• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thinking about getting a Big Squeegee?

ABPGraphics

Alright, My boss and I are thinking about getting a big squeegee and we're wondering what route would be the best to go. We have a Roland SP 300V (30 inch printer for those of you who don't know Rolands). Our shop is too small so we have no room for a large laminater and we've recently been looking into the 32 Inch laminator tool on the big squeegee website. Is this what we should be aiming for? We're using Oraguard 210 on Oracal vinyl. What do you guys recomend?

Monsterkidz

We've been using ours since we got it. Mostly use it for premasking and laminating small jobs, so we don't have to switch out the 54" rolls on our Laminator.

Learning was pretty easy, right out the box. Don't be nervous.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I'm always here to help you chose the tools that will fit your needs. Don't be afraid to call me. 580-585-2440

You can order through the link in my signature.

joeshaul

210's a little bit nastier to apply with the big squeegee due to the thin backing on it.

Dale posted a few techniques on a thread regarding it a little while back at the following thread.
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65006

Basically you will need to pull the backing from the laminate as you push the squeegee, if you push the squeegee too far ahead it will fold/flip the laminate over due to the thinner backing and possibly create air bubbles where it creases. Dale suggests applying a transfer tape to the back to harden up the backer a bit more, I use Oracal 210 mainly because it's inexpensive though, so adding cost to it doesn't really work with my business. I'm thinking about switching over to 3M cast though and charging premium price for premium materials, still on the fence between primarily using it or 3951/290.

So there's a little bit more technique and learning for the 210 laminate. I honestly haven't used the BS for any other kind of laminate, but others report better results, and for applying vinyl to substrate the BS's awesome. Definitely worth the money, just be prepared for a little extra learning on 210.

GypsyGraphics

The day after I got my first Big Squeegee, I had 10 high school kids here preparing for a food drive. We watched the Big Squeegee videos on You Tube... they were making banners, masking and laying vinyl within hours.

Not much of a learning curve.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
There is a new video in my web site that shows applying masking to thin backed vinyl. the masking increases the stiffness and helps the backing off so you don't need to pull on the backing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get the 36" one and get used to it. In no time at all, you'll be good at it.

Then do yourself a favor and get a bigger one for the prints you outsource and need to put on substrates in your own shop. Be prepared.

TresL

The biggest key is to get everything flat & straight before you start.
Only issues I've had where do to not starting correctly.

I use mine to laminate with everything from 1.5mil to 12mil.

gabagoo

Heck I just put down 24 18" x 24" prints on coro inless than an hour!!!! using the BS 38" works like a charm