• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

tipping UPS or fed/Ex driver for holidays

how much are you tipping UPS or fed/Ex driver for holidays

• zero, they get paid enough

Votes: 59 54.6%
  • 1 to 10 ... cookies or cash minimum gesture

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • 11 to 20

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • 21 to 50

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • over 50

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

Billct2

Because tipping is generally used in service industries where the wages are low and tipping is expected as a part of their income.
I think the way people are discussing this here it really isn't a tip, it's a gift.

genericname

I'm totally lost. When did tipping have anything to do with how much someone makes? "Excuse me sir, could you please tell me how much money you make per year so I can decide if I want to tip you?"

Considering that we both have a system that allows below minimum wage payment because it assumes that tipping will supplement a person's pay, it has everything to do with how much someone makes.

I think my realtor did a bang up job, but I'm not sending him a further incentive because I enjoy my house.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You have a good point there. Why tip at all ??

If one does their job and does it well, do you need to reward them more than they ask.... other than saying.... keep the change ??

For the postman, UPS, FedEx, bank teller, Sushi chef, car salesman, plumber, sign maker, girl holds the SLOW/STOP sign for DOT, meter reader, toll booth attendant, internet provider, all of your vendors, all of your grocery checkout people and the list goes on............... who all do a job for an agreed upon pay scale.... why should we pay them more at certain times of the year, so the rest of the year, when we're complaining about how you want to save pennies on your next ink purchase, the next package that comes late... if at all, the used car that doesn't work a week later and whatever else..... where are you big tippers then ??

Look, I'm all for tipping, but only if the situation warrants it. Waitresses or waiters, bartenders, kid cutting the grass, errand boy, employees [my employees.... not someone elses], but not someone already doing their job with a possible intention of extorting more money from you at a holiday. :doh:

genericname

I may have to see a doctor, Gino. I find myself agreeing with you way too much today.

Loved my visit to Japan for these reasons. No tipping whatsoever. Most actually see it as an insult, as satisfaction for the job is reward enough. Because of that, they also have a system that isn't based on the assumption that the customer will pay more just out of pity.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I may have to see a doctor, Gino. I find myself agreeing with you way too much today.

Loved my visit to Japan for these reasons. No tipping whatsoever. Most actually see it as an insult, as satisfaction for the job is reward enough. Because of that, they also have a system that isn't based on the assumption that the customer will pay more just out of pity.
When you leave the doc's, don't forget to tip him.

Last tip I gave someone was..... not to park in front a fire hydrant. Worth = :corndog:

VolunteerSign

Great (at least I thought so) tipping story. I owned a restaurant for a number of years. One day one of the waitresses didn't show up for work so I waited tables. I had a party of about 8 come in and I served them. When they started to pay the bill they handed me a $20 tip. I said, "1st off I'm the owner and you don't have to tip me. 2nd I suck as a waitress".

Without missing a beat the customer said "It's my money I can tip whomever I wish..and you are right you do suck as a waitress".

genericname

Great (at least I thought so) tipping story. I owned a restaurant for a number of years. One day one of the waitresses didn't show up for work so I waited tables. I had a party of about 8 come in and I served them. When they started to pay the bill they handed me a $20 tip. I said, "1st off I'm the owner and you don't have to tip me. 2nd I suck as a waitress".

Without missing a beat the customer said "It's my money I can tip whomever I wish..and you are right you do suck as a waitress".

:ROFLMAO:

There would have been a draft with how fast that $20 would've returned to my wallet.

VolunteerSign

These were fantastic people who went on to put me in touch with the good folks at Maker's Mark who declare they have the first right of refusal to buy the recipe for my BBQ sauce lol.

I could use the script font from the lower part of this sign but on a four foot high sign it's unidentifiable.

Anyway no need for a :thread

Let's all spread some cheer for the holidays.

Attachments

• colorado.jpg
    colorado.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 342

Chriswagner92

We always had the same UPS guy and we always baked him cookies or fudge or anything really, he was a good guy and joked with me when i ordered a package under Captain Chris Wagner, PHD.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i always tip the ups driver

they always accommodate us if we are a few minutes late, getting pickups ready
or some other problem

15-20 years ago I would absolutely do something for my UPS guy. He was my regular driver and would go above and beyond to get there as early as possible and make sure I got the package if I wasn't at the shop. I had his cell number and could call and schedule for him to meet me at his next stop if I really needed a package quickly.

Now everything is automated -- the stops on their routes are determined by computer. You never know when they'll arrive. Seems I get a different driver each time. It's gotten so bad that if I'm expecting something, I'll call the local office and have them hold it at will-call so I can pick it up myself first thing in the morning.