• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This is what happens when you don't wrap with cast vinyl.

HulkSmash

We bid on this job a while back, didn't get it.

So they come back with this. It was all Permanent calendared vinyl, cracked, burned, looking like AIDs.

Now we got to redo the whole thing. After paying for the full wrap - ~2400 they couldn't afford the full wrap again, so we had to do a partial for them.

The type of sign shops that do this, make my business so successful. I love it. So, if you're using calendered vinyl for wraps - stop. It may look pretty when leaving, but give it a couple months.

Attachments

• IMAG0664.jpg
    IMAG0664.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 107
  • IMAG0660.jpg
    IMAG0660.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0659.jpg
    IMAG0659.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG0661.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0658.jpg
    IMAG0658.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 98

gabagoo

How the heck can you do a wrap with calendered vinyl? The hood looks pretty typical of calendered or even cast after many years.
How old is the wrap?

petepaz

wow that looks like it's been on there for years. also looks like it sucks taking it off. good luck with that one

J

john1

Wonder how much shame they feel for not going with you in the first place, That's gotta hurt pretty bad after seeing this.

"Man that Colorado Signs is crazy, They wanted $xxxx and this guy is only charging us $2400"

Letterbox Mike

How the heck can you do a wrap with calendered vinyl?

It's definitely possible. There's a shop here in our town that does this on all of their wraps. We've redone a few of them, one seemed to be Oracal 3165RA and one looked like 3M IJ35. But they charge less than half of what Colorado's competition is charging. It takes some balls to charge $2400 for a full wrap on a minivan and still use calendered. Not that $2400 is a lot, we'd charge more, but that's a lot for a hack job.

The bad thing about our friendly competition is they'd have charged $1000 at most for that job. I've actually had people say to me "well, you're more than 3 times more than XXX signs, but even if their job fails once or twice in 5 years and I have to pay to have it redone, I'm still saving money vs going with you". Unbelievable...

Hicalibersigns

We just picked up a fleet job that looked pretty much like that. They brought the first truck in for removal, and we did it for free with the understanding that we would base our price for future removals on how long this one took. It's a re-brand job for 121 trucks.

This is the second fleet package we have gotten for the same reason.

YAY!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think T3 has a thread going about this same thing.... something about a Crack-N-Peel vinyl job......... :rolleyes:

Suz

Gee Wow is right! Thanks for the pics, I won't even consider calendered for anything like that now. Well worth the price to buy the Cast!

HulkSmash

It's definitely possible. There's a shop here in our town that does this on all of their wraps. We've redone a few of them, one seemed to be Oracal 3165RA and one looked like 3M IJ35. But they charge less than half of what Colorado's competition is charging. It takes some balls to charge $2400 for a full wrap on a minivan and still use calendered. Not that $2400 is a lot, we'd charge more, but that's a lot for a hack job.

The bad thing about our friendly competition is they'd have charged $1000 at most for that job. I've actually had people say to me "well, you're more than 3 times more than XXX signs, but even if their job fails once or twice in 5 years and I have to pay to have it redone, I'm still saving money vs going with you". Unbelievable...

Man it's sad..
Shops around here, use IJ35, for wraps all the time, and charge, and TELL the customers it's cast vehicle vinyl. I feel bad that the customer get stomped.. but nothing i can do about it.