60's. Coulda fooled me.

aaaaaand now you're my new best friend :loveya:

fyi: i was a contestant on a game show in 1967. just like with Alan Funt, they counted on kids to say the darnest things.