• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips on how to sell to an un-decicive client?

peavey123

Hi All,

Okay so to start. I had a customer recently. Great guy, great company but maybe not-so great (in this case) vehicle graphics. He had me design up a few wrap designs for his work van. He wanted 3 design concepts. First, a copy of something he already had done. (first image), second a totally new bold design (second image) and lastly another wrap design for a product he is selling. (third image) He paid for all 3 designs which is great and all, but I really wanted one of the wraps in my portfolio.

My customer absolutely loved the wrap concept I presented him, but his wife wanted him to stick to the original look. He would ask me what I thought. My response was about how I've actually seen very very similar plumbing vans in the same area with the tap and blue backgrounds etc and how something different might make his company more memorable, but I didn't really know what else to say!? I'm a crappy salesman. I know..

So he teeter-tottered a few times and eventually went back to the original design. crap.

My question to you all is. Can you help me become a better salesman? What could I have said that could have changed his mind for good? Are there any links for me to check out? or books to read? Can you help me?

Thank you!

Attachments

• MP_van_proof7.jpg
    MP_van_proof7.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 98
  • MP_vanconcept1.jpg
    MP_vanconcept1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 73
  • stopassure_vanconcept2.jpg
    stopassure_vanconcept2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 82

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, you need something to be able to sell for obvious reasons to up-sell someone.

In your case, the first one is very outdated. The second one doesn't do anything for me and the third one.... even less.

To sell something and be good about it, only means you know your product inside out and stand by it 110%. If you believe in it, you can generally make others believe in it.

One of the first things to know about being a good salesperson is knowing when to shut up and listen. The next one is when to stop inputting information, so as not to put the customer into overload.

Do your spiel, discuss it a few minutes and then have a questions & answers session for a few more minutes with your knock-out follow up. If all the parties aren't present, then ask to wait until they can be. Otherwise, you're depending on someone who doesn't know sh!t from shinole to do your spiel to his wife or partner. If all parties are there and can't make up their minds, just ask if you can be of any assistance as you need to get going. Then tell them, you'll be in touch with them to sign the necessary papers and get your deposit and get the show on the road.

It sounds easy, but it basically comes down to a couple of minutes for the whole thing to transpire. If they bleed you dry, hem & haw over nothing and ask countless questions, you need to have a few lines ready to tell them to sh!t.... or get off the pot. This is business and you take it very seriously. Stop wasting everyone's time. You know what you're doing, what's good for them and you will take them in a direction which can only help them. Of course, you need to put it into language that is befitting to you, but that's how doctors do it, real estate people, lawyers and just about everyone that needs a final decision. It's really cut'n dry business schmooze.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not trying to pick on you but Gino's onto something when he says he wasn't crazy about the designs. Perhaps the client is indecisive because he wasn't thrilled with any of them.

If you're seriously interested in becoming a better salesperson, have a look at the audio sales training by J. Douglas Edwards. This is some older stuff but it's still as good as it gets and will take you from low confidence to full understanding and capabilities of what to do in any number of sales encounters in about eight hours.

Bly

This sort of endless toing and froing over one vehicle wrap just does my head in.

I do pretty much what you've done - make suggestions and offer a clean design.

If they decide to make their van look like a brochure designed by their receptionist I do the job, take their money and move on.

Techman

To add to the list.

Zig Ziglar has a book.. closing the sale.
Brian Tracey has Closing the sale.

All of which will do wonders for selling.

And then, educate me because I have no clue on how to design anything..
Why did you use that long line of script under the name?
How about shorter... "Turn water off with a click?"

Why did you add a "1" on the phone number?
Why the small phone number low on the back of the van?

peavey123

Hey Gino, Thanks. I get what you are saying and it's making me think that I really just need help talking to people in general? I'm a weirdo or something? I'm either too apathetic or I'm too blunt. I need to find a happy medium. To the point and professional.

You really think I should have talked to my clients wife? haha

Thanks for the link to that Fred! Cheers!

Oh an to be clear the first design wasn't mine..I think it was the wife's design to be honest. Second and third were quick concepts. Client loved the second direction.

peavey123

To add to the list.

Zig Ziglar has a book.. closing the sale.
Brian Tracey has Closing the sale.

All of which will do wonders for selling.

And then, educate me because I have no clue on how to design anything..
Why did you use that long line of script under the name?
How about shorter... "Turn water off with a click?"

Why did you add a "1" on the phone number?
Why the small phone number low on the back of the van?

Cool! I will check those out! Thanks Tech.

The long line of script was the tagline the customer had to have on there. I tried getting him to change it up but he insisted so there it be.

The "1" is just what us dumb canadians do up here on toll-free numbers. Local numbers don't have the one though...do you not do that where your from?

And I dunno what design you are talking about in regards to the small phone number on back of the van?

TammieH

You really think you could ever have more say than the guy's wife? :ROFLMAO:

You have a lot to learn young man!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If all else fails.
take a hand gun with a laser sight and use it as a pointer during the presentation of your layouts.
Worked for Homeland Security in NY, should close the deal fairly quickly.

wayne k
guam usa

peavey123

If all else fails.
take a hand gun with a laser sight and use it as a pointer during the presentation of your layouts.
Worked for Homeland Security in NY, should close the deal fairly quickly.

wayne k
guam usa

ah, but we don't have handguns up here in Canada. I have a deadly snow brush though. It has a telescopic handle and crazy sharp ice scraper. Should I put a laser on that? or?...geez sales is tough...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You really think you could ever have more say than the guy's wife? :ROFLMAO:

You have a lot to learn young man!

:thread Ya know, that's a rather true statement, but if ya know your stuff, anyone.... even a wife can listen..... and learn.

True story. Guy and his wife came in about two or three weeks ago for the final choosing of colors for their sign. She had the color scheme all worked out and figured she could outmaneuver me. I had no problems with what she/they picked, however, I knew it wouldn't work, but I gave her enough rope to hang herself. She wanted the metallic gold vinyl on a black background. I agreed that while it worked well, it won't work as well outside. They should consider the gold leaf vinyl as they DID NOT want real gold leaf. She said.... are you just trying to get more money out of us ?? Nope. I'm trying to explain to you all of your options and I'd like you to try something and if you still insist, I'll give in. I took some metallic gold leaf and cut a few slivers and put it on a piece of black PVC, then some slivers of gold leaf vinyl along side on the same piece of black. I said, follow me outside. It was a very cloudy dull/dark day about 4 in the afternoon. We got outside and while she was still walking out, she said, oh my, look how that gold just sparkles. I explained that the metallic will reflect what it's surrounding is. Dull day, dull reflection. Bright day, bright reflection. Now, the gold leaf vinyl was sparkling and all shiny as any get out and she just couldn't believe I was telling her the truth, until she saw it for herself. I made two wonderful friends that day and they will believe anything I say from this point forward. In fact, this lady's sister has a business with 5 locations and they are in the process right now of doing a major face-lift and re-doing all the stores. Guess who got a sparkling recommendation ?? Guess who will be doing the signs this Spring ??

DesireeM

I don't see a reason you can't put the design in your portfolio. Mock it up on a really nice 3D template and show it off. Just because it wasn't chosen doesn't mean it never existed. The design is your intellectual property and you should use it if you're proud of it. What does it matter if it was installed or not?

Also +1 for seeking to improve your sales skills instead of blaming the customer.

player

:thread Ya know, that's a rather true statement, but if ya know your stuff, anyone.... even a wife can listen..... and learn.

True story. Guy and his wife came in about two or three weeks ago for the final choosing of colors for their sign. She had the color scheme all worked out and figured she could outmaneuver me. I had no problems with what she/they picked, however, I knew it wouldn't work, but I gave her enough rope to hang herself. She wanted the metallic gold vinyl on a black background. I agreed that while it worked well, it won't work as well outside. They should consider the gold leaf vinyl as they DID NOT want real gold leaf. She said.... are you just trying to get more money out of us ?? Nope. I'm trying to explain to you all of your options and I'd like you to try something and if you still insist, I'll give in. I took some metallic gold leaf and cut a few slivers and put it on a piece of black PVC, then some slivers of gold leaf vinyl along side on the same piece of black. I said, follow me outside. It was a very cloudy dull/dark day about 4 in the afternoon. We got outside and while she was still walking out, she said, oh my, look how that gold just sparkles. I explained that the metallic will reflect what it's surrounding is. Dull day, dull reflection. Bright day, bright reflection. Now, the gold leaf vinyl was sparkling and all shiny as any get out and she just couldn't believe I was telling her the truth, until she saw it for herself. I made two wonderful friends that day and they will believe anything I say from this point forward. In fact, this lady's sister has a business with 5 locations and they are in the process right now of doing a major face-lift and re-doing all the stores. Guess who got a sparkling recommendation ?? Guess who will be doing the signs this Spring ??

I wouldn't believe you either. :wink:

Techman

when a wife starts in with her input,, you have to ask.. "what do you know about graphics design?"

If she backs down you win. If she doesn't you never had a chance anyway. So you lost nothing and gained more time with a lot less aggravation..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't believe you either. :wink:

Haha..... you'd never get a chance to agree or disagree. I wouldn't let you in my shop in the first place. We have a door analyzing system and it stops riff raff from coming in. Don't know the technology, but it works. I've never seen you in or around my shop. See, it works just great.

How's Justin doing these days ?? :ROFLMAO:

rjssigns

For what it's worth dealing with a husband/wife or group is problematic at best. We all know why so I'll not rehash. My absolute best experiences ever have been when we deal with we call a single point of contact. The HMFIC that has full control and the gives the final okey dokey.

One of our clients has a staff artist that handles everything. When I see his name on the caller ID I know it will be a slam dunk. Single point of contact.

We've done work for Fortune 100 companies. Slam dunk again. Single point of contact.

Don't worry though Death by Committee is alive and well...

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
They may have chosen the original design over yours because it sells the brand, their product, and connects the two. They may have seen more value in that concept, over two separate designs and two vehicles to accomplish the same goal.

On a side note, I'm not a fan of mirrored graphics on the hood in your last example. In my opinion, more people will view it when the vehicle is parked or driving head-on, than they will looking in their rear view mirror. Why cater to a small segment that doesn't have the time to read it and frustrate your larger audience?