• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on this design

Pat Whatley

New town police car graphics. Honest opinions, reaction, critiques, and criticism welcomed.

Attachments

• HAYNES.jpg
    HAYNES.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 114

Billct2

I agree too busy, both the graphic decorations and fades.
I'm glad to see pretty straight forward black & white cop cars are becoming the norm again.
Too many depts were trying to outdo each other and started looking like race cars or tow trucks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Agreed with too much/many effects.

Usually, they want to be noticed immediately and with all those bevels, shadings and other things kinda hide the fact, it's a police vehicle. Also, around these parts, most departments want something reflective like a badge or crest near the front on the fender and near the back. That way at night, especially on a dark vehicle, something will light up to show their presence.

oksigns

The gradient fill on the type does not provide enough contrast to be read especially against that strong stroke on the smaller type.

Last edited:

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Honestly, the only thing I'm sure it says is Police. Everything else appears (to my eye) very difficult to read. I can't decide if it's the gradient, that's it's not spaced well, or some combo. And do they not have their jurisdiction on there, or can I just not see it?
And I, too, would think they'd want reflective for visibility at night.
I like the font you used for police, though.

jfiscus

Rap Master
You can't really read it at all, even the word police is hard to read.
It is also all scrunched up close together in that one area, leaving the rest of the side "empty".
I would go with a secondary color/stroke of white to outline the letters with, and lose the arches(?) along the top.

Attachments

• Untitled-11.jpg
    Untitled-11.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 116

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Something you hafta or at least should keep in mind...... while it's designed to fit this particular vehicle, once all the tweaks are ironed out, how will it fit a cruiser or a van or some other vehicle ?? Will it be easily broken apart and put back together to fit an entirely different set of parameters ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well for consistency Gino a bad design will transfer to any vehicle and still look bad.

Very well, that's another way of looking at it. I don't usually consider doing things that way, but it could work for you. I think that's something a friend of mine calls "Polishing a Turd" :rolleyes:

Craig Sjoquist

With a design you have no control over,.. I would present with one color white, gold, real gold, & some other lighter color if it calls for.

That fading just does not work well.

Here in Orlando our police cars say ..... PO lice or on other side it says Pol ice ... been that way for 30 years that I know of, & they look like they belong in a parade, the private security cars look better & more intimidating.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So,
is this the proposed layout for the undercover-unmarked vehicles?

wayne k
guam usa

Jillbeans

It has zero contrast, which is bad for an emergency vehicle.
And it's busier than a cat trying to cover sh!t on a marble floor.
Please do them up an alternative, in your clean punchy style, Pat.
Love....Jill

SignManiac

I find it refreshing and bold. I'm tired of the plain old, easy to read police cars. The only thing I would add is perhaps a little diamond plate or possibly bolts of electricity to add excitement to it. Police cars need to stand out and this certainly does. Great job!

ActionGraphics

I agree with the contrast and readability critiques. Here's a design I did a couple years ago to show the direction I would go for readability.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Police_Cars_12_2013.jpg
    Police_Cars_12_2013.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 103

Snydo

Possibly the worst looking police vehicle ever....is that four snow geese pooping on the word police? or is that a bridge? The chiefs head, the gradient, etc......hopefully you can steer them in another direction.