• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The "Wrap Daddy" Computer

John M

I have been saying it in this thread a few times...

The XEON procs are better than the Core2Duos... They cost more money!
Dont price compare core 2' based machines running XP with a Xeon machine running x64.

Why dont one of you guys write up a quote for a Dual Quad Xeon system and compare apples to apples!?

My point isn't really the price; it's that a dual Xeon system is not necessarily better (faster) than a single Core2Quad for this purpose. "More = better" sounds good on paper but when you look at the build as a whole - processor cores vs. memory access vs. disk access - you may be surprised as to which one actually delivers the most performance.

I considered quoting a dual Xeon system but decided against it. Obviously if my price is lower I'll just be accused of building a lesser system that somehow would still be below the standards of the "mystery machine."

Simply put: I'd rather lose a sale completely than try to sell you something you won't be able to use to its full potential. Nothing else I say here can prove or disprove my position. I'm still willing to run any benchmark or test anyone requests on the local shop's dual-core version. I'll be glad to build "the real deal" and allow someone else to test it in any manner they'd like -- hopefully someone living in a state that borders Georgia!

SignBurst PCs

John, that is fair.

I will agree to disagree. The things that we are arguing about in here are most likely not fully understood anyhow. You seem to be a very intelligent guy.

Thanks for the stimulating banter.

iSign

Thanks for signing on as a merchant member Casey.

While stimulating banter is a nice break from my busy workday, where I am guilty of throwing a few too many barbs your way, I'll apologize & will concede that you too seem like an intelligent guy & now a supporter of our little banter venue too.

Best of luck on your business.

jiarby

a dual Xeon system is not necessarily better (faster) than a single Core2Quad for this purpose.

That's true...

A Ferrari won't get you to 7-11 and back much faster than a Honda Civic either, but when they get to the track you will appreciate the horsepower.

How about some perfmon proc counters on all the cores during a RIP job?? That'll show who is glowing and who isn't!

SignBurst PCs

Thanks iSign. I spent some time (3 years) on Oahu while in the Army. You are on a different island, right? I am not quite haole, but hapa.

I just visited for a week or so in November. What a wonderful place to live (although I do remember missing the mainland after a while).

Samm

An outside perspective on all this, I'm not in the market for a computer so I am Totally unbiased here.

wrap computer guy - sorry, but you are coming across as an over-protective, overzealous, way-to-eager-to-make-a-sale salesman.

Everyone has their opinion, including you, and everyone is entitled to have their say.

To have someone "bag" your product (as I understand the price initially) isn't always the nicest thing, but to come out with all guns blazing and going ballistic to defend it (and make yourself look like a fair bit of a child in the process) looks to be a bit extreme.

You have what seems to be a great product, I'm sure those with the need will buy it.

You don't need to convert all several thousand of the members here in the first short while you are here, you have a merchant classified board, go there, put your case up and let the computer itself do the selling - just be there to assist any enquiries. Anything that gets said on other parts of the forum, just people exercising their freedom of speech, save your sales pitch for those who need it.

After all this who-har, if you were on the one side of the room, John on the other and me in between with limitless $$ to spend, I'd be steering towards John, simply because of his professional attitute - and not allowing himself to get sucked into a childish game of who has the better toy.

Sam

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I also would like to clear the air and say :Oops: and that I have much respect for your knowledge wrapper and didn't mean anything negative towards you or your affiliation with Feller's, but sometimes certain facts need to be cleared up in my little floppy drive brain and the only way for me is to try and stay focused.

:cool1: and :peace!:
Gino​
PS.. I talked to Dan and he doesn't even know who you are...............
only kidding.............

SignBurst PCs

I realize that I may have been defensive. I agree.

I just have to ask you if someone walked into your shop and told you that you were doing it all wrong and charging too much for it as well, how would you react.

It was a knee-jerk and there was probably a little a little over-reaction. I will try to keep it on a more stable and professional level.

There is just sooo much wrap related computer info in my over-stuffed brain that sometimes my brain pukes.

Sorry for that.

Samm

Are You yourself the owner of Signburst, or just an employee?

The comment re price was made on an open forum, not in your shop. Different story. Judging from the reaction you had here, htf would you handle someone in your shop doing the same?? Of course anyone is going to bitch about price - ffs there's a newb in the newb forum complaining about the price of vinyl!!!

someone walked into your shop and told you that you were doing it all wrong and charging too much for it as well, how would you react.

I'd remind them that there are plenty of other sign shops in town, please feel free to annoy them and leave my precious time for Real customers. I'm well known for straight out asking "who's the signmaker here??"

It happens in every profession, every walk of life. I've been abused for everything from Woolworths having milk 2 cents more expensive than Coles through to houses being decorated all wrong and on the market for two much (incidently, one in particular, agents said 400k, I said 500k - it sold for $500k within 24 hours)

Take it on the chin, consider the thoughts of others, grow stronger from them. If you have The product, those who want it will get it.

signguy95

I'm actually trying to determine what's the better upgrade for my computer if anyone could offer some advice? We just started the whole Large Format Printing part of the business and while my computer was sufficient for vinyl it seems a little weak for printing?

During printing of our van wrap using Flexi Pro 8.1, it took 16 mins to process in Production Manager, around 45 mins to RIP. I watched my memory and CPU usage during all of this and it don't seem to be fully using its resources? We ran some test just for fun to see what was slowing it down and while rasterizing the background (75" x 230" @ 100dpi, which was a 500mb file) flexi only used around 140mb of memory, though taking several minutes to do. While processing and RIPing the file (500mb) we were running two threads each of about 80mb memory and varying between 5%-67% CPU in short burst? Is this about right? Seem like something is off? Are these RIP times right or can I do this quicker? Also, I use this system for design & rip, so I have to be able to do other things while Riping.

My spec as of now:

Dell Optiplex 170L

Pentium 4 (533 mhz, I think, maybe 800mhz but I doubt it)
2 gigs Ram (PC3200)
80 gig SATA 7200 rpm
400 gig External
Integrated video (Intel Exteme?)

Jay

SignBurst PCs

Ripping times

Ripping is a processor intensive activity. I do recommend spitting the design and ripping tasks up on different computers (if at all possible). It is far more efficient. If you don't split them, designing in going to be a slug while you are ripping. Designing on your current machine will be OK in Flexi (because of it's vector nature), but pretty difficult in Photoshop and Corel.

You can get faster rip times. A more modern computer with plenty of RAM will bring down the RIP times. A 32 bit windows system with a dual core processor and 4 gb of ram has proved to be sufficient in my experience (for ripping, not designing).

Let me know if you need more specific advice.

kstompaint

I have no stake in speaking up for Fellers or Casey. I'm just saying that I researched my purchase to the best of my ability and feel comfortable with it. Attacking Casey for not being a Merchant Member is ridiculous, he only responded to some obvious attacks on his product. Fellers has a great reputation for service and I doubt they have any intention of risking that on somebody that they don't have full confidence in. "Emailing Dan Mixter" would probably only confirm that.

I'm sure all of the systems being discussed here have some great attributes and price can always be debated. Gino, as to the automotive comparison, I was only following suit but I still feel it's accurate.

I'm sure Fellers and Casey made money on me. There's no crime in that, we all do it every day. Service is worth something to me. I think Fellers has reason to maintain their reputation, that means keeping me happy. So far they have and I expect no less in the future.

iSign

Attacking Casey for not being a Merchant Member is ridiculous, he only responded to some obvious attacks on his product.

in case you hadn't noticed... this has already turned into a non-confrontational thread... or should I say had turned...

"attacking" huh? did that happen? ..or was it more of an observation of his previous status of not being a Merchant?

"he only responded to some obvious attacks"

hmmm... "only"?
...I think the length and breadth of his posts are mutually exclusive of any chance for using the word "only" ...even without getting into the content of those posts...

but if you do have a closer look at the content, ahhhh nevermind :Sleeping:

Techman

Ripping is a processor intensive activity. I

Yes it is,, but RIP'ing is also limited by the software. If the software is inefficient at moving data blocks around then it will not matter how fast the CPU is.. Flexi is not a speed demon.

SignBurst PCs

Flexi Ripping....

You're right. Good hardware will only get you so far with ripping in Flexi.

It is interesting. While at the show in Atlantic City a couple of months ago, we were asked to run a new version of Flexi (actually it's silghtly less capable counterpart, Photoprint) on our RIP station during our demo. We found HUGE increases in RIP time with the newest Production Manager. I mean 4-10 longer RIP times. I went over to Flexi and talked to some of guys (and gals) and found that the new color engine is much more intensive and therefor RIP times suffered, but better color was a result. They assured me that there was a "patch" coming out in a couple of weeks that would resolve the issue.

As a result, I had to swith back to the previous version of the PhotoPrint software for the sake of the demo and we were all good again.

Overall though, it is safe to say that a faster processor and more RAM would be a good idea (in my opinion).